Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 01:51 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ridge was awarded the Bronze Star with V device during his Viet Nam tour. Yeah, I looked.
Yeah I thought people knew that.

The boondoggle ferry plan was obviously a favor to Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 02:43 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania isn't a border state in any way. Everyone knows it's either the heart of the Midwest or Deep South.
Maybe the rest of Pennsylvania is in one of those regions, but the eastern part of the state* is part of the Northeast for sure, and the Southeast is right on the heavily urbanized Northeast Corridor.

*Roughly speaking, anything east of a north-south line drawn through Reading, though I think some might also include Dauphin (Harrisburg), Lebanon ahd Lancaster counties in this region. The latter two, however, also comprise Amish country, which is a world apart from the rest of the state.

Oh, and: "the heart of the Midwest"? Yes, I agree that Western Pennsylvania is definitely Midwestern, but you still have some 800 miles to go before you reach the Heart of America, where I grew up. And there are two Midwests, split by the Mississippi — but Chicago is the capital of both.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:05 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe the rest of Pennsylvania is in one of those regions, but the eastern part of the state* is part of the Northeast for sure, and the Southeast is right on the heavily urbanized Northeast Corridor.

*Roughly speaking, anything east of a north-south line drawn through Reading, though I think some might also include Dauphin (Harrisburg), Lebanon ahd Lancaster counties in this region. The latter two, however, also comprise Amish country, which is a world apart from the rest of the state.

Oh, and: "the heart of the Midwest"? Yes, I agree that Western Pennsylvania is definitely Midwestern, but you still have some 800 miles to go before you reach the Heart of America, where I grew up. And there are two Midwests, split by the Mississippi — but Chicago is the capital of both.
Philadelphia? That's Deep South.

Western Pennsylvania is not Midwestern. If anything it's Appalachian.

What's happening is laying out exactly as I said here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66572194-post3.html

Old 04-01-2024, 04:10 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
To answer whether anyone "considers" Pennsylvania a Border State in the usual sense, the answer is generally going to be No.
Perhaps because a frighteningly large group of Pennsylvania residents don't know that Pennsylvania is a Great Lakes state. Just because you can't walk across the border doesn't mean it's not a border state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I agree that Western Pennsylvania is definitely Midwestern, but you still have some 800 miles to go before you reach the Heart of America, where I grew up. And there are two Midwests, split by the Mississippi — but Chicago is the capital of both.
Ha! A friend from Iowa doesn't consider Ohio or even Michigan to be Midwest, let alone Pennsylvania. LOL
Quote:
Erie is midwest Buffalonian.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia? That's Deep South.

What's happening is laying out exactly as I said here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/66572194-post3.html
Um, no. Hard no. At the outside, it's borderland, like Maryland next door* and Baltimore down the NEC.

The accents, attitudes and history of this city all point away from the South, even if Penn's Medical Department (now School of Medicine) trained the South's doctors before the Civil War. And even though there were Southern sympathizers who fought abolitionists here in that same era, they didn't even capture as much sympathy here as their Baltimore counterparts did.** Sheesh, this city even sent the first Black Federal troops to fight for the Union; they trained at Camp William Penn in Cheltenham Township.

It also experienced a massive influx of Blacks from the real South during the Great Migration of the interwar years. That automatically disqualifies it from being part of the South.

And tbh, Southern cities aren't industrial in character — not even Baltimore feels Southern for that reason. (Birmingham, "the Pittsburgh of the South," is the lone exception, but it wasn't founded until after the war.)

Even the Ragin' Cajun of politics, James Carville, left it out of the South: "From Paoli to Penn Hills it's all Alabama in between." That excludes the two biggest metros. (Your point about Appalachia is well taken, however: Pittsburgh is actually the largest city in Appalachia.)

I also think I can speak to this subject because I grew up in one of the real "border states," one that had slavery until the passage of the 13th Amendment yet never officially seceded from the Union, though half the state tried to. I do, however, map my native and adopted home states onto each other — yet I also maintain that only part of my native state is Southern, and that part includes neither of its two biggest cities and metros.***

*Remember, this state is on the Mason side of the Mason-Dixon Line. You don't enter "Dixie" until you're in Maryland. (And that's why the Marylanders pitched a fit when Pennsylvania put up welcome signs with the tourism slogan at the time, "America Starts Here," along the Pennsylvania-Maryland border during the Rendell administration.)

**The words to Maryland's official state song from 1939 until 2021, "Maryland, My Maryland," are a cry to Marylanders to rally 'round the Confederate cause. That's why they ceased to be sung.

***Although the Battle of Westport — "the Western Gettysburg" — took place in what's now Kansas City, and there was one other significant Civil War battle in nearby Lexington.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:45 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You really aren't catching what I'm putting down.

Short version: don't take it so seriously. Did you look at the link?

Old 04-01-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You really aren't catching what I'm putting down.

Short version: don't take it so seriously. Did you look at the link?
I did, and I guess it flew right over my head.

Since I occasionally engage in "Is Missouri Southern?" back-and-forth, I don't catch tongue-in-cheek references to these sorts of arguments or discussions.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:04 PM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Perhaps they should look into maximizing the oil production and refining capacity of W. PA, and use that as an excuse to run oil tankers out of Erie.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:36 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps because a frighteningly large group of Pennsylvania residents don't know that Pennsylvania is a Great Lakes state. Just because you can't walk across the border doesn't mean it's not a border state.
You can, though, because you're from Ohio. In fact, the Western Reservists can turn it into wine too.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:25 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps because a frighteningly large group of Pennsylvania residents don't know that Pennsylvania is a Great Lakes state.

my 60 years here do not support that. perhaps the people in philly might think that - its not like they consider anything west of harrisburg part of PA. There is a reason why refer to philly as 'west jersey' ;-)

Unless you are like me that frequented Brigantine or Wildwood growing up, 'going to the beach' meant Presque Isle.

what might be MORE true is that people do not know lake erie has canadians on the other side. In fact any of the lakes, including Gitche gumee. They think the great lakes are US lakes, like we own em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania