Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 01:03 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

One way to not have to do all these contortions to avoid a camera ticket is stop running red lights and slow the **** down where they are. As it is you don't get snapped until you're 11 over in speed camera zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 02:16 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Supposedly, the reason why PA has only rear license plates was to preserve steel during WW2 and also during the Korean War. But that reason is no longer valid since there is no shortage of steel.

Having both front and rear license plates would make it easier for cops to identify scofflaws who throw litter on the highways and speeders going in the opposite direction from the cop car. It would also aid in the automatic enforcement of the law w.r.t. cars not stopping at stop lights and stop signs, a major problem in cities.

It's also way past the time for a new license plate design. The current license plate design dates from 1973.

I agree. It's time for front plates. Helps with Hit and runs too.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:09 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I agree. It's time for front plates. Helps with Hit and runs too.
Meanwhile other states that have them now are getting rid of them.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:38 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Meanwhile other states that have them now are getting rid of them.
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/08/lawm...s-on-cars.html

Kinda not surprised about Ohio, but NEW JERSEY!!??

Old 03-14-2023, 03:44 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I personally think there should be plates on the front and back.

Old 09-27-2023, 08:02 PM

85 posts, read 83,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
we have auto plate readers in cop cars - state and local - around cities, bridges, exits and entrances...we have rfid readers EVERYWHERE and cell phone 'pingers' that attempt to tie the driver to the plate plus most cars now live stream telemetry thru the fuba style rooftop antenna

The plate is now blase PLUS, many drivers - especially around pitt - soak the plate with nail polish remover so it peels so the cameras in the cities and at the PATP cannot read it.
I don't know what the PATP is and I assume the cameras you are referring to our the speed ones at certain lights? Just asking because from my not so pleasant experience with cops, if they notice something not right about you or your car (such as their plate reader not picking up anything for example) they are 1000 times more likely to single you out and pull you over for something opposed to if you had a plate that read right though on the dot. It's the same mentality they used to have about radar detectors and signal scramblers - they know something is up and they'll pull you over anyway just because they can. They might not cite you for anything or maybe they will but will still pull you over to spite you and waste your time. Do whatever you want but if I'm understand what you said about the plate readers right I think I'll just leave mine as it is. I'm not concerned with it regarding traffic lights because I don't fly around them or intersections like an ass and they still can read your plate even if it can't scan by manually entering the info if they're just cruising. Cops will do whatever they want at the end of the day but doing that is another invitation to pull you over.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I personally think there should be plates on the front and back.
With the amount of cameras everywhere, I don't think plates mean crap. They also interfere with the aerodynamics of the cars. Of course most people drive giant pickups and SUV's, so I guess most don't think about such things, but there are some of us that consider efficiency and ease at how a vehicle moves through the air. Sure saves a lot of fuel.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:18 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Front plates are retarded and overkill, they serve no useful purpose for the costs and logistical issues of trying to mount them to the front of a car.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:57 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I didn't know this was on anyone's radar but I would be really mad of a got a car that wasn't meant for a front license plate, and then was required to add one. If you purchased an Alfa Romeo, you probably care about style more than anything else, and wow does it look awful with a front plate. I've seen them with that ugly yellow NJ plate, completely ruins it.

Too bad. Car makers should build cars to have a space for a front plate where it's required. All European countries require a front license plate, as does the UK, so it's not a big deal for carmakers to comply.

I am completely ignoring the fact that anyone who buys an Alfa Romeo is certifiably insane.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:01 PM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellic View Post
I don't know what the PATP is and I assume the cameras you are referring to our the speed ones at certain lights? Just asking because from my not so pleasant experience with cops, if they notice something not right about you or your car (such as their plate reader not picking up anything for example) they are 1000 times more likely to single you out and pull you over for something opposed to if you had a plate that read right though on the dot. It's the same mentality they used to have about radar detectors and signal scramblers - they know something is up and they'll pull you over anyway just because they can. They might not cite you for anything or maybe they will but will still pull you over to spite you and waste your time. Do whatever you want but if I'm understand what you said about the plate readers right I think I'll just leave mine as it is. I'm not concerned with it regarding traffic lights because I don't fly around them or intersections like an ass and they still can read your plate even if it can't scan by manually entering the info if they're just cruising. Cops will do whatever they want at the end of the day but doing that is another invitation to pull you over.

PATP = pa turn pike.

they got rid of all the toll plaza people, and most of the RFID readers and they just default to the cameras. the same camera software that can tell a cell phone camera where the face is, can be used to focus on the plate. pitt cops use in car cameras they have zero control over, that does zero but scan plates all day and run them...if a scofflaw comes up, the gizmo alerts the cop to pull them over and why. its sorta like an enhanced version of 'schmods'.

my front plate on my square sub is a 1963 'suburban' plate. back from when the plate would point out the type/make of vehicle. It took a couple calls to the dmv to verify it was not in the system and hence dead, so I can use it as vanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania