Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 PM

704 posts, read 2,070,992 times

Advertisements

Do the fire departments sell fire extinguishers?

I was told to get one of two types:
1. type 3
or
2. ABC

maybe they are the same thing, not sure.

I guess someone on disablity income would find one of those types at Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot.

any other possible sources?
any organizations that assist low income people with such things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 PM

595 posts, read 1,623,899 times
For the home, you can get a type K from walmart for like $20.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 AM

to get the All-State discount they require a type 3 or ABC model, for home owner insurance discount.

they only require 1 smoke alarm though, when state farm said they required 4.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 AM

193 posts, read 634,108 times
I saw you had posted a couple of other threads about the same time as this one regarding having cable TV, looking at satellite (Dish), and playing the lottery. I would suggest saving money on those, and buying a good fire extinguisher, if you are concerned about safety (not to minimize your personal problems or to judge; just pointing out that having a good fire extinguisher is a really good idea).

As the other person who responded said, Walmart should have good cheap ones. Also local hardware stores, Lowes, and the Depot should have them as well. The salespeople at the hardware stores can help you choose the right kind.

You did not say what it was for (e.g.- kitchen fires, electrical fires, etc.) so I am assuming you need a general multi-purpose one, and that is pretty much what an ABC (dry chemical) type is.

I haven't heard them referred to as Type 3, but I am not an expert.

Not that you can trust everything written on wikipedia, it appears to have a decent overview:

Fire extinguisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM

I went to Lowes, Walmart, and Home Depot and all had the same brand fore extinguisher, etc.
It was not as simple as ABC. There were 1A-10BC, 2A-10BC, 3A-40BC, etc.
Low was $18.00 and high was $69.00. I got what I think the insurance agent said I needed to get the discount, a 2A-10BC and it also said "3" uses on the box. Not red like the others, a white one, about $30. The house is for sale, so I only need what the insurance requires.

I only recently started buying one $1 lottery ticket a week.
I never do scratch off cards. I see too many people hooked on those. Buying $20 worth, winning $4 out of that, and the thrill gets them back in the store for $20 more.

I'm hoping cable companies would start charging, in my lifetime, so much per channel beyond a certain package. Basic Plus has 52 channels but I only watch maybe 7 of those. Basic Plus is $39.99, So I'm paying about $5.50 per channel for the ones I can use.

I think I mentioned in one thread a York County resident who worked for Time Warner or AT&T in Charlotte. She was not very pleased with her choices which are 1. none 2. and none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties