Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 08:41 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
The iconic round Holiday Inn hotel in Downtown Raleigh isn't long for this world. Tidal Real Estate from New York has purchased the property for $20 million. They are also planning a 20 story tower 3 blocks away as well. They're very active in Nashville and looks like Raleigh will be their next new market. Pretty exciting.

There's way too many 20 story projects in Raleigh I wish some would mix it up a bit and go a little higher like in the 25 floor range.
Has it been announced that they plan to demolish the hotel and what they intend to build? I hope not because this is only one of a few remaining structures like this in the country. Would hate to see it go and it's also dead center of the view from my condo.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 12-16-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 06:39 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
I know I know everyone was happy for this . It meant some sort of recognition among other city lovers and more people and more urban stuff . But yeah I was never a big fan as a taxpayer of this . Lol.

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news...worst-of-2021/

Old 12-30-2021, 06:42 AM

Apple could have funded our entire state budget and still had 40 billion left over. Yet WE PAID THEM ! My broke impoverished self is paying them. Beyond infuriating . Hope it’s worth a couple extra skyscrapers and recognition . Sure isn’t to me .

Old 12-30-2021, 12:24 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Thank God that round thing is being demolished.

It’s been renovated so many times it’s the epitaxy of lipstick on a pig.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Apple could have funded our entire state budget and still had 40 billion left over. Yet WE PAID THEM ! My broke impoverished self is paying them. Beyond infuriating . Hope it’s worth a couple extra skyscrapers and recognition . Sure isn’t to me .
Having Apple in the Triangle will pour billions of dollars into the local economy. Employees’ paychecks will be spent locally and the brand recognition will raise the value of everyone’s assets living in the region if not all of central North Carolina.

NC’a operating budget is a mere $27 billion for one or 2 years.

New York State with twice the population is a staggering $170 billion for the same period and NYC’s 5 boroughs have a roughly $80 billion budget.

New York can afford this because the whole world comes and spends money there and then leaves. The money stays, hence the reason for incentives.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
The iconic round Holiday Inn hotel in Downtown Raleigh isn't long for this world. Tidal Real Estate from New York has purchased the property for $20 million. They are also planning a 20 story tower 3 blocks away as well. They're very active in Nashville and looks like Raleigh will be their next new market. Pretty exciting.

There's way too many 20 story projects in Raleigh I wish some would mix it up a bit and go a little higher like in the 25 floor range.
I love how everything is continuing the low ~20 floor height. It will distinguish Raleigh and be recognizable sorta like Richmond’s skyline.

Austin used to be like that before the 50 story towers rose a few years ago.

It’s appropriate in reinforcing the smaller scale local feel that Raleigh emanates.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:55 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I love how everything is continuing the low ~20 floor height. It will distinguish Raleigh and be recognizable sorta like Richmond’s skyline.

Austin used to be like that before the 50 story towers rose a few years ago.

It’s appropriate in reinforcing the smaller scale local feel that Raleigh emanates.
I disagree. Taller buildings make more distinguishable skylines.

But I mean. When you have a solid street level (like Warehouse District) and you sprinkle in those Dillon’s, RUS’s and then more buildings like for example this (from Bethesda, MD) https://images.app.goo.gl/jz6Q4MtnRGkdmbLH6 - it becomes a better experience than tall pretty towers.

I mean. I wouldn’t call it a “smaller scale” or “local” feel. Cities feel bigger when there’s more human scale development IMO.

Towers are going to be as large as demand allows which is sorta out of Raleigh’s control to a large extent. Design, preservation etc is the things that can be controlled.

Old 12-30-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I disagree. Taller buildings make more distinguishable skylines.

But I mean. When you have a solid street level (like Warehouse District) and you sprinkle in those Dillon’s, RUS’s and then more buildings like for example this (from Bethesda, MD) https://images.app.goo.gl/jz6Q4MtnRGkdmbLH6 - it becomes a better experience than tall pretty towers.

I mean. I wouldn’t call it a “smaller scale” or “local” feel. Cities feel bigger when there’s more human scale development IMO.

Towers are going to be as large as demand allows which is sorta out of Raleigh’s control to a large extent. Design, preservation etc is the things that can be controlled.
I agree with smaller human scale development making a city seem more lively . I personally am a fan of cities like Paris and DC which are mostly mid rise buildings . Feels more human .

Old 12-30-2021, 02:10 PM

926 posts, read 827,510 times
Was in Fayetteville for a few days, saw some stuff.

USPS Distribution Center built in South Fayetteville (Hope Mills) - will be one of four distribution centers in Liberty Point - an industrial site that will have more than 1,000,000 square feet of space near Corporation Drive.

SkyRem, the Philadelphia and NY based real estate development company, made a very promising investment in Fayetteville by purchasing the entire Cedar Creek Road Industrial Park project from Cumberland County for just $4,000,000, with the promise of developing "multiple state-of-the-art, best-in-class manufacturing, distribution and logistics facilities.”
https://bizfayetteville.com/commerci...ess-center/276

Downtown Fayetteville lot converted into 28 single-Family homes starting in the $300s.

New residential neighborhood off Cliffdale Road in West Fayetteville near Raeford Rd.
New residential neighborhood off I-95 Business in the Hope Mills area
New residential neighborhood near Dundle Road starting in the 600s.
For some reason, there's a really ugly Dollar General under construction outside of Anderson Creek.
New Chick-Fil-A in West Fayetteville off I-295 near Aldi and Gillis Hill Road
New small strip malls located everywhere, but notably one in the revitalizing Yadkin Rd. area (presumably the Amazon investment will really boost the area as well)
Fayetteville gains new soccer team and indoor Football team, both at Crown (which is about to be replaced)
Co-Working space "The Hub" opens in Downtown Fayetteville
Tractor Supply Co. Opens in Spring Lake
Cape Fear Valley's 5-story Neuroscience Institute in South Fayetteville is getting closer to completion
Longhorn Steakhouse opens near Cross Creek Mall
New Fit 4 Life in Hope Mills
New neighborhood under construction off Hoke Loop Road in West Fayetteville
New apartment complex off Hoke Loop Road in West Fayetteville
New neighborhood off Camden Road starting in the 400s
Expansion of Roslin Farm starting in the mid 300s
Chicken Foot Rd widened in Hope Mills
Massive Starbucks, and what I assume to be a bunch of new Hotels and restaurants along Cedar Creek Road / I-95
New neighborhood in Eastover starting in the mid 400s
Surprisingly, new modern townhomes off Bunce Rd - High crime area but it's nice to see the are being revitalized
Massive land clearing along Raeford Rd around Bingham, my guess is another neighborhood or offices.
New apartment complex off Cliffdale Road near the existing Waters Edge neighborhood.
The Coffee Scene opens location in the Prince Charles High-rise Apartment building in Downtown Fayetteville
New Rooms To Go built at Cross Creek Mall

New Chipotle and Panda Express of Raeford Road near Highland Country Club and Robeson St. (Across from Publix)

New HWY 55 and Waffle House off Lakewood Dr in Southwest Fayetteville near Harris Teeter

Amazon creating nearly 1000 jobs between two facilities, a delivery station in East Fayetteville, and a distribution center right off I-295. I did not go near the Cedar Creek Road site, but the distribution center located off Santa Fe Drive in the [] business park is making a lot of progress.

New 6-story hotel being constructed in Central Fayetteville off McPherson Church Rd.

I'm sure there's a ton of other projects ongoing, but those are just things I noticed or at the very least remember. I didn't even get the chance to go through North Fayetteville, as I am sure there's a ton of stuff going on around Ramsey St.

The Hyatt Hotel and High-Rise Office that is supposed to eventually become Fayetteville's tallest building in Downtown Fayetteville didn't seem to have any ongoing construction while I was around there. I looked it up online, apparently construction will resume in 2022.

Also, I-295 progress seems to of slowed down immensely, the next phase probably won't open until Fall 2022, according to the NCDOT website.
Traffic on I-295 has really picked up, I am surprised some portions bypassing West Fayetteville are only 4-Lanes, despite the congestion seen so far with just 3 exists opened so far west of the All American Freeway.

Last edited by Archer705; 12-30-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-30-2021, 02:42 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,496,311 times
Has anyone confirmed that the Holiday Inn is actually being demolished? I haven't seen any reports of that. Not gonna lie, I kinda hate the thing, I think it's absolutely hideous and super outdated. Replacing it with a newer building would make this fella a happy camper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina