Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 01:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Is it Lassiter Mill that crosses over the Beltline behind North Hills? I knew several that lived near there who all went to Broughton, but that was in the late 80s.
I thought that there was window of time where they went to Broughton, I could easily be wrong though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 02:43 PM

48 posts, read 39,239 times
Look no further than Myers Park in Charlotte. I had a lot of friends who lived there in high school and I had been in some of the most beautiful and grand homes there. My family were not from there but transplanted there with my dad's job coming from NY. We were Yankee outsiders but I got a chance at the time to peek into this very traditional and well off Southern subculture. Little did parents realize their kids were throwing big parties in these grand homes when parents left for the weekend. We were always respectful and careful, however, and helped the 'host' clean up before parents arrived back home. The trees, the lovely parks, the grand homes all equate to a very special place with a rich Southern history. Many of my friends' parents/dads at the time seemed to be in banking or finance who lived there. The families went back generations in NC and/or in Charlotte and I met all of these people at one of the private Charlotte schools I attended at that time. It was a unique subculture and many of the specific nuances, traditions, vibes of that place are very memorable to me. It was different from where I came from in ways but I am glad I got a peek into this Southern subculture.

Last edited by Mrs. Golightly; 04-03-2021 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 06:49 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I thought that there was window of time where they went to Broughton, I could easily be wrong though.
Sanderson was built in the late 60's. While it was under construction, the students assigned to Sanderson attended classes on the Broughton campus during the school year of 1968-69. That was my junior year. They put a bunch of trailers on the Broughton campus, divided up the auditorium and gym into temporary classrooms, and staggered lunch periods. It was quite challenging to operate two separate student bodies on the same grounds.

One of the main things I remember was that I made new friends in 7th grade at Daniels (when there were jr high schools, not middle schools) and then we were split the next year when Carroll Jr High was built. We all got back together in 10th grade at Broughton, but were split again for Sanderson.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,956 times
I grew up in Buena Vista and it’s well known in Winston that if your area code is 27104 you’re good to go. Kids go to Reynolds if public but also Forsyth Country Day, Summit, Salem Academy, G’boro Day, or off to Woodberry Forest or one of the NE boarding schools like Groton or Exeter. Very junior league, country club life.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:28 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Irving Park, Fisher Park in Greensboro.

Old 04-18-2021, 06:30 PM

605 posts, read 804,400 times
Alamance Acres in Burlington.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:55 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
It also depends on what one means by "North Hills" homes, since if you go just across the Beltline down Lassiter Mill--an easy walk to North Hills--those neighborhoods have always been Broughton, I think--or they were in the early 80s. I'm talking about "Spring Valley", I believe (Marlowe Rd) which incidentally is also one of the "old money" neighborhoods of Raleigh.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:02 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
The interesting thing about Durham is that it doesn't seem to have as many old money neighborhoods apart from Forest Hills. And Durham was bigger than Raleigh until the 1950s.
in Durham, they moved to Hope Valley, leaving behind Forest Hills. For the most part. I'm not sure who the demographic was for Trinity Park beyond peeps affiliated with Duke.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:28 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,487,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in Durham, they moved to Hope Valley, leaving behind Forest Hills. For the most part. I'm not sure who the demographic was for Trinity Park beyond peeps affiliated with Duke.
There's actually a house on the market (under contract) in Trinity Heights right now that is full-on deed-restricted to Duke employees. Granted it's an infill house built in 2001 so not an "old money" house per se...but I'd be curious if some of the other houses around there from when the majority of the Trinity Park/Trinity Heights neighborhood was built up in the 1920s/30s have similar deed restrictions.

Hope Valley and Forest Hills are definitely the most "old money" Durham neighborhoods though. Granted when Hope Valley was originally platted out it was outside the city of Durham and meant to be "country estates".

Old 04-27-2021, 02:53 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
Quote:
there was a window when they tried to redistrict Drewry Hills - just ITB off Lassiter Mills - to Sanderson. The howls were heard for miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina