Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 8,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

To answer generally some of the questions you posed for specificity:

1. They are planning on flying to the destination. Thus they would likely have to rent a car if they are going to drive around, or go to a destination that is walkable/has some sort of transit options.

2. In total they'll be going with 7 people: him, his wife, 3 kids, and 2 parents.

3. My friend is interested in sports and eating at nice restaurants. His dad likes history. The kids like typical kid activities. His wife is into seeing different things and having unique experiences, she used to travel in the middle east by herself a lot long before they got married.

Any other clarifying questions let me know as off the top of my head that's all I could think of to add more context.

Thanks again for the great responses!
I'm NC born and raised. I love NC. But I think Charleston has something for all of you. It's usually pleasant in November/December. The sun is strong, the city is lovely and the food cannot be beat. I lived there for 20 years and I still miss it. The beaches are relatively quiet that time of year. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 12:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Quote:

1. They are planning on flying to the destination. Thus they would likely have to rent a car if they are going to drive around, or go to a destination that is walkable/has some sort of transit options.

2. In total they'll be going with 7 people: him, his wife, 3 kids, and 2 parents.

3. My friend is interested in sports and eating at nice restaurants. His dad likes history. The kids like typical kid activities. His wife is into seeing different things and having unique experiences, she used to travel in the middle east by herself a lot long before they got married.

Any other clarifying questions let me know as off the top of my head that's all I could think of to add more context.

Charleston sounds like a winner for restaurants and history and is very walkable.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:48 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
I agree with the previous two posters that Charleston would have something for everybody and you can walk to so many attractions so you don't need to load 7 people up in a car to see something each day. 3 - 4 days is also just the right amount of time to visit the Charleston area. You could probably get away with just one day renting a car to go to the beach and some outlying areas for a day trip.

I love the NC mountains, but I'd recommend a visit during fall, spring, or summer. That area will have already lost all its leaves by late November and be chilly. Seasonal attractions will be closed.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:05 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:

Ok then. Savannah would be a good choice. The airport is stellar. You are 2 hours from Charleston and 2 hours from Jacksonville, FL, and just across the bridge from Hilton Head. Unless the friend craves mountain views, you will never run out of restaurants or things to do. Everyone talks about Charleston restaurants, but there is no shortage of those in Savannah either.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Asheville would be a good choice because of various places: art museum, Biltmore estate, interesting shops, arboretum.
Also the Blue Ridge Parkway comes right to town and provides a nice scenic drive, many places to park and enjoy nature.
We love Blowing Rock/Boone to the north of Asheville but lots less to do there in November.

Savannah would probably be the best choice because we've been there multiple times and still enjoy visiting.
We were there in June and took the bus-trolly ride around town for the first time ever and it was really fantastic, great driver who drove all over downtown and related history in a humorous, interesting way. Spouse tipped him $$ he was so good.
Great restaurants, great hotels. Thumbs up for Savannah.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Thanks everyone for the great responses!

I passed along Asheville and Wilmington to my friend as options for NC, although I think the idea for him to go to Charleston or Savannah is what we're going to stick with.

But this was good info for me personally to check out some places in NC sometime in the near future!

Old 09-26-2023, 09:44 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:

It made me think, is there a place in NC that could be comparable to Charleston or Savannah that would be good for a few days to do touristy things?

Lake Lure NC is very woodsy and in the mountains with lots of places to rent condos for large families, and there is Chimney Rock and Asheville right there. It's a great place for kids with trails, boat rentals, the lake's beaches etc.

I don't consider Savannah necessarily a good place for children because of all the partying that goes on there, but would be fine for adults because of all the history. Charleston is historic and beautiful but not known for being particularly attractive to kids, depending on the ages of the kids of course.

Neither city is like Gatlinburg TN which has tons to do for kids, but I would never recommend there ever again, because of how overcrowded it is now. You will wait in traffic, wait for parking, wait in line for food, wait to leave, wait to get back to your hotel. It's just not fun anymore.

If kids are going, it's best to make sure there is plenty for them to enjoy or you aren't going to have any fun, either.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:12 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
If you're looking for something other than Charleston or Savannah, I would check out the Outer Banks in NC. I've only taken the ferry to Ocracoke Island once, but I recall that it was very beautiful there. While not as historic, there is still a lot of history and other things to do.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:03 PM

377 posts, read 203,632 times
Quote:
A friend of mine, who lives in the northeast, asked me for a recommendation for a place to spend a few days with his wife, kids, and 80 year old parents. Since it's only basically an extended weekend trip, that pretty much eliminated anything on the west coast or rocky mountain areas. Also, he wanted to go somewhere that is very different from NYC, so that eliminated places like Chicago, and other big cities in the midwest/southeast.

Two places that came to mind right away were Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. I've been to both and they both have some touristy things to do that aren't too cheesy and have good history and solid restaurants (particularly Charleston with the restaurants).

He asked me if NC had any places to recommend. I mentioned possibly Asheville, but I haven't been yet, so I am not familiar with it enough to recommend things to do and couldn't say for sure if it would be a good place to bring the family.

I've been to Charlotte and thought it was cool, but even though it is very different from NYC, it still is too much of a typical big city for me to think that it would fit what my friend was looking for. And I've passed through some of the research triangle cities, but not enough to get a feel for them. I've heard good things however, but couldn't say if they'd fit what he was looking for either.

It made me think, is there a place in NC that could be comparable to Charleston or Savannah that would be good for a few days to do touristy things?
No. Not really. Charleston and Savannah are truly unique.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:46 AM

447 posts, read 372,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If they are driving, I assume he wants NC, because SC and GA are too far.
Charleston, Wilmington, and Asheville have been mentioned and are all good places for walking once they decide which option. I'm not assuming anything, just giving possible destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina