Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 11:46 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,170 times

Advertisements

I know York County gets the local networks out of Charlotte and I guess that WIS from Columbia and/or WSPA from Spartanburg reach up to York as well.

I was just wondering what would be the preference for someone in the Rock Hill/Fort Mill area who wants to watch a local newscast?

I would think it would be frustrating from a local news-viewing standpoint to be part of a media market where the newscasts focus on an entirely different state (North Carolina).

I guess in Spartanburg we're lucky to be in the smaller GSP media market and to have our own local news station (WSPA) but actually in terms of city population, Rock Hill is larger than Spartanburg.

Would Rock Hill ever get its own ABC, NBC or CBS affiliate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM

174 posts, read 502,259 times
For REALLY local news, we have a cable channel called "CN2".

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
We have DirecTV with local stations and all the locals are Charlotte stations. We know more about NC politics and Charlotte's problems, sports and weather. We talked to DirecTV to see if they would give us at least Spartanburg or Columbia which would give us some SC news ... but we are in the wrong area. Those with Comporuim Cable have CN2 the local Rock Hill station owned by Comporium.

Back in the days of the antenna on our chimney we had Charlotte stations and Columbia, Spantanburg, Asheville and Greenville too. :

Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
If it's still the same from three years ago when I was there, the cable company airs the WIS 7 o'clock news cast on Channel 2, but everything else is out of Charlotte. Charlotte will actually probably give you more local news than WIS. WSOC and WBTV both have people devoted to York, Lancaster and Chester while something major has to happen before WIS will send a crew up that far.

CN2 will give you, as someone else put it, "really local news." I'm not sure if Comporium lets WSPA air, but again, they'd be less local than WIS. The only thing about WSPA and WIS is that they would at least concentrate on South Carolina instead of North Carolina. But the tri-county area is in an odd place. Growing up in Lancaster, I knew more about North Carolina and Duke sports than I ever did about South Carolina and Clemson.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM

25 posts, read 55,598 times
Comporium used to transmit WSPA but no longer does. Something to do with the rules about more than one station from each network on a cable system.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 PM

218 posts, read 523,203 times
CN2 will give you the info that you want. They actually have become more of a "real" news program in the last year or so since they had some turnover. They cover more pressing news now instead of cheesy stuff. But you have to be a Comporium subscriber to get it. Comporium also show WIS's news at 5, 7 and 11 I believe it is. That would give you some state news.

WSOC does a good job of covering SC but you might just get a story or two everyday, whereas CN2 gives you more stuff.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM

161 posts, read 529,240 times
None of the Charlotte stations give a flip about York/Lancaster/SC news. Sure, they air SC commercials and charge Comporium a large amount for the right to carry their channels, but that's the extent of their involvement in SC. CN2 does a very good job of airing local news and I highly reommend it. Getting statewide SC news is a serious problem, especially since Comporium dropped WSPA(due to WSPA demanding 50 cents per subscriber per month). I've found WIS to be seriously biased in favor of the Republicans so it's not too useful. Probably the Rock Hill Herald is the best bet for SC news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties