Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 PM

10 posts, read 19,067 times

Advertisements

I don't know about NC but I have lived in St. Louis where they call it "soda", in Chicago where they call it "pop" and, in South LA where they call it "soda pop". I have also visited the "dirty south" where people do say they are going to the store to get a "drink" or "drank", lol. Once when I was visiting family in Chicago, I asked for a soda at the refreshment stand of a bingo game hall and was told they did not have any baking soda, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM

202 posts, read 350,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Here in Alabama (and in Georgia, when I lived there), a generic term for soft drink is "coke." Years ago, you'd hear "co'cola" and "coke" almost equally, but I rarely hear "co'cola" anymore.

But my grandparents, who lived in Mitchell, Avery, or Yancey counties (NC) all their lives (as did their grandparents, and their grandparents) would call it a "dope." A second choice would be "a drank" - meaning a drink, but pronounced "drank."

When I looked totally confused by "dope," my granddaddy would say "co'cola," but what you'd get would be a Pepsi.

By "drank," there was no question that they did NOT mean an alcoholic drink. That was pronounced "shine," and they made it themselves, not that they'd come right out and tell you until they knew you well enough to offer you some.

Hearing "pop" is, to me, just like nails on a blackboard. Here in North Alabama, anybody who said "pop" was newly arrived from Michigan (auto plants) or Minnesota (3M), and they were quickly schooled on the correct way to ask for a co'cola.
Nails on a chalkboard, indeed.

Generally, I think most of the posters saying and hearing soda are from the metro areas. Most of the rural areas haven't changed or had much outside influence, so they continue to call it drink or coke. I'm a 10th generation North Carolinian. Growing up, I never heard anything outside of coke or drink to describe a soft drink and not much has changed today. I still hear co-cola occasionally, but it's almost always said by the old-timers. Anyway, I'm sure that growing up in a rural area, that still hasn't been overrun with transplants, has a lot to do with it.

Well, we did have one yankee move in several years ago. Seeing as he was new, a couple buddies offered to take him snipe hunting. He was excited about it, too.

Last edited by SonofDixie; 07-25-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

Hearing "pop" is, to me, just like nails on a blackboard.
'Cuz it's always said in one of those flattened vowel midwestern accents so it sounds like "peahp". Ugh.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 PM

353 posts, read 458,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Make no mistake about my comments... When I say "coke", I mean Coke. Not Pepsi, or RC or whatever...
Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you. I have heard from some people that the native vernacular for "Coke" means "soda". It varies wildly, of course.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
I just talked to a dude from Atlanta. He was unaware that people generically called soda "Coke" outside of Georgia. He always thought it was only a Georgia-thing.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Isn't "soda pop" sort of a pre-1965 thing? Sort of Leave it to Beaverism?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have lived in North Carolina most of my life. When I was young in the mountains, we always said "pop." Then I moved about 20 miles East of where I was born and the favorite term was "coke." And that was no matter what you were drinking. One might even say, "What kind of coke do you want?" The only time I ever heard a native say "soda" was when they had a tummy ache and put baking soda in water to drink for medicine. Drink is a proper term too. To name a specific kind of soft drink is usually what we do now most of the time.

My husband and I drink diet a lot of times and if we don't want diet we will say for instance, "I want a sugary Dr. Pepper." That is just in our family though.

And if you are eating a moon pie, it always goes with an RC Cola. Surely everybody in North Carolina knows that. LOL
Wow, it is interesting how native North Carolinians have such varying accounts of what the predominant term is, largely based on race/ethnicity, age, urban/suburban/rural, and even political orientation. We are indeed a diverse state.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,711 times
When I lived in Wisconsin (for almost my entire life) I called it "pop" and I've heard it said at restaurants before too

"What kind of pop would you like?"
"A Mountain Dew, please"

I came down to Asheville to visit for someone's wedding and I walked into a place and I asked "Do you serve pop here?".. I was met with a blank stare and had to explain . A year later I moved down here and I've been calling it soda ever since. However, I usually just go with a sweet tea when I'm out to eat (yum!).

Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
I can't remember the town but I was driving thru Alabama and ordered a coke, the waitress asked what kind of coke I wanted, I said "um...regular..not diet". She got kinda pissy and said "Do you want a coke-a-cola, a sprite..whadda ya want?"

I always thought she was a lil weird until years later I learned that some folks use the word coke instead of soda or pop.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM

I just heard some friends ask for pop at a restaurant and thought of this thread. Funny, how you start noticing stuff you thought people never said all of the sudden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina