Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times

Advertisements

Why do I see threads in different forums get closed, locked down, or moved because of one member who makes a post that is angry, rude or worse? It’s not the fault of the topic or all members who are providing input to the thread; it’s usually one undesirable person who manages to cause the problem. What happens to them – nothing, but they accomplish what they intended to do – kill the thread! Why can't the moderators remove the "post" and allow the thread to continue instead? IMHO

Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times
That's a decent point. But I suppose once seeing a topic disintegrate, removing one perpetrator may not stop the next, because it ultimately is about the topic. We live in a world of separation - left/right, black/white, Christian/Jewish, etc. Each of us have different values, viewpoints, ideologies, and the like.

Some topics in a forum setting can go toxic, and maybe the moderator feels they don't want to keep policing the same thread. I have seen topics closed and reopened before, with a moderator stating closed for evaluation. This is a busy place, and I certainly wouldn't want to be a moderator. That's a lot of work.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
I agree with the OP.

I see lots of interesting threads closed.

The response is always that the users don't really know what is going on behind the scenes - true - but we can see what is published and if it is not flaming or worse, it's hard to comprehend why a certain thread is just closed (instead of targeting troublemakers and removing any severely toxic posts).

Old 04-24-2018, 01:30 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,272,754 times
It's been explained many times already: such a thread gets closed when a moderator has to deal with new posts that need to be deleted over and over again. It's plausible to clean a thread once, perhaps twice but if posters decide to derail it continuously, we close the thread. You can thank your peers for that, not moderators. None of us has commited to being on service for 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum