Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 PM

4 posts, read 15,851 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!,

I am possibly relocating to Sc from Long Island, NY. My husband and I are looking in the Fort Mill / Rock Hill areas as well as in subdivisions on Lake Wylie? Does anyone here live on Lake Wylie or the areas we are looking into?
I hear mixed reviews about sub divisions? Are the HOA fees really high? My husband wants to be on water so badly, Lake wylie sounds too good to be true. Wondering about Duke power plant ? Shopping?
My parents are relocating as well. It's unfortunate that we lived here our whole lives but you can't afford to retire here and if your just starting out (as we are) it's sooooo over priced! We've heard wonderful things about the Carolinas. How nice everyone is , how clean everything is, great place to raise children etc. We want the same things for us and our future family. My other questions are crime? hidden taxes ? bugs? Ice storms? and someone in another blog spoke of gophers? lol? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2006, 09:40 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJNJ
Hi Everyone!,

I am possibly relocating to Sc from Long Island, NY. My husband and I are looking in the Fort Mill / Rock Hill areas as well as in subdivisions on Lake Wylie? Does anyone here live on Lake Wylie or the areas we are looking into?
I hear mixed reviews about sub divisions? Are the HOA fees really high? My husband wants to be on water so badly, Lake wylie sounds too good to be true. Wondering about Duke power plant ? Shopping?
My parents are relocating as well. It's unfortunate that we lived here our whole lives but you can't afford to retire here and if your just starting out (as we are) it's sooooo over priced! We've heard wonderful things about the Carolinas. How nice everyone is , how clean everything is, great place to raise children etc. We want the same things for us and our future family. My other questions are crime? hidden taxes ? bugs? Ice storms? and someone in another blog spoke of gophers? lol? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Nancy

Hmm...I am not sure where to start? Well, first off I live in Tega Cay, SC off Lake Wylie. Lake Wylie crosses two statelines (NC and SC). There are quite a few areas that are off of Lake Wylie (Charlotte, NC-Clover/Lake Wylie, SC-Rock Hill, SC-Fort Mill, SC-and Tega Cay, SC). There are a so many subdivisions around here I have lost track. If your husband wants to be right on the lake...he will pay the premium prices...if he can stand to be close to the lake but not on it....life gets a little better. We have a subdivsion in Tega Cay that is called Lake Shore on Lake Wylie (there is no HOA). In other subdivisons I have heard the HOA run anywhere from $300 to $400 dollars a year. You mention Duke Power (I think they just had a name change to Duke Energy) and so I am assuming you are speaking of the nuclear plant which is located in Clover, SC (off Lake Wylie). Can't speak for everyone...but most do not seem to give it to much concern. Crime varies depending on where you are looking..you might take a look at the the local police department websites or the citydata site. I am originally from Southern CA and have never felt that I have lacked for places to go shopping around here. I am going to have to cut this short...my computer is acting up...we are have some pretty good thunder right now?...I will try to write later.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 PM

Thank you so much for answering my post! I will be checking the local police sites like you said. I am happy about the shopping!! I believe Lake Shore is one of the places we will be looking at. The Duke Energy plant scares me a little bit. "nuclear plant" alone is scary but if it isn't a big deal for the people who live there, I'll be ok with it. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 14,239 times
Hi. Just bought a house in fort mill in the reserve. Drove around the whole area including tega cay and loved it. We are also from long island and our parents are moving with us. I can't wait.....

Old 07-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdieso
Hi. Just bought a house in fort mill in the reserve. Drove around the whole area including tega cay and loved it. We are also from long island and our parents are moving with us. I can't wait.....
Congratulations cdieso!...and welcome to the area. Bit of trivia for you...when we first moved here we would drive by the one lone brick ranch home that sat atop a small knoll. It didn't happen to be very large in size yet the home sat surrounded by what appeared to be quite a bit of land. That home is gone now (it was moved to another location)...and in its place......The Reserve.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJNJ
Thank you so much for answering my post! I will be checking the local police sites like you said. I am happy about the shopping!! I believe Lake Shore is one of the places we will be looking at. The Duke Energy plant scares me a little bit. "nuclear plant" alone is scary but if it isn't a big deal for the people who live there, I'll be ok with it. Thanks so much for your help!
Your very welcome!....good luck with your search!

Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM

117 posts, read 449,792 times
We just bought a house in River Hills, in Lake Wylie. I love it! They have a website. Just search for River Hills Plantation. You can get a house on the water for a pretty decent price, too much for me( ours is not on the water) but if your used to high prices it may not seem high to you.
Good Luck!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinavery
We just bought a house in River Hills, in Lake Wylie. I love it! They have a website. Just search for River Hills Plantation. You can get a house on the water for a pretty decent price, too much for me( ours is not on the water) but if your used to high prices it may not seem high to you.
Good Luck!

Congratulations on your purchase erinavery! I hope you enjoy the lake and surrounding areas as much as we have.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 20,825 times
Default Nancy

Are you relocating to retire or have a job in the area near Fort Mill?

If not, Greenville, S.C. is a great place.

Thanks,

Old 07-31-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrimes76
Are you relocating to retire or have a job in the area near Fort Mill?

If not, Greenville, S.C. is a great place.

Thanks,
I wish I was retiring! Unfortunately no, we will be relocating b/c my husband can get a job in Charlotte, we were looking in those specific areas because ultimately waterfront/view is what we want. Thanks for your suggestions though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties