Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM

399 posts, read 685,471 times

Advertisements

A post of mine was recently removed due to 'hijacking'. I am still learning about this forum. What does that mean?
I certainly didn't do it intentionally!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
That is hard to define. Normally I would say it is diverting a topic off to a side topic. Say discussing hijacking and someone starts complaining about their post being tagged for hijacking and someone else starts a rant against moderators for other perceived issues and the thread quits being about the definition of hijacking and becomes a ranting against moderators instead.

I have been tagged for hijacking also, for posts i thought were simply commenting on prior conversations supplementing the topic and I had no intention of moving away from the thread topic. That is why I feel it is hard to define. That same hijacking thread could move into comments about how some moderators are more prone than others to call hijacking and some dont seem to notice blatant hijacking as part of the description of how vague the action can be. That could be construed by some as a divergent topic, yet others might see it as an example of how hard it is to identify hijacking and pointing out that even moderators dont seem to agree on what it is.

I think that as long as threads include more that two people and three posts, hijacking could become an issue even if unintentional and that moderators have to allow some leeway to the topic flow to encourage open exchange of ideas. There is a limit though, and even if it is hard to always identify, some people will try to take over a thread instead of starting their own.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,270,501 times
It's an off topic post that moves the discussion into an entirely new direction, not intended by the OP. I'd be hijacking your thread if, instead of replying to your question or commenting on it, I posted something like this: "Yeah, I had a post deleted, too, for personal attacks. Why was that?" I'd basically also be asking about a deleted post but it's a completely different topic.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
That is hard to define. Normally I would say it is diverting a topic off to a side topic.
Quote:
There is a limit though, and even if it is hard to always identify, some people will try to take over a thread instead of starting their own.
Good explanations... Normally the original post (OP) and Title of the thread define the topic.

The Terms of Service say "Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

From the FAQ:
OFF TOPIC: Off topic threads/posts
OFF-TOPIC: What is Off-Topic "for the Thread" vs. Off Topic "for the Forum"

Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
That is hard to define. Normally I would say it is diverting a topic off to a side topic. Say discussing hijacking and someone starts complaining about their post being tagged for hijacking and someone else starts a rant against moderators for other perceived issues and the thread quits being about the definition of hijacking and becomes a ranting against moderators instead.
This is a pretty good explanation. Really hijacking is a series of off-topic posts that take over the thread. One person starts the movement by throwing in a sentence in their otherwise on-topic post and someone along the way latches on to that one sentence and makes it the focus of their entire post. Next thing you know the posts have nothing to do with the thread title or first post. Some posts are clear attempts to hijack a thread but most times it is just an honest response to what the poster felt strongest about in another person's post. Once that happens, while clearly people are interested in discussing the new topic, the off-topic posts get removed because it isn't fair to the people who want to discuss the original topic of the thread.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:09 AM

399 posts, read 685,471 times
Thanks all! I totally thought it was similar to plagiarism, like repeating what another poster had written. Now I understand!

Old 10-23-2014, 12:57 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
I find it can be a bit confusing. If I'm participating in a thread, but I feel like my contributions or questions are a little bit different than the OP, then I might start a different thread. But then, someone might chastise me for starting another thread about something that is already being discussed.

I try to use my best judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum