View Single Post

Old 12-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Lilac110

12,535 posts, read 15,215,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
No, I got it right for the point I was making...

The post was saying that it takes a lot of thought & strength & deprogramming to become an atheist.
It's as if sending the Bible is somehow going to "tempt" you back away from that..
Which proves me right when I said that you don't get it.

It has nothing to do with "temptation," and everything to do with it being disrespectful, insulting, passive-aggressive (as many people here have said), and, quite frankly, tedious.

Most people who know me "in real life" know I went to Catholic school. Twelve years of it. So when they get up there and try to talk to me about their god, my reaction is, "Hey, dingbat, after all those years with priests and nuns and growing up in a Catholic household, do you really think I've never heard of Jesus? Please, I probably know more about your religion than you do. Why are you talking to me like you have some new insight to share, like the concept of a god is somehow new to me? WTF, are you DENSE? I purposefully ditched all of that. If I still believed in your god, I'd still be Catholic, aight? Get over it!"

It's kind of like when my SO's uncle wants to discuss politics with me. I am an ex-Republican. There is nothing anyone can say at this point that I haven't already heard before, because I've been on the other side. I was one. I know how the party thinks and operates, and I chose to separate myself from it. Does he really think he can convince me, a grown woman in her 40s, to change my mind? If not, then what is the point of bringing it up again and again and again? To express his opinion? To get digs in? What is the point? How is it productive? Because the only effect it's going to have on me is to alienate me, big time. (And possibly irritate my SO.)

The problem is the insistent desire to constantly try to reopen channels that someone has proactively closed after spending a lot of thought, maybe years considering and pondering, and the arrogance implied in thinking that you--believer, Republican, whatever you are that I once was that I deliberately decided not to be anymore--can somehow make some kind of point by sending me a book that I have declared to be irrelevant to my life. So no, if you don't respect the fact that I am an intelligent woman who can sort these things out for herself, I don't have to respect either your methods or your beliefs.

Last edited by Lilac110; 12-10-2013 at 11:01 PM..