U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM

704 posts, read 1,988,985 times

Advertisements

I've got a neighbor with no computer age 61, legally blind he says. All the neighbors wonder what test are done to show someone is legally blind. He can read the names of the songs off the back of a CD case.
He is getting disabled veterans benefits of 1510 a month. His wifes government check is 445 so they are doing ok with the only bills being 184 lot rent, cable TV and light bill.
He says he can not see out of his left eye and may get another $1400 a month because of that. Something about benefits and "services".
He owes the government $40,000 for some student loan. They kept his $250 rebate checks we all got.
He wants to know if next year when he turns 62 will they be able to garnish his check? He also thinks he will get his total VA check and all of his S.S. too. Is that correct?
I'm disabled and when I become retired, I'll get the larger of the two checks, if I am still disabled. If not, then I'd swith to S.S. and return to part time work or whatever I could do.
The couple is living well on what they get each month. The government may say....mmmm.....you are living well on almost $2000 a month we are going to keep part of your social security or part of your new benefit (due to total blindness - he says) toward what you owe us.
Can they do that?
The people I tried to call to ask are wanting me to provide his social security number, etc. so they can research and see his situation. Of course I do not have that, so I wondered if anyone in here was a disabled veteran and retired or have had their government checks garnished.
They kept his tax rebates but don't seem to be able to touch his VA check.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 PM

10,109 posts, read 10,455,942 times
You need to contact Pat Nivens, she is the director of our York County Veterans Affairs Office. She has an office in Rock Hill and York. That is her job to answer questions and help our local Veterans.

Veteran's Affairs (http://www.yorkcountygov.com/Departments/DepartmentsNZ/VeteransAffairs.aspx - broken link)

You can contact the Regional Office in Columbia, I don't have their telephone number. It's John E. Ballenger, Veterans Service Center Manager's office, 6437 Garners Ferry Rd, Columbia.

Did the neighbor ask you to get this info for him? If so, due to the Privacy Act he will have to authorize any release of info to you. If you are doing this because you are just curious I don't think the VA will give you the info. Of course you can ask general questions and perhaps get answers.

This is the VA Disability Compensation Rates for 2010. VA Disability Compensation Rates - Military Benefits - Military.com

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 05-24-2010 at 12:08 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM

704 posts, read 1,988,985 times
I've got his social security number, so he gave it to me. I'll give him the phone numbers and let him make the calls. Thanks.
He must be 80% with spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties