U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:43 AM
 
13 posts, read 36,918 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

23 years old.
Moved from Pittsburgh, PA.
Live right by the County Airport.

I had a few questions that so far have had no real answers to... Maybe I can find some help here. I've been reading manyyy past posts and theres a ton of good info on here.

The questions I have are nothing serious but still curious:

-SPORTS. I've found a place to watch Steeler games. No problem at all. Butttt it seems that not one single place South of Charlotte gets the NHL package on dish/directtv to watch my Pens. I already went with ****ty Comporium so I'm sticking with that at home for now.

-I'm a car guy and have seen alot of nice cars around town. Is there place(s) that people who are into cars usually go on nice weekend nights to see other cars and such? Back in Pitt for example it was this drive up and park burger joint.. sort of like Sonic.

-Where in Rock Hill do the people in their lower-mid twenties hang out? I know for clubs its 30 min. to Charlotte, but I'm just talking like more of a younger crowd bar. Not so much a club. Also any other spots not bar related?

-How do concealed carry licenses work down here? I heard you have to go through a class. Is that true?

I appreciate the help. So far it seems pretty nice. The weather is AMAZING. 50s-60s when Pitt is getting 6 inches at the same time. Love that.

-Vince.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Overland Park, KS
444 posts, read 1,184,997 times
Reputation: 171
Welcome! I'm 32 and moved from MD (Go Ravens) in 08. The weather is great here...I don't miss snow and bitter cold. I have DirecTV for the home sports packages and Comporium for the phone/internet. I have a wife and kids so I needed DTV more for home use . Comporium doesn't offer the MLB either.

Also a car guy here...there are car shows down here A LOT and they'll run March thru Nov it seems. There is a dirt track off exit 65? (I-77 Speedway). From what I hear, Cherry Road is the cruising strip, but use caution.

For the CCW (I think), there is a store Nichols Store - The Outdoor Sportsmans Paradise that offers the class once a month. I've been meaning to take it since I've been down here.

I also belong to a Baptist church if you're interested in that.

Send me a Pm if you want more info. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Autumn Cove, Lake Wylie, SC
393 posts, read 1,137,791 times
Reputation: 284
Another former Pittsburgher here...Welcome.

For the Pens, your best bet is to get Directv and get CenterIce. Hockey is not very big here with the natives, just among us transplants.
You can come to my house ...I NEVER miss a game...You can also watch games online, there are a few sites that stream games for free.

Bars...go uptown. You will find many there. There are a lot of local neighborhood bars around you might like. Try them out and see.
Lots of younger folks hang out near Winthrop and at the park near the coliseum.

Good luck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Rock Hill
174 posts, read 478,962 times
Reputation: 59
Tubby's on Cherry Road used to have street rod nights weekly, with good turnout. Bars - if you are near the airport, you know about Hoopers and the Endzone (live music). Other places you may want to check out are McHales on Main St. and Sammy's on Cherry Rd. Both have live music and a younger crowd. There's also The Money by Winthrop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
 
13 posts, read 36,918 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
For the CCW (I think), there is a store Nichols Store - The Outdoor Sportsmans Paradise that offers the class once a month. I've been meaning to take it since I've been down here.
How long do the classes run? And you can still carry whenever or is there limits or hows it work? Back in PA you go pay 30 backs they do a background... no felonys then you get to carry. 10 minutes tops ha. So this just seems a bit much but now that I look at it I guess PA is just very relaxed on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
Another former Pittsburgher here...Welcome.

For the Pens, your best bet is to get Directv and get CenterIce. Hockey is not very big here with the natives, just among us transplants.
You can come to my house ...I NEVER miss a game...You can also watch games online, there are a few sites that stream games for free.
Ya ya I've been watching online on justin.tv and ADT or whatever its called. Except for the games that have been on Versus/NHL network/that southern sports chan. that hawk & hurricane games show on. But I much rather watch it on a tv ha. Dropping Comporium for dish next season will be a must.
caps/phili/NYR/Detroit are all national games this month so I'm golden.

I truely might have to take you up on your offer for a game or two in March.
Where in Pittsburgh were you at by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulamb View Post
If you are near the airport, you know about Hoopers and the Endzone (live music). Other places you may want to check out are McHales on Main St. and Sammy's on Cherry Rd. Both have live music and a younger crowd. There's also The Money by Winthrop.
Ya I go to Hoopers a couple times a week. I get along with everyone there good. I heard endzone is more of a biker bar. But I heard they have cheap drafts so I've been tempted. Also talked to a younger girl Pens fan down here who said Mchales is the place to go. So I'll have to check that out.

I appreciate all the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Rock Hill
1,218 posts, read 2,836,553 times
Reputation: 387
A dirt track 25 min from Fort Mill? I like. Just checked out their website. Looks like ill have a dirt track close to my house!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Lancaster, SC
245 posts, read 981,424 times
Reputation: 68
For dirt tracks, there is one in Lancaster, just off of 521 and the other one that someone mentioned is in Chester County. Races start in the early spring and go through the fall. Also, in Kershaw there is a track that races BMW type cars, sporty, more expensive cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,999 times
Reputation: 10
The one in Chester is on Highway 9. Take I77 to exit 65 and turn right. You'll see it on the right. Great place to eat at that exit: The front porch. Beside McDonald's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
143 posts, read 290,985 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPX2 View Post
Welcome! I'm 32 and moved from MD (Go Ravens) in 08. The weather is great here...I don't miss snow and bitter cold. I have DirecTV for the home sports packages and Comporium for the phone/internet. I have a wife and kids so I needed DTV more for home use . Comporium doesn't offer the MLB either.

Also a car guy here...there are car shows down here A LOT and they'll run March thru Nov it seems. There is a dirt track off exit 65? (I-77 Speedway). From what I hear, Cherry Road is the cruising strip, but use caution.

For the CCW (I think), there is a store Nichols Store - The Outdoor Sportsmans Paradise that offers the class once a month. I've been meaning to take it since I've been down here.

I also belong to a Baptist church if you're interested in that.

Send me a Pm if you want more info. Thanks.

I'll be over to watch the Ravens and O's games. Here's to the BIRDS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top