Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

I've really enjoyed participating in the forum over the past few months but I'm getting tired of reading some of the stupidest questions coming out of people, like "are there cockroaches in Hilton Head" or do "tornadoes hit coastal counties" and asking the vaguest and most general questions about cities that have been thoroughly discussed.

And I find myself (stupid person that I am) googling very basic information for people who don't have the wherewithall to do it themselves.

Are these really the kinds of questions people need to bother others with?

I admit to being a bit cranky at times, can't help it, but maybe if there were better instructions for use of the forum like "use search button first, ask questions later" might be a great service to newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Yes, it might be helpful (for seekers and members alike) if the forum had some kind of "Before You Post Your Question..." notice.

It would be great to see the actual state page (as found here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Georgia.html, for example) pinned to the top in each state forum.

(I posted in the Georgia forum for weeks before noticing City-Data's main site and all that great information.)

Also, in my brief time here, I've seen many people posting advertisements in various forums - not only for real estate businesses but also advertising personal residences. They get deleted eventually, but those are annoying and obviously create more work for moderators.

Why not add a bold red text clause restating City-Data's "No advertising in the forums" policy which people must accept by clicking when they register? Not foolproof, true, but it might deter all but the brazen ones who seem determined to steal as much free ad time as possible before being banned.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 AM

You've said it better than I, Figment.

I reread the forum rules and had a few ideas: For one thing, it also took me several weeks to find them. Maybe they should be clearly posted on the home page and at the beginning of the forum.

The rules are clear but too wordy. The people who are posting unproductive questions are probably the same people who don't read directions in the first place.

Maybe a couple of moderators could get together and rewrite them so that each topic starts off in bold type.

No Advertising - explanation in normal text

Search first, ask question later- tell how to seach and where

Skip lines between topics or use bullets for clarity.

Maybe the rules must be read prior to signing up.

Other problems I've encountered are that basic how-tos are not listed in one place, like how to make a poll, how to delete a post, etc.

You moderators are doing a fantastic job, really and truly. I'm just putting in my two cents.

Thanks.

Last edited by ellie; 02-22-2007 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 12:34 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Maybe the rules must be read prior to signing up.
That's an excellent idea! Set up the registration up like the sites that require you to "click here", acknowledging they've read the "privacy statement", etc. before being allowed access. There's no guarantee that the newbies will actually read the rules, however, the Mods would have on record the newbies acknowledgement.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Default City-Data Archive Tool

There is a nice feature at the very bottom right-hand corner that says "Archive." Click on this and you will see links to all forums and city sub forums. People can use this to see if their question has already been asked or add some information to existing topics. If possible, can the Archive link be moved to the top menu next to Search?

Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I agree that very vague or general questions that could be easily answered by spending 30 seconds of googling, can be irritating. Questions like "is it cold there?" (try the City Data main page) or "what is there to do for fun?" (same stuff everywhere pretty much) or "how far is City A from City B?" (mapquest). I realize that not everyone is particularly internet savvy, and I try to be patient though and will general answer even these sorts of questions when I come upon them, but if it's met with more and more vague general questions, that's when I'll get frustrated and bow out of a thread. Generally, I won't put as much effort into answering vague and general questions and will respond very quickly and then ask if they have anything more specific, in which case, I'll expand upon my response as well.

Lately, I've been giving more and more links to older threads for posters just because they're oftentimes asking questions that have already been covered which isn't their fault really as especially someone new to using message boards may not realize or know how to use the search function. I want to help but just am a bit lazy and too impatient to type the same exact post I may remember typing three weeks ago, especially considering how long-winded I tend to be.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:26 AM

I figure if someone is internet savvy enough to find this site, they are savvy enough to find the answers to quite a few obvious questions.

I think the homepage should provide far more introductory and explanatory information. There appears to be a very weak link between the stats page and the forum, and vice versa.

The homepage should serve as a guide to everyone who enters the site.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,744,612 times
Yes, you are correct, we need better links from the forum to the main site. It's on our list of things to do and we are already testing some implementations.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default It's been there... for months!

Ellie / Figment: the "search first" advice has been in the Terms of Service (TOS) for months. Here it is:

Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise.

When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."

The words are in the TOS. I know. I wrote them. Same frustrations as you. I get cranky too. PMS. Pre-Maturely Senile.

s/Mike from back east

Old 02-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for replying. You and I know what the TOS are but several of us feel that they should be posted more clearly and agreed to before registering.

most important facts first
then list the other items.

Main points in bold. blah blah blah afterwards in normal type. Most people don't read the blah blah blah.

Think simple. people are into much of a hurry to read fine print

keep them shortlike I said, people have short attention spans

skip lines between ideas some people can't see well

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum