Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:07 PM

299 posts, read 1,071,499 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We live in SC (just moved here) and my husband works in Charlotte. The HR person at his company claims that because we live in SC, his paychecks should have SC income tax withheld and NOT NC income tax. I don't think this is right. (Especially since for the last 5 months we lived in Ohio and he worked in Charlotte. Should we have been paying Ohio income tax instead of NC? No, of course not.)

Can someone who works in NC and lives in SC verify? I know I will have to file tax returns in BOTH states, but I believe withholdings should ONLY be in the state where he works. Am I right?

Thanks for any advice or input.

Pam

Last edited by SilverSagess; 10-23-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: adding more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 99,397 times
You pay the income tax of the state in which you reside but the unemployment tax of the state in which you work.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,043 times
When I worked in NC my employer took out NC taxes and I had to file on North Carolina and South Carolina received a copy of the NC filing along with a SC form ... just to be sure I was paying taxes somewhere. LOL

Here is the SC Dept of Revenue website.

SC Department of Revenue

This is under Individual Income FAQs and that is how my tax guy handled my return each year.

Q. What are the filing requirements for a South Carolina resident working in another state?

A. As a resident of South Carolina, you are taxed on all your income regardless of where it is earned. In order to avoid double taxation, South Carolina would allow a tax credit for the taxes that you had to pay to the other state on the wages earned in that state. For South Carolina purposes, you would file the SC1040 with the SC1040TC. A copy of the other state’s return and federal return must be attached to the filing of the South Carolina return.
Code Sections 12-6-2220(6), 12-6-3400
Last revised 12/11/07

Old 10-24-2009, 11:08 PM

231 posts, read 576,691 times
I live in SC and work in Charlotte, and I have NC income tax taken out of my check only. When I have my taxes done, I do have to file with both states but you do not pay taxes for both states because one becomes a credit for the other.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 AM

107 posts, read 319,585 times
I too live in SC and work in Charlotte. You are taxed by where you work, therefore you get taxed by NC state. However, SC wants a cut of that (of course) and when you file you must do it for both states. Which is kind of funny since I actually recieved some money back a few weeks ago becasue I paid too much to SC.

On the plus side NC has a higher unemployment insurance payout if you should be so unfortunate.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 99,397 times
Well I guess they do things differently in the Carolinas then. I work in NJ and live in NY. I pay NY state income tax and NJ state unemployment insurance.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 AM

218 posts, read 523,050 times
Same here, I filed both states last year but the amount you pay to NC becomes a credit to SC. So it actually worked out in my favor nicely last year.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 AM

299 posts, read 1,071,499 times
Thank you. This was exactly the info I was looking for. I didn't make sense to me to withhold for SC instead of NC. Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,277 times
Live in SC, work in NC as well. I paid NC and the tax man filed whatever he needed. Taxes in SC were less and I got an overall state refund.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 AM

176 posts, read 566,066 times
Default How does SC get the money?

If you work in NC, and NC withholds the taxes, do they send the money to SC when you file the SC form?

Several folks here have said it is a credit to SC. Is that just a paper credit or does SC actually get the money directly from NC?

thanks,
sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties