U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 AM

4,730 posts, read 18,420,661 times

Advertisements

Who does everyone recommend?

I Can choose: Comporium (to me they are high priced for what they offer)

AT&T

Windstream

Any others? I would like at least 3 mbps for internet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM

474 posts, read 1,656,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Who does everyone recommend?

I Can choose: Comporium (to me they are high priced for what they offer)

AT&T

Windstream

Any others? I would like at least 3 mbps for internet.
We had DirectTV come out for HDTV, but the installer seemed pretty clueless and wanted to drill holes and run cable all over our new house, so I told him to forget it. Went with Comporium with their HD-DVR and have been very happy with their service.

We also have Comporium for their internet and phone. Internet has been reliable, but pricey ($44.95 / month). With phone we just did bare bones local service and it runs about $20 / month.

We get a $10/month discount for bundling the 3 services.

I have been very happy with their customer service. Whenever I've called, I'm usually not on hold for more than a minute or two and their reps are much more knowledgeable than what I've experienced in the past with Time Warner or Bellsouth.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:35 PM

95 posts, read 364,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
We had DirectTV come out for HDTV, but the installer seemed pretty clueless and wanted to drill holes and run cable all over our new house, so I told him to forget it. Went with Comporium with their HD-DVR and have been very happy with their service.

We also have Comporium for their internet and phone. Internet has been reliable, but pricey ($44.95 / month). With phone we just did bare bones local service and it runs about $20 / month.

We get a $10/month discount for bundling the 3 services.

I have been very happy with their customer service. Whenever I've called, I'm usually not on hold for more than a minute or two and their reps are much more knowledgeable than what I've experienced in the past with Time Warner or Bellsouth.
I run Comporium internet with Vonage (moderator cut coming) at 24.99. I recall reading they still have about 2 years capital left. If and more likely when they go down I will move onto SunRocket or the like. Not a bad deal and the UK and Canada (I use both weekly) are included in the free long distance among several other countries. I have 4 phones in the house which the rings are driven just fine and use my local in house phone wiring. The wiring is isolated from the phone company. I had to change my router as it couldn't handle Comporium's bandwidth speed and didn't give me all that Comporium offered.

Comporium tech support is reliable and I believe open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I wish they would cut it back and lower their prices.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. The people we bought the house from had direct tv, so it's already wired for that. I may go with Comporiun fir now and Vonage as AT&T requires a commitment on some pricing.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:59 PM

95 posts, read 364,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The people we bought the house from had direct tv, so it's already wired for that. I may go with Comporiun fir now and Vonage as AT&T requires a commitment on some pricing.
I have absolutely no complaints with Vonage except they may go out of business within 2 years and my mistake in that I wasn't thinking and didn't use a virtual credit card number when I signed up allowing me for a quick out if I wanted. Due to Vonages current situation I would not sign up for Vonage today though I would definitely go VOIP as Comporium supports the bandwidth.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:01 AM

151 posts, read 537,572 times
I don't know if we got all the special treatment, but I must admit moving here from SoCAL almost a year ago I can tell you that Comporium pulled out all of the stops. We received a nice cooler with wheels, 6 months of premium movie channels, and very good customer service. In the same timeframe, the internet has been out twice, most recently because of an auto accident. I don't know what the issue was with the first outage, but seem to recall it was out of their hands. Very friendly folks, and when I had my second property wired the same technician showed up there as well so I felt like I already knew the team. We also use Vonage, which has been virtually issue free, but you're right their future is not guaranteed. I'd take Comporium any day over AT&T. In my industry we call them Mom & Pop operations, and they still treat their customers like customers, not numbers. P.S. When the premium channels went dark, we followed our action plan and signed onto NetFlix, life is good!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 AM

I do like the mom and pop operations for sure...so sometimes I gotta look out for my own $$$. Things I dont liek about some companies like TWC is that they contract a lot of stuff out. If you call to sign up for service, it takes a minute for a person to answer. To disconnect service, you will be on hold forever. Their service was good for me though.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:43 PM

390 posts, read 1,426,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Trader View Post
I run Comporium internet with Vonage (moderator cut coming) at 24.99. I recall reading they still have about 2 years capital left. If and more likely when they go down I will move onto SunRocket or the like. Not a bad deal and the UK and Canada (I use both weekly) are included in the free long distance among several other countries. I have 4 phones in the house which the rings are driven just fine and use my local in house phone wiring. The wiring is isolated from the phone company. I had to change my router as it couldn't handle Comporium's bandwidth speed and didn't give me all that Comporium offered.

Comporium tech support is reliable and I believe open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I wish they would cut it back and lower their prices.

I haven't received much in the way of tech support from Comporium. I had to call 6 times last weekend, and I got the same girl every time, and she suggested the same thing every time. Reboot and call back if that doesn't fix it. She refused to schedule a service call until I almost had a nervous breakdown all over her.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 AM

151 posts, read 537,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
I haven't received much in the way of tech support from Comporium. I had to call 6 times last weekend, and I got the same girl every time, and she suggested the same thing every time. Reboot and call back if that doesn't fix it. She refused to schedule a service call until I almost had a nervous breakdown all over her.
Sorry you had such a frustrating experience! However, wait untill you get on a call with the AT&T CSR, operating from a script based in India. You'll likely detect a hint of an accent, although you may be fooled, as the current trend is to replace first names with common American names. Make sure you place all pointed objects, and hand-guns far out of reach because you will certainly be frustrated after you spend several hours speaking with your friendly CSR based in India. The good news is the woman you were speaking with, although likely operating from a script as well, is the same everyday woman you go to church with, spend time at the park with the kids, and who is also raising a family perhaps just next door. She has not yet succumbed to the domino effect of "globalization", be thankful as she is likely based in Rock Hill, or in one of the surrounding communities contributing to the local tax base unlike her counterpart sipping a wonderful tea in Bangalore, India. Don’t get me wrong, I spent a good amount of time in India and loved my time there. The people of India are wonderful, and in my opinion they have some of the best food available in the world! At their consulate in San Francisco on the wall hangs a poster which reads “India’s number one contribution to the US, 100,000 thousand computer scientist each year”, or words to this effect. However, if I had a choice, I would rather that your miserable experience with a CSR agent take place with the woman down the street, than with the woman named Leslie in Bangalore, India.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:20 AM

251 posts, read 1,074,286 times
WIndstream and AT&T telephone and internet service ARE NOT available in Fort Mill. However, I must say Comporium Service (telephone, internet, cable) is quite good---customer service is light years ahead of AT&T (formerly Bellsouth) Time Warner, or either of the satelite companies. And, I'm amazed that someone would say their prices are high! As an example, Comporium cable internet is $5 a month cheaper than Time Warner, so is cable! Then, as someone mentioned, you save additional money by bundling. If you have telephone, internet, cable, and cell service, you save an additional $20---and only have to pay one bill. I've been amazed by people who move here and have a fit about the possibility of doing business with Comporium---and go to great lengths to avoid it-and know nothing at all about the company. By the way, most of the newest subdivisions in FM, RH, and LC have Comporium fiber optic cable installed directly to the house, an advanced system which provides the best possible video and internet service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties