Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,614 times

Advertisements

China Is Africa's New Colonial Overlord, Says Famed Primate Researcher Jane Goodall

One of my interests is China's involvement in Africa. I still believe China is fooling the Africans and exploiting them. I agree with Dr. Goodall. This just came out yesterday. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Hey! Maybe now Africa will stop blaming Europeans for all their problems!

On a less judgmental note, perhaps this will bring jobs to Africa and valuable skill sets. Africa apparently has a vast array of resources, but most of the people just sit on them and do nothing to better their economies. If they pay attention to China, they can perhaps learn a thing or two.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Hey! Maybe now Africa will stop blaming Europeans for all their problems!

On a less judgmental note, perhaps this will bring jobs to Africa and valuable skill sets. Africa apparently has a vast array of resources, but most of the people just sit on them and do nothing to better their economies. If they pay attention to China, they can perhaps learn a thing or two.
I think China is there to take resources.

Africa is already socially, economically and psychologically crippled by centuries of slavery, exploitation, famine, war, genocide and cultural siege. Racism is now a global standard. All cultures lighten their skin due to colonialism or history(elite stayed in doors and pale while dark peasants worked in the field)

If China takes Africa's precious metals, ores, water, wood and other resources...what will be left? They're also crippling the lands with debt the way they did with America. China is also fueling poaching in Africa due to traditional Chinese medicine using ivory. Now the environment and ecology of Africa will also be destroyed. Combined with desertification, the Boko Haram, the impending water wars and climate change..what's going to happen?

The Chinese are sly to exploit Africa without the brutality that the Europeans used. Just like how the Native Americans first thought white settlers were Gods, the Africans see Chinese as their saviors who will pull them up from poverty caused by the exploitation by European empires. The only difference is China is several thousand years late to the game, and it's hard to say what the future will tell. How will Africans perceive China in 10 years? Who knows.

Maybe instead of indirectly killing Africans, China will militarize them and make Africa its pet the way America and the UK have made other countries its pet.

My opinion on this is that my sympathy for blacks around the world continues. It's so sad. It makes you wonder what they did wrong as a diaspora to undergo such torment throughout the history of humanity. Even if their people didn't invent anything like the ancient societies of China, India, Europe etc or create empires that ruled the world.. I still think it's inhumane to do stuff like this. Just help them. They'll never compete with the rest of the world. They're thousands of years too late. Just let them live a humane life.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
You are making excuses for Africans. Africans and their diaspora have no one to blame but themselves for their own situations.

Countless countries, most notably CHINA also suffered intense persecution and suffering in the past. Do you see them blaming others for their situation in life? No. China also endured through colonialism. The British literally masterminded a scheme to get the whole country addicted to opium to prevent China from industrializing in the 19th century. It also suffered the second largest human massacre in the history of this world during WWII at the hands of Imperial Japan. 25 million people massacred and for the most part every city on the east coast of china was devastated and laid to waste. You would think that if any country had a right to complain to the world about its past treatment it would be China. But they don't. They powered through their hardships as a people and are now rising to be the worlds greatest economic power.

Africa has faced less hardship then China. Most of Africa was in fact wealthier than China until the 1980s. I think Africa is rapidly running out of excuses it can use to justify the quality of life their people lead.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM

I'm not making excuses for the Africans.

China and Africa are not similar. You're thinking too narrow and too recent.

China has historically been a very productive people. Their people have invented fireworks, paper, printing, the compass, gunpowder. From the dawn of their conception, China's diaspora's culture is highly sophisticated and advanced. The Mongol empire is one of the biggest in history. The Chinese built elaborate palaces and the Great Wall of China. They're genetically and culturally/socially similar to Japanese, Koreans who also have stories cultures, religions and societies. Even now they dominate STEM fields in Asia and here in the US/Canada/UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ese_inventions

Africa has never had this historical advantage. Africa has had no inventions, no meaningful empires that stem outside of Africa and no contribution to society in social science, science, math or engineering. Even if history is hiding some African inventions from us, either someone else did it better, faster, sooner or popularized it better...or it was erased from history. In economic terms, they don't have comparative advantage.

My point is still the same. It's just not right to treat these people like chickens used to make lunch. Stop exploiting them. The world's environmental problems will be enough. China should conduct business with Africa rather than exploiting them through economic and social slyness. Stop funding the "government" and the rebels. Stop exploiting African workers like Mexicans in the US.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
First,people need to keep in mind that the Chinese gov't is a very oppressive corrupt government itself. So it shouldn't be surprising that they are willing to get in deals with corrupt African governments.

Second, Africa as whole won't improve until African governments become more democratic and implement economic policies that will allow their private sectors to develop. There are still too many regimes and wrong headed economic policies in place across Africa.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
First,people need to keep in mind that the Chinese gov't is a very oppressive corrupt government itself. So it shouldn't be surprising that they are willing to get in deals with corrupt African governments.

Second, Africa as whole won't improve until African governments become more democratic and implement economic policies that will allow their private sectors to develop. There are still too many regimes and wrong headed economic policies in place across Africa.
Like where?

I also don't see China as corrupt. They're selfish and sort of fascist...I don't know about corrupt. They do what's best for their people, their economy and their country.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:03 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Like where?

I also don't see China as corrupt. They're selfish and sort of fascist...I don't know about corrupt. They do what's best for their people, their economy and their country.
Are you saying that you have no familiarity with the corruption in China and across the African continent?

China warns officials not to cover up corruption | Reuters

allAfrica.com: Africa: Governments Failing in Corruption Fight

Old 02-20-2014, 05:35 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Like where?

I guess you missed that famine. Also why are you compare one of the oldest nations in the world to a bunch or randomly made nations.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
China Is Africa's New Colonial Overlord, Says Famed Primate Researcher Jane Goodall

One of my interests is China's involvement in Africa. I still believe China is fooling the Africans and exploiting them. I agree with Dr. Goodall. This just came out yesterday. What do you think?

You already opened a thread on the same subject ?

What's the point have 2 threads about China involvement in Africa ?

Do you see China as exploiting Africa or helping Africa?(poll)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa