Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:26 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times

Advertisements

It's nearly an hour in length, but I encourage everyone to watch Paul Sunderland's lecture, "Remembered Not Recalled." Undoubtedly, some here will dismiss it with a wave of the hand and a flippant "Not MY child! ", but there are innumerable adoptees who've watched it and said "This guy really GETS it!"

And, after all, who would be more knowledgeable about whether something is relevent to an adoptee's situation than, you know, an adoptee?

Paul Sunderland Lecture

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:10 PM

393 posts, read 598,938 times
Thank you so very much Green for posting the link. I had only seen a short video of it before - listened to it while doing chores. Highly recommend it - it isn't just about addiction - so much more.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 PM

167 posts, read 187,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Irish Eyes View Post
It's nearly an hour in length, but I encourage everyone to watch Paul Sunderland's lecture, "Remembered Not Recalled." Undoubtedly, some here will dismiss it with a wave of the hand and a flippant "Not MY child! ", but there are innumerable adoptees who've watched it and said "This guy really GETS it!"

And, after all, who would be more knowledgeable about whether something is relevent to an adoptee's situation than, you know, an adoptee?

Paul Sunderland Lecture

Thank you! Listening to it as I type. I'm an efficient multi-tasker.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 PM

509 posts, read 587,703 times
Thank you! I will listen tomorrow on the commute to work and post thoughts.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,709 times
I came across this a while back. It was the first lecture I ever heard on developmental PTSD & it is very good. I hope this continues to be researched & that people stop refusing to believe adoption loss/trauma cannot exist for infants.

There is so much here to discuss that I don't know where to start. I'll come back to it in a bit!

Quote:
What we're actually talking about is ADAPTION, not ADOPTION.
So true.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 04-15-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,709 times
First here are the three main points of the lecture:

1. With adoption/relinquishment there is always a trauma (if not more than one trauma).
2. The trauma is remembered, but not recalled (because it's an implicit memory that is stored in the limbic system).
3. The trauma happens at the beginning of life, so unlike typical cases of PTSD, there is no pre-trauma personality.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM

89 posts, read 125,794 times
Thanks for posted this! It should be required watching for anyone involved with adoption. Paul Sunderland really gets it. Nice to have one's own experiences acknowledged by a professional. Sure beats having it dismissed or ridiculed by an amateur.

"(Adoption) the only condition that really doesn't describe what happened."
"The relinquishment wound(s) ... can be seen as a post traumatic stress disorder..."
"There is no adoption without trauma, there is no relinquishment without trauma."
"For the adoptee, the issue of abandonment is life threatening. Can we imagine... is there a bigger trauma than being separated from your mother, the one person you need at the beginning of life ... I think not."
"There is NO pre-trauma personality"

And this gem:
"It's not so much what happens to you in life that throws you, it's actually how secure your beginnings are. It's a bit like the storm analogy. In a storm, the trees don't blow down just because the wind is strong. The ones that blow down blow down because the roots aren't strong enough to hold them up."

Last edited by Scott_K; 04-15-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,882 times
I'd love to be able to watch it. Unfortunately, I haven't had access to youtube for a while (don't have access at work). Do you know if there is a transcript somewhere of his talk?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I'd love to be able to watch it. Unfortunately, I haven't had access to youtube for a while (don't have access at work). Do you know if there is a transcript somewhere of his talk?
The link I posted here isn't on YouTube -- it's hosted directly on the Life Works Community site. Are you able to access that?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM

509 posts, read 587,703 times
This was a fantastic talk!! I am discussing with my husband over dinner and will be urging him to listen to it.

I don't have time now, but I'll pop back over to share thoughts. I'd highly encourage every AP to listen to this. It was very informative.

Thanks for sharing, Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption