View Single Post

Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Continuum

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Disagree completely
The Qur'an is not a Law book. It is a book of guidance.
In this case, you are putting words into Allah's mouth and interpreting the Quran wrongly on behalf of Allah.

I did not say the Quran is a Law book. I stated the Quran contain various elements, i.e. reminders from Allah, good news, guidance, commands, orders, laws, advice, threats, fears, violence, how to marry your adopted son's wife, etc.
Note I did not say the Quran is solely a 'Law book' or a 'book of commands,' I wonder what is next you will invent and put words into my mouth.

Note the main meaning of what is 'Law';
Law = the principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision.
Law | Define Law at Dictionary.com
Obviously there are elements within the 6,236 verses of the Quran that satisfy the meaning above to qualify them to be regarded as Laws, i.e. Laws of Allah which are enforceable and to be used for judicial decision on Judgment Day in Allah's court in the hereafter.

The Laws of Allah in the Quran are part of the terms and conditions of the covenant.
Muslims who do not comply with the Laws of Allah will be judged and punished and torture in Hell eternally, etc. in accordance to the severity of the sin.
Surely you cannot dispute this point.

You are totally wrong in asserting the Quran is a "book of guidance."

Quote:
The guidance is give in the form of examples and revelations of what to expect in the afterlife. It is also a condensed summary of past scripture. It also tells us some of the Attributes of Allaah(swt)
I say again you are totally wrong in this case.
There are guidance in the Quran but what is critical is the covenant made with Allah with its terms and conditions, i.e. Laws, commands, policies, principles, etc.
Non-compliance with the above Laws, commands, policies and principles by any Muslim will incur Allah's wrath and punishments depending on the severity of the sin.

Quote:
The covenant we have with Allaah(swt) is that we will worship him alone. To include the Qur'an as a Rule Book of Islam complicates the covenenant of simply "Worshiping Allaah(swt) alone.
I suggest you reread and refresh on all the 6,236 verses of the Quran in its whole context.
"Worshipping Allah alone" is merely one of the main term of the covenant.

Note in 33:23 where some fulfill their vows with their life, proved "Worshipping Allah alone" is not the sole term of the covenant.
There are a full set of terms and conditions in the Quran. Suggest you reread the whole and refresh on the Quran again.

Note a covenant is a theological agreement or contract and in the context of Islam, it contain a set of terms and conditions especially where it cover one's way of life.

Quote:
If a person were to adhere to the Qur'an alone, they would not be performing Islam. One does not join Islam, one performs Islam.

Part of the guidance found in the Qur'an is that we are to keep our performance of Islam simple.The Qur'an does not call for a complex covenant filled with rules and laws. We are to simply worship Allaah(swt), no one or anything else.
The Quran is the sole source of Allah's words and message to Muslims.
The Quran itself assert it is perfect and complete. [Are you disputing Allah's word on this point?]

The Quran is the sole authority of Islam and no where else. There is a complete set of principles in the Quran to enable one to be a complete Muslim.
Obviously the principles need to be expounded and all details and actions to be performed need to be in accordance to the principles.

The Quran itself has detail instructions beside the principles, and where there are no detailed procedures Muslims can establish their own or rely on Islamic scholars' Hadiths, Madhab, Sira, guides, etc.
For example, the Quran stated certain women [not child or old hags] must cover their bosom and that is a sufficient detailed instruction.
These detailed procedures must be aligned [with best effort] with the principles in the Quran, and ultimately only Allah will judge a Muslim's deeds on Judgment Day.

Obviously the Quran need not state, "this is a covenant with this terms and conditions specifically."
The covenant with Allah in the Quran and Islam is a default and imperative.

If you read the Quran, the context of the covenant is very glaring with Allah stating his promises and then the obligations of a Muslim to gain what is promised by Allah.
Note the term "covenant" is mentioned 51 times in the Quran [Pickthall], e.g. [mine]
2:40 O Children of Israel! Remember My favour wherewith I favoured you, and fulfil your (part of the) covenant, I [Allah] shall fulfil My (part of the) covenant, and fear Me.

16:91 Fulfil the covenant of Allah when ye have covenanted, and break not your oaths after the asseveration [affirm positively] of them, and after ye have made Allah surety over you. Lo! Allah knoweth what ye do.

33:23 Of the believers are men who are true to that which they covenanted with Allah. Some of them have paid their vow by death (in battle), and some of them still are waiting; and they have not altered in the least;

I feel embarrass that I have to show you the above especially when you are supposedly an expert in the Quran and its message.

Note 33:23 and the special mention of 'paid their vow by death' motivate SOME Muslims to sacrifice their life by suicide bombing in the cause of Allah. If 'paid their vow' is not a term of a covenant, then what is it?

I [with humility] suggest you reread the 51 verses with the term 'covenant' and reflect deeply and objectively on their actual contexts and you will come to understand what I have been asserting regarding 'covenant' is correct.

If one want to be serious Muslim must understand [as men of understanding] the above concept of the covenant in the Quran. Otherwise that Muslim is lost and may not meet Allah's expectation on Judgment Day.

Last edited by Continuum; 01-10-2016 at 08:25 PM..