Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 AM

230 posts, read 343,102 times

Advertisements

You could live in a smaller town or suburb outside of one of the big cities and it might be 20% black and there are alot of interracial families throughout the state. In addition to that, you will find magnet and charter schools that exist specifically to improve the socioeconomic status of the communities they serve which often have a high percentage of minorities. These are not the characteristics of a state that wouldn't welcome you for racial reasons. North Carolina might be in the south, but it isn't Mississippi. It's a civil, cultured state with alot of transplants and internationally minded ppl.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 09-10-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I just want to say I'm considering moving to North Carolina and this thread is exactly what I'm wondering as well, whether it's acceptable and inclusive of black people. The first reply in this thread is dismissive and ignorant to the point of being offensive. Some people just don't understand.

Thanks for the information about African Americans having more political representation in Charlotte. One of the cities im considering is Charlotte. I'll be following the thread closely.
That's exactly what I thought. I don't think anyone really understands unless they have to worry about it. If I'm asking a question regarding race CLEARLY, it's an issue.

Old 09-10-2020, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
OP where exactly are you looking in NC? That would be helpful to know.
Good afternoon, I was looking in the Jacksonville area.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:08 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Where are you living now? Because if you're living in a big city or not from the South, Jacksonville will likely be somewhat of a culture shock for you.

I'll be honest, if I were in your position, Jacksonville wouldn't interest me at all. And frankly it doesn't interest me at all anyways. If you're in the military and are stationed there that's one thing, but if not there's really not much of an incentive to just pack up from elsewhere and move there. The job scene isn't great, the schools are not great, and the dating scene is next to nothing. I can't tell you about the racial relations there, because I do not know. I don't think you would have much of a problem, but I also think if you really want to move to NC, you'd be happier in a larger city like Charlotte or Raleigh or Durham, or even the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem), your child would probably be happier too.

This is up to you to ultimately decide, but I would strongly, strongly suggest going for a visit first. If it's not your cup of tea, don't feel bad. It's not a town that is for everyone regardless of race.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Where are you living now? Because if you're living in a big city or not from the South, Jacksonville will likely be somewhat of a culture shock for you.

I'll be honest, if I were in your position, Jacksonville wouldn't interest me at all. And frankly it doesn't interest me at all anyways. If you're in the military and are stationed there that's one thing, but if not there's really not much of an incentive to just pack up from elsewhere and move there. The job scene isn't great, the schools are not great, and the dating scene is next to nothing. I can't tell you about the racial relations there, because I do not know. I don't think you would have much of a problem, but I also think if you really want to move to NC, you'd be happier in a larger city like Charlotte or Raleigh or Durham, or even the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem), your child would probably be happier too.

This is up to you to ultimately decide, but I would strongly, strongly suggest going for a visit first. If it's not your cup of tea, don't feel bad. It's not a town that is for everyone regardless of race.
Yeah, Jacksonville wouldn’t even make my top 10 list of cities to choose from. You’re better off looking at New Bern or Wilmington (and there’s not a ton if stuff in New Bern, either).

Old 09-10-2020, 05:55 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This post from a thread in the City vs City forum should help give you some ideas: https://www.city-data.com/forum/59128327-post591.html

The information is based off of 2018 ACS 5 year census information from this source: https://censusreporter.org/

You can also look at information based upon address, then at different levels down to the census block group.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-10-2020 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-12-2020, 11:18 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelleleah View Post
What makes you interested in the Jacksonville area? Honestly you'll probably be bored out of your mind there unless you're looking for a quiet, retirement lifestyle. On that side of the state I'd recommend Greenville for black people.

Overall I'd say the Charlotte area, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem as the best areas. Or a suburb just outside of those cities if you don't want to live within a larger city.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Jacksonville is a Military city and everything is geared along those demographics. Maybe you are military? If so, you're probably accustomed to that environment, but if not, THAT would be a bigger culture shock than race (military towns are actually pretty racially mixed, I think--but if you aren't military, it's a culture shock).

Quote:
Yeah, Jacksonville wouldn’t even make my top 10 list of cities to choose from. You’re better off looking at New Bern or Wilmington (and there’s not a ton if stuff in New Bern, either).
Putting it more bluntly, Jacksonville is frequently referred to as "The A##hole of North Carolina".

The area outside Jacksonville is pretty rural and very "Red" politically. Or there are the beach resort areas. You might look into Wilmington, which is not far from Jacksonville but much more "urban" culturally (though that's still a VERY relative term).

Last edited by Francois; 09-17-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-18-2020, 08:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Not so fast. While I subscribe to the theory that a Black person in North Carolina would be FINE with 99% of the people you’d meet (and the 1% would not be worth worrying about) the areas around our big military bases are exceedingly diverse. Jacksonville, Havelock, Fayetteville have large minority populations from the military. In addition, the culture is much more open to new people, since they were all new themselves when they PCS’d in. I taught school in Havelock and always had a lot of minority kids in my math classes. Utterly and absolutely transparent.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:38 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Alright, so I know this sounds kind of weird. But I'm relocating and was just wondering if I would be like...okay?

Again, I know. But I have a son and I'm a single black woman and just don't want to move anywhere I'm not wanted. I read that it's pretty diverse but I've also read that it absolutely not. And was just confused and wanted clarification.

Anyways, any feedback is appreciates. Or, anything else that would help in my decision.
I think it's important to share what info provided you with conflicting information. When I google "is NC diverse" I get a couple of good hits:

1. https://www.homesnacks.net/most-dive...rolina-128933/

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Now, it may or may not be important to you whether it's a % of black people, or just racial diversity, or you want the highest % of blacks in the most populous towns/cities.

I also googled "Raleigh demographics" and it would appear you can use this sit for any city

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...-nc-population

It's comprehensive with lots of data/charts. Maybe that helps narrow it down. For example, there's a chart for "HS Graduation and college degrees by race" if that's important to you. For Raleigh as an example, 30% of Blacks have a college degree. One site tells me the average in the US is 16%.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to research using those sites (or others) and then come back and say "Between A, B, C - which community is more welcoming to black professionals with college degrees" or whatever criteria is important to you.

Last edited by Yac; 09-22-2020 at 12:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina