View Single Post

Old 01-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Nozzferrahhtoo

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
So whats your stand on the "taboo" of humans mating with animals?
My stand on it is exactly what I already said my stand on it is: That it is entirely off topic for the subject of this thread and I am not about to derail the thread simply because you want to go on a tangent and run away from the current subject.

This is a thread about incest. If you want to talk about incest I am here for you. If you want to change the subject then I will not help you do so. Start a new thread if you like and I will see you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
There is no need for research/evidence to support their arguments/personal opinions
How convenient for you. If you can not support your position simply declare you do not have to. What a cop out, but one I am not surprised you would take if you can not back up what you are saying.

The greatest amount of change in society comes from discourse. If I ever could be said to have a religion, which I can not, it would be discourse. It is, as a species, the most precious thing we have. It has been said by men greater than me that where goods and services do not cross borders... armies do. I think it is also true to say that where discourse and ideas do not cross boundaries, violence does. Most violence in my opinion is caused when communication breaks down.

Communication DOES break down when people simply shout their ideas out and refuse to back them up with anything at all, and worse make excuses like you just did for not doing so. This is not discourse, this is preaching and screaming and all it says is that you have your ideas and you do not wish to ever change them and that is fundamentalism. Discourse is for listening to not just what other peoples opinions are, but WHY they hold them... and by that light illuminate your own ideas and see if they require changing. I speak on forums like this not to change anyone elses mind, but to have other people shed light on my positions and opinions to help me see if I need to change my mind.

We learn not just from hearing what other people have to say, but hearing what their basis is for saying it. If we are going to form opinions that affect others we owe it to ourselves to ensure that our basis for those opinions are sound otherwise we can not begin to claim to be engaging in any level of intellectual honesty, but rather simply bias and bigotry.

If you want to go around holding opinions you can not back up then so be it, that is not for me to be worried about, but I certainly am not going to be drawn by you into acting the same.

In fact in the political and social world I find it is very useful to show that certain opinions are being held and espoused based on nothing at all and that some people like yourself would make excuses for such serves my ends wonderfully, so I thank you.