U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 28,482 times

Advertisements

My husband just got transferred to Charlotte from Philadelphia and we are thinking of living in the Rock Hill area. I am an elementary teacher and have been reading these comments. I see that CMS is not the place to teach and have heard that Union County or York County would be better. I have 18 years of experience and wondered how my chances of getting a job would be for the 2010-2011 school year. I also would like to know if there are any job fairs in the next coming months for either district. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

533 posts, read 1,752,408 times
I don't think the job situation is improving much, but I've worked in UCPS and York as a school counselor and I prefer York! York is broken into 4 school districts, so they are not as big as UCPS which I like. I plan to stay in York. We haven't had any openings this year in my district and they only hired a handful of teachers before the start of this school year. Your best bet is to contact the school districts directly for job outlook. UCPS cancelled their job fair last year due to lack of jobs. York had fairs and I went, but I got my job later on by applying when it came open. Good luck in your search!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 25,298 times
Welcome to CLT. My wife and I are also from Philly. We live in Tega Cay. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 AM

Smile Philly Friend

Why did you move out of Philly and where is Tega Cay located? Do you like the area and was it a difficult adjustment for you and your wife. Since I was born and raised in the Phila. suburbs, I don't have any idea of what I'm getting myself into. Do you have any advice?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM

425 posts, read 1,499,453 times
We moved to Fort Mill from the Chester County PA area a suburb of Philly. We love it here. As they are getting another round of snow as I type i may complain it is a bit nippy but I will take this any day. I would think York County school would be preferable but all schools are facing MAJOR financial cuts right now so there is no safe bet. I work as a sub and i have gotten way less hours this year. As far as the transition it was very smooth. We had four girls and lucked out by finding teh perfect street in teh perfect neighborhood for us. I would say about 1/2 the moms stay home the others work outside the home. Many neighbors tele commute and some go to the city daily. My husband actually works in Lancaster Sc so he going to other way of all the traffic which is nice.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:52 PM

My husband doesn't start down in Charlotte permanently until the beginning of May so he's commuting every other week. We thought about looking in Rock Hill but have changed our minds after he spent last week driving through the area. He said he really liked Fort Mill and Balentyne.(sp?) I'm spending my time on the internet looking for school districts to apply to. I don't want to give up my current teaching contract until I find something down there. We live in Hatfield, PA which is close to Lansdale if you are familiar with that area. It is beginning to snow another round and I'm sick of it. We've gotten over 2 feet of snow in the last two weeks. Ugh!
Did you sub because you could not get a full time teaching job or did you just want to sub? I plan to apply to York County, Gaston, Union County (N.C) and Mecklenburg. Am I missing any that I should also look into? Also, why did you move down there and is your family still up here? Thanks!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 PM

10 posts, read 25,298 times
Bailey66,
Tega Cay is located within Fort Mill school district. We really like TC. It's like a big cul-de-sac and dead ends into Lake Wylie. TC is about 9 miles from Rock Hill. Ballantyne is nice, but can be expensive. Also traffic can be really bad at rush hour. The people down South are very nice,(lots of northern transplants) the weather is great, but it's hard to be away from family. We spent 13 years in North Wales, PA and loved it. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>