Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 04:02 PM

45,578 posts, read 60,936,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yeah, was going to post that. I am not surprised Ficker did well. Some people I talked to were upset with this "Liberal Larry" fellow they were reading about and thought Ficker had Trump's endorsement because of the photoshopped photos.
Hogan disappointed a lot of people who thought he'd push more conservative policies. What they forgot, or didn't take into account was that he faced a more or less hostile Legislature both terms and even more so during his second term after Busch and Miller died and there was a veto proof majority against him

Hell, they were passing stuff the last three years they knew he'd veto just so they could say they overrode it. They also gave Frosch, and subsequent Attorneys General, the ability to file lawsuit after lawsuit against whomever he wanted (mainly Trump) without oversight from the Governor as to the expenditures, as had been the past requirement. Hogan vetoed that and it was overridden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2024, 06:16 AM

124 posts, read 110,290 times
Quote:
Ficker plastered me with mail as well. It was sorta quaint, mispellings, bad photoshops of him next to Trump..
Hah yes, I got so much Ficker mail, email, and text messages. But I’m active in my local party group so I expect them each cycle. There has been local council and state delegates who use the same tactic and it’s off putting to me. I’m probably the minority but I prefer candidates who are their own man.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:55 PM

273 posts, read 514,677 times
I hope he does. All Tone ads on tv and he lost. ha ha

Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM

296 posts, read 152,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
You're not alone.

His trashy ads ended up making him annoying and me voting for Alsobrooks.

At the end, though, Trone needed a lot more voters from areas like Baltimore, Howard, AA, and Montgomery Co (Baltimore city and PG favored Alsobrooks), and ended up with around 50-50 (and losing) in all four. Alsobrooks' winning margin is way larger than expected anyway.

Post election: Trone got the more moderate vote out on Maryland's geographic fringes. Alsobrooks got the more progressive vote toward Maryland's core.

Conversely, the map looks very similar in the Hogan versus Ficker race if you look at percentages. Hogan took the more moderate Republican vote in the central counties while Ficker got higher percentages in (and even won several) counties in the more rural areas.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

296 posts, read 152,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hogan disappointed a lot of people who thought he'd push more conservative policies. What they forgot, or didn't take into account was that he faced a more or less hostile Legislature both terms and even more so during his second term after Busch and Miller died and there was a veto proof majority against him

Hell, they were passing stuff the last three years they knew he'd veto just so they could say they overrode it. They also gave Frosch, and subsequent Attorneys General, the ability to file lawsuit after lawsuit against whomever he wanted (mainly Trump) without oversight from the Governor as to the expenditures, as had been the past requirement. Hogan vetoed that and it was overridden.

Hogan lost me during the Covid era. In the end he was no different from the frail and hysteric cat-lady leftists who were doubling up on masks and scrubbing everything down every 30 seconds.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

45,578 posts, read 60,936,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Hogan lost me during the Covid era. In the end he was no different from the frail and hysteric cat-lady leftists who were doubling up on masks and scrubbing everything down every 30 seconds.
That's fine, so I'm assuming you're voting for Alsobrooks.

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

7,094 posts, read 11,390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Post election: Trone got the more moderate vote out on Maryland's geographic fringes. Alsobrooks got the more progressive vote toward Maryland's core.

Conversely, the map looks very similar in the Hogan versus Ficker race if you look at percentages. Hogan took the more moderate Republican vote in the central counties while Ficker got higher percentages in (and even won several) counties in the more rural areas.
Rural areas wanted Trone vs. Ficker so we ended up with Alsobrooks vs. Hogan. Welcome to MD politics where rural areas have literally no power to influence state wide races.

Old Today, 05:39 AM

1,222 posts, read 818,546 times
Quote:
Rural areas wanted Trone vs. Ficker so we ended up with Alsobrooks vs. Hogan. Welcome to MD politics where rural areas have literally no power to influence state wide races.
Rural area wants Trone but not the urbanized part?

Trone's problem is that he couldn't get anywhere the margin he needs in areas like MoCo (the far northern part is part of his district) or the likes of HoCo and AA. In all 3 places he lost by like 2-3 points. He didn't win but it was competitive.

A large part of Alsobrooks margin came from the likes of PG and Baltimore City anyway - PG alone accounts for 50k of the difference. No surprise, though - that's Alsobrooks home territory.

Old Today, 07:37 AM

7,094 posts, read 11,390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Rural area wants Trone but not the urbanized part?

Trone's problem is that he couldn't get anywhere the margin he needs in areas like MoCo (the far northern part is part of his district) or the likes of HoCo and AA. In all 3 places he lost by like 2-3 points. He didn't win but it was competitive.

A large part of Alsobrooks margin came from the likes of PG and Baltimore City anyway - PG alone accounts for 50k of the difference. No surprise, though - that's Alsobrooks home territory.
Rural Dems who voted in the primary did, check the map

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...senate-results

Allegany County was

Trone 2,493
Alsobrooks 424

or 2,069 difference

which is a ****stomping, but it made zero difference because a 3% loss in AA county is a 2,075 vote margin.

See? The rural areas have zero impact on the final results in statewide elections. We don't have enough rural counties like some other states where those insane % difference, but relatively small margins of victory, add up and put a candidate over the top.

Old Today, 02:13 PM

5,122 posts, read 6,135,383 times
Quote:
Rural Dems who voted in the primary did, check the map

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...senate-results

Allegany County was

Trone 2,493
Alsobrooks 424

or 2,069 difference

which is a ****stomping, but it made zero difference because a 3% loss in AA county is a 2,075 vote margin.

See? The rural areas have zero impact on the final results in statewide elections. We don't have enough rural counties like some other states where those insane % difference, but relatively small margins of victory, add up and put a candidate over the top.

But it may make a difference with a Republican that has shown he can get crossover voters and a Democrat who won't get much support from rural areas.

Plus I believe it could cause the 6th District to go Republican in the fall. Perrot has too much name recognition and his strong base in the western portion of the district will make him hard to defeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland