Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 61,028 times

Advertisements

I want to visit Kruger National Park and see some giraffe's and other African wildlife, maybe buy a safari hat if they still have them for sale. But I'm white, very white, and should I be concerned? I'm from Canada do I need a Visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
My dad is a white american, not "very very white" but normal white . He went there 2 years ago and liked it. Didn't have any problems. I know some white Brazilian who have studied english there and also liked it. I know it is really high crime but you just have to be careful and educate yourself before going.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,358 times
You'll hardly be the only white guy in South Africa. If you don't plan on living in a farmhouse with just yourself or your family you'll probably be as safe as anyone else in South Africa even if you are white. Just bring some sunscreen or wear long sleeve shirts and pants and a hat. I'm pretty sure they still make those hats somewhere. Not sure about the visa.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Indeed not. There are some five million whites living there and many hundreds of thousands of international tourists.

Kruger Park is mostly white. South Africa calls itself the 'rainbow nation' due to the many different colours and races living there.

By the nature of the place it is somewhat hard to define What are South Africans like. Many different languages spoken as well.

Could benefit by reading up on the subject if haven't done so already.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,866 times
Well I find many South Africans arrogant. I never been to South Africa but in my country Australia there are many, many South Africans. Many Australians also would agree with my views on finding many South Africans arrogant or an majority of them.

Good luck with your vacation to South Africa. I sure parts of the country is beautiful and hope you also have an safe time.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
South Africa is a great country to visit. Very diverse and far less regulated than Australia which seems to be overgoverned in rules.

I know a lot of Aussies come out with the same cliches with regards to South Africans( here they refer to white immigrants as have probably never met anyone from the majority race)

Go with an open mind and try and see more than just Kruger Nat Park. Fasinating country.Enjoy.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 AM

126 posts, read 252,713 times
We are arrogant i admit it. But our country is great and we welcome u with open arms.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the true pro-apartied whites in South Africa already left the country. Until this last year, South Africa was experiencing "white flight," many of which were not satisifed with the changes that took place in their country. I believe the majority of those white South Africans remaining (which are still many) are more accepting of those changes. Hence, we do not have to negatively label most white South Africans.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,119 times
We are arrogant? Wow that is a first. I am speechless...

Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM

95 posts, read 315,641 times
South Africa is great and it had plenty of white people there. For the most part everyone will treat you nice because you are a tourist with $$$. Kruger is nice but try going to a private game reserve also. The private game reserve was an even better experience for me than Kruger. You do not need a Visa being from Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa