Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
299 posts, read 1,071,182 times
Reputation: 103

Advertisements

I have a question about your W2 when you work in NC and live in SC.

My husband works in Charlotte, but we live in York, SC. My question is: on my husband's W2, should Line 16 of the South Carolina State Filing Copy of your W2 have the same amount of "Wages, Tips, Etc" as your NC filing copy?

Lets say my husband earned $100,000 in 2009. On line 16 of the "State Filing Copy" section of his W2 would report his NC "State Wages, Tips, Etc." was $100,000 and Line 17 reports the amount of tax withheld to the state of NC. However, hubby must also report to the state of SC that he earned $100,000, so line 16 on his SC "State Filing Copy" of the W2 should say that had "State wages, tips, etc" of $100,000, correct????

The HR person at my husband's copy is COMPLETELY clueless. She altered hubby's W2 on April 12 (even though we pointed out a mistake to her on Feb 1 and she said there was nothing she could do about it) and she just sent it to us today!!!! Of course, I filed my taxes back in March, so now I have to file amended returns. But I believe the new W2 is wrong because it says his "State Wages, Tips, Etc." as reported to SC are $0. True, we did not EARN income in SC, but all of hubby's NC income was earned while we were residents of SC.

Can anyone in a similar situation please check their W2 and give me a definite answer? Or is there a tax pro that knows the answer to this? I don't want to file amended returns until I am SURE this info is correct. I can't believe that I would report $0 income to SC. Doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited by SilverSagess; 04-26-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM
 
334 posts, read 625,636 times
Reputation: 335
you should all someone who really knows the answer, maybe h and r block
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
299 posts, read 1,071,182 times
Reputation: 103
Yes, I have a call in to the DOR in SC... but I REFUSE to pay a tax specialist just because my husband's company REPEATEDLY messes this up. They have cost us tens of thousands of dollars this year (long story) and this is just the icing on the cake, today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
 
595 posts, read 1,622,028 times
Reputation: 391
You pay taxes in the state you work (NC) and that is credited to your SC state return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Reputation: 1975
I just took a quick look at the NC tax instruction booklet. It appears that you would owe NC income tax because the source of the income is wages from a profession carried on within that state. That is why the employer reported the wages and withheld tax for NC. In most cases, states have reciprocity with bordering states that prevent double taxation. You will still need to file returns with both states and report the income, but as DipDog3 states you will receive a credit on the SC return for the NC tax paid.

Last edited by janetvj; 04-26-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
299 posts, read 1,071,182 times
Reputation: 103
Yes, I understand that I pay my taxes to NC and get a credit in SC for taxes paid to NC.... but I am wondering if my W2 should state how much of my income was earned while we lived in SC.

We were partial year residents and the original W2 we got reported all income earned from the day we moved here until the end of the year as both NC and SC State Wages. The new W2 reports NO Wages in SC at all... this makes the SC NR (non-resident and part-year resident) form hard to fill out because there are no instructions as to what to do if you get a NEGATIVE number before you calculate your proration. I guess I can just put 0 as my proration percentage, but the instructions do not mention what to do with a negative number so... that lead me to believe that perhaps I should not have a negative number there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Reputation: 5102
Pay for the services of a tax professional. You should have had one do your return to begin with. This is not a problem if you knew what you were filling out. Taxes are withheld at the place of work, except in certain situations. As you have been told already, there is reciprocity bw SC and NC. Talk to an accountant now before more damage is done later on (not enough taxes withheld and you pay a penalty, for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
299 posts, read 1,071,182 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Pay for the services of a tax professional. You should have had one do your return to begin with. This is not a problem if you knew what you were filling out.
I don't appreciate this comment. What makes you think I don't know what I am filling out? This was rude and presumptuous. I am perfectly capable of filling out my own taxes, and have done so for 20 years. I filed 2009 taxes without any trouble... until the company altered the W2s AFTER tax day. I am capable of filing an amended return now, but I do not wish to do so unless I am sure that the amended W2 was done correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbit612 View Post
Taxes are withheld at the place of work, except in certain situations. As you have been told already, there is reciprocity bw SC and NC.
Again, I don't really appreciate the tone here. I am NOT asking WHERE taxes should be withheld. I already understand taxes are withheld where you work, not where you live, and it is being handled correctly.

Really, I was asking a SIMPLE question, and someone who works in NC and lives in SC could answer it quite simply if looking at a copy of their W2. Does Line 16 report ANY number to SC when your income is earned in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Lancaster, SC
245 posts, read 1,019,510 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
I have a question about your W2 when you work in NC and live in SC.

My husband works in Charlotte, but we live in York, SC. My question is: on my husband's W2, should Line 16 of the South Carolina State Filing Copy of your W2 have the same amount of "Wages, Tips, Etc" as your NC filing copy?

Lets say my husband earned $100,000 in 2009. On line 16 of the "State Filing Copy" section of his W2 would report his NC "State Wages, Tips, Etc." was $100,000 and Line 17 reports the amount of tax withheld to the state of NC. However, hubby must also report to the state of SC that he earned $100,000, so line 16 on his SC "State Filing Copy" of the W2 should say that had "State wages, tips, etc" of $100,000, correct????

The HR person at my husband's copy is COMPLETELY clueless. She altered hubby's W2 on April 12 (even though we pointed out a mistake to her on Feb 1 and she said there was nothing she could do about it) and she just sent it to us today!!!! Of course, I filed my taxes back in March, so now I have to file amended returns. But I believe the new W2 is wrong because it says his "State Wages, Tips, Etc." as reported to SC are $0. True, we did not EARN income in SC, but all of hubby's NC income was earned while we were residents of SC.

Can anyone in a similar situation please check their W2 and give me a definite answer? Or is there a tax pro that knows the answer to this? I don't want to file amended returns until I am SURE this info is correct. I can't believe that I would report $0 income to SC. Doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

My husband works in NC and we live in SC. I'm looking at his W2 for 2009 and the wages are the same in box 16, however, for state, box 15, it does say NC. There is no mention of SC on the W2 at all except for our address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Reputation: 5102
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSagess View Post
I don't appreciate this comment. What makes you think I don't know what I am filling out? This was rude and presumptuous. I am perfectly capable of filling out my own taxes, and have done so for 20 years. I filed 2009 taxes without any trouble... until the company altered the W2s AFTER tax day. I am capable of filing an amended return now, but I do not wish to do so unless I am sure that the amended W2 was done correctly.



Again, I don't really appreciate the tone here. I am NOT asking WHERE taxes should be withheld. I already understand taxes are withheld where you work, not where you live, and it is being handled correctly.

Really, I was asking a SIMPLE question, and someone who works in NC and lives in SC could answer it quite simply if looking at a copy of their W2. Does Line 16 report ANY number to SC when your income is earned in NC?
Quote: Is there a tax pro?

I live in SC and work in NC, and had been part time residents just like you. In fact, at one point we had 3 state returns and a bezillion other schedules. We never had problems like you have been having. There was nothing rude about my comment. Even in your piror posts, you seem to want tax advice which most accountants would not do on public forums because they are discouraged from doing that. Tax laws and forms change constantly, that's why most accountants do continuing education. Your point about doing your taxes for 20 years has nothing to do with your ability to keep up with the complexity of the tax law AND your own personal circumstances. The advice to consult for a FEE is for your own benefit. If you don't want to take it, fine...whatever floats your boat. Your best bet is to call the IRS. It's free and the advice they will give you is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top