Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Map: Coke vs. Soda vs. Pop – Do you agree? | MyFOX8.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Doesn't that depend on what you're having with it?
Burger and fries... Coke
Moonpie... Soda
Attached Thumbnails
Coke, Soda, or Pop: Most of NC, says Soda-12-28-08moonpierc.jpg  

Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
That map is completely wrong. Nobody in NC uses any of those words--here it's referred to simply as "a drink", or "a drank", depending on whether you're from the city or the country.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Y'know, growing up in SE NC in the 70s we just always called it "a drink" or by the actual name of what was being offered, "Co-Cola, Sprite, Mt Dew". I NEVER heard anyone refer to it as a "soda" or a "pop" or "soda pop". I knew those terms from reading books, but nobody ever used them in conversation. Probably some people did offer me a "coke" when they meant a variety of soft drinks, but I, personally, don't remember referring to the whole group of soft drinks that way.

Ha! Cross posted with you, Arby. I totally agree.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:14 AM

232 posts, read 474,842 times
yep we go to the store to get a drink

Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
That map is completely wrong. Nobody in NC uses any of those words--here it's referred to simply as "a drink", or "a drank", depending on whether you're from the city or the country.
Where do you live? The places in NC (Charlotte area, Raleigh and Chapel Hill, and Winston-Salem) that I have lived, refer to it as "soda" when they mean a carbonated beverage. A drink is not specific enough. However, recently, I have noticed more and more people saying "pop" in NC and VA.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I grew up in Fayetteville and have lived in Chapel Hill since 1982. My family and the spouse's family have been in NC since forever. In-laws live in Charlotte. IME, native NC-ers don't say soda or pop unless they're just trying to talk "transplant". I'm sure the transplants say soda and pop and I certainly know what they mean. I think my kids say "soda" some, but usually they ask for what they want by the name.

My SW Virginia aunt used to always ask me if I wanted a Pepsi, but she meant Pepsi. I preferred Coke like my uncle. My SE NC great aunt used to give me Mt Dew. That's kinda ironic since the SW Va one was in the mountains and the SE NC one was much closer to New Bern (birthplace of Pepsi).

Last edited by poppydog; 07-09-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I have heard only one family who used "coke" to mean a generic soft drink, and they were from Talladega, Alabama. I assumed it was a Deep South thing.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Funny Tarheelhombre--I've lived in the same places you mention after growing up in a small town in southeastern NC, and my experience has been completely opposite from yours. As poppydog says, no one in NC used the words "soda" or "pop" until recently. "Soft drinks" was sometimes used, but mostly it was just "a drink". We also referred to the vending machines as "drink machines".

Perhaps it's affected in part by NC's long prohibition against comsumption-on-the-premises alcohol sales. "Get a drink" could mean only soft drinks in most areas of the state, so you didn't need to be more specific other than deciding what flavor!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM

202 posts, read 350,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Funny Tarheelhombre--I've lived in the same places you mention after growing up in a small town in southeastern NC, and my experience has been completely opposite from yours. As poppydog says, no one in NC used the words "soda" or "pop" until recently. "Soft drinks" was sometimes used, but mostly it was just "a drink". We also referred to the vending machines as "drink machines".

Perhaps it's affected in part by NC's long prohibition against comsumption-on-the-premises alcohol sales. "Get a drink" could mean only soft drinks in most areas of the state, so you didn't need to be more specific other than deciding what flavor!
Eastern NC born and bred and I agree. I've never heard a native say "soda" or "pop." That's yankee talk. I, and just about everyone I grew up with, always called it a drink. I knew a few who would say Coke or Co-Cola. I've always referred to vending machines as drink machines too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina