Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 07:14 AM

1,386 posts, read 910,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
You are preaching to the choir. It would make sense to move forward. If WVA passes a bill before PA does, that would be an embarrassment. However, that would entail our politicians being above shame.
What is the process to get a ballot referendum for a constitutional amendment like they did in OH? That's probably the best way to go if possible rather than counting on the dysfunctional legislature to act on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 08:07 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
What is the process to get a ballot referendum for a constitutional amendment like they did in OH? That's probably the best way to go if possible rather than counting on the dysfunctional legislature to act on it.
https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2023/...g-issue-2-law/

I found this link which covers a group called "Coalition to regulate marijuana like alcohol." I am guessing that it's a lobbying arm from the marijuana industry that formed a petition to get it on the ballot. Say it does get on the ballot in PA. Would they have state stores like we have already in PA for liquor? Many questions would have to be resolved in how to cut the revenue pie. Which goes to the above point how this will drag out for quite some time while PA loses tax revenue to OH, NY, NJ, MD and DE.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:33 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania has neither citizen initiative nor referendum.

The process of amending the state constitution does involve the voters: after two successive General Assemblies have voted to approve an amendment, the measure is then put before the voters for their approval.

But in this case, I don't believe a constitutional amendment would be required to legalize recreational cannabis use. You'll just have to lean on your legislators to get moving on it.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:36 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2023/...g-issue-2-law/

I found this link which covers a group called "Coalition to regulate marijuana like alcohol." I am guessing that it's a lobbying arm from the marijuana industry that formed a petition to get it on the ballot. Say it does get on the ballot in PA. Would they have state stores like we have already in PA for liquor? Many questions would have to be resolved in how to cut the revenue pie. Which goes to the above point how this will drag out for quite some time while PA loses tax revenue to OH, NY, NJ, MD and DE.
Something tells me that any recreational marijuana law in this state would set up a state-run control board that oversaw the sale of weed. Cannabis Control Board, anyone?

"So remember, for all the good times in your life, remember to bring Fine Wine, Good Spirits and Killer Weed."

Old 11-09-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Pennsylvania has neither citizen initiative nor referendum.

The process of amending the state constitution does involve the voters: after two successive General Assemblies have voted to approve an amendment, the measure is then put before the voters for their approval.

But in this case, I don't believe a constitutional amendment would be required to legalize recreational cannabis use. You'll just have to lean on your legislators to get moving on it.
Right. I have no confidence in the PA legislature to do anything right. LOL.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:48 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Pennsylvania is in dire need of some form of citizen-initiated referendum and ranked choice voting. A controversial opinion, I know.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Pennsylvania is in dire need of some form of citizen-initiated referendum and ranked choice voting. A controversial opinion, I know.
The whole entire country needs ranked choice voting. That's not controversial. The fact that no one other than Trump, Hillary, and Biden have had any chance to be President for the last 8 years should wake everyone up to that.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:11 AM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
I came from a state with citizen initiatives and, wow, can it get messy and deceptive and makes voting a challenge because of the way the various interests title, frame, and sell their proposed laws or changes to laws. Now, some years away from all that, I do really miss it. When you have a gerrymandered state legislature it is really the only way to put some leverage directly back in the hands of voters. If you have a gerrymandered legislature that is always going to lean right in a state where, statewide, there's a slight lean left, the legislature does not accurately reflect the will of the voters and has no interest in doing so. But of course, the right isn't all in on this democratic experiment anyway.

[cue someone chiming in with the "representative republic" whitewash]

Old 11-10-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
The whole entire country needs ranked choice voting. That's not controversial. The fact that no one other than Trump, Hillary, and Biden have had any chance to be President for the last 8 years should wake everyone up to that.
I completely agree, however many more people oppose ranked choice voting than you'd imagine. Some chalk up their opposition to "RCV is too hard for people to understand," others think it's another ploy to "steal elections," and some will admit themselves they are just afraid of change. Regardless, I think younger people tend to have a resoundingly favorable view of RCV, so perhaps I'll see change in my lifetime.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I came from a state with citizen initiatives and, wow, can it get messy and deceptive and makes voting a challenge because of the way the various interests title, frame, and sell their proposed laws or changes to laws. Now, some years away from all that, I do really miss it. When you have a gerrymandered state legislature it is really the only way to put some leverage directly back in the hands of voters. If you have a gerrymandered legislature that is always going to lean right in a state where, statewide, there's a slight lean left, the legislature does not accurately reflect the will of the voters and has no interest in doing so. But of course, the right isn't all in on this democratic experiment anyway.

[cue someone chiming in with the "representative republic" whitewash]
Democracy will always be messy, but I will always favor movements that make our processes more democratic. I will always favor putting power in the hands of the people, as opposed to power in the hands of the few, of the 'elite.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania