Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,727 times

Advertisements

This is a question both to South Africans and Dutch on here - or to people who know these two societies well.

What's the relationship between modern Dutch people in the Netherlands and Afrikaners (i.e. Afrikaans-speaking whites) in South Africa?

I'm interested in any observations about how these two societies interract really. For example:

Would they typically speak Dutch/Afrikaans to each other if they were to meet, or would English be necessary?

Is there much contact between the two societies these days? Are there many Afrikaners living in the Netherlands and vice-versa?

Is the relationship analagous to Brits/Aussies? Or French/Quebeckers? Spanish/Hispano-Americans? Totally unlike any of these?

Is there anything similar about the culture? It seems to me that both are quite different, i.e. the Dutch are super liberal and very secular, wheras Afrikaner society seems to be more conservative/Christian. Is this true?

Any observations/thoughts would be well received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
This is a question both to South Africans and Dutch on here - or to people who know these two societies well.

What's the relationship between modern Dutch people in the Netherlands and Afrikaners (i.e. Afrikaans-speaking whites) in South Africa?

I'm interested in any observations about how these two societies interract really. For example:

Would they typically speak Dutch/Afrikaans to each other if they were to meet, or would English be necessary?

Is there much contact between the two societies these days? Are there many Afrikaners living in the Netherlands and vice-versa?

Is the relationship analagous to Brits/Aussies? Or French/Quebeckers? Spanish/Hispano-Americans? Totally unlike any of these?

Is there anything similar about the culture? It seems to me that both are quite different, i.e. the Dutch are super liberal and very secular, wheras Afrikaner society seems to be more conservative/Christian. Is this true?

Any observations/thoughts would be well received.

English would be necessary, that''s all I know, all your other questions, I have no clue
Other similiarity: Both are very direct can be misconstrued as being rude.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:48 AM

211 posts, read 519,234 times
Being someone of South African Dutch decent - Afrikaaners typically speak Afrikaans or English to themselves and Dutch but there aren't many Afrikaaners who actually relate to Dutch culture. Many stick with their South African roots and tend to go by British culture. Many Afrikaaners know only a tad of Afrikaans though and a minority can speak Dutch; I would say a handful of the older folks could. There are many Afrikaaners worldwide but they tend to immigrate to Australia, New Zealand, the UK, or Canada (when they do immigrate, that's where they usually go). There is no correlation between the Afrikaaners and the French and Spanish, they are all different. There are a couple of Spanish white South Africans though. Afrikaaner society is more or less conservative, and many can be bigots, I'll admit that. Nobody ever talks about Jewish-Afrikaaners though, not all Afrikaaners are Christian. Many are Jewish or Protestant too. There are younger liberal Afrikaaners but most are predominantly Jewish and living in cities like Johannesburg/Sandton City reigion, the Pretoria suburbs, Cape Town, and the North-Durban suburbs.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:28 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
English would be necessary, that''s all I know, all your other questions, I have no clue
Other similiarity: Both are very direct can be misconstrued as being rude.
Not necessarily. Afrikaans is more similar to Dutch than many Dutch dialects (which sometimes sound like completely different languages). I can read Afrikaans quite easily but spoken Afrikaans is more of a challenge because they pronounce certain words differently. Approximately 90-95% of Afrikaans vocabulary comes from Dutch, the main differences are in spelling, grammar and morphology. I have heard that it's easier for Dutch people to understand Afrikaans than vice versa.

Here's an interview of Charlize Theron and a Belgian (Dutch-speaking) interviewer:

Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,690 times
I speak Afrikaans, but can only read Dutch. Our connection is only historical. As much as Americas and England's. maybe not even that close c

Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 PM

211 posts, read 519,234 times
I can speak some Afrikaans, but can barely read any. If you are Dutch and 100% fluent in it, there is a 90% chance that you could understand some Afrikaans.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,071 times
I'm Dutch myself, and I've read some Afrikaanse newspapers and talked to Suid-Afrikaners. I can understand about 95% of what they say, as Afrikaans is a simplified, old version of Dutch (of course with their own influences as well).

Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM

337 posts, read 494,669 times
I probably don't count in this conversation, but my grandmother spoke Dutch while growing up in Holland, Michigan and I am now trying to learn the language myself. I started with Dutch proper but switched to Afrikaans because, well, it's easier. Dutch is much more formal and has more rules, Afrikaans just grew apart from that due to separation.

BTW, any Afrikaners willing to practice with me? I don't know any Afrikaans speakers in my area. I'm by no means fluent but could really use some simple practice.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
It's all been said. The connection between these two countries was broken hundreds of years ago, as the British expanded their control from Cape Colony to the interior where the Afrikaners had established new colonies under their own right to escape British power. Afrikaners fought two wars of independence against their British rulers in 1880 and 1889, as a result, and lost both. The British Union of South Africa was established in 1907. In 1909, The British eventually allowed limited home rule to the Afrikaners, but by the end of WWII Afrikaners controlled the presidency and the legislature and dominated the political scene. In 1961, in a token move, South Africa was granted independence from Britain and became known as the Republic of South Africa without any change in the political structure. Afrikaners shed no tears at their departure.

Afrikaners came from many different European countries; they were not all Dutch. They were mainly protestants from Holland, Belgium, France and Germany. Afrikaans and the Afrikaner culture evolved over several centuries, formed in the crucible of a long period of expansive settlement to escape British rule, two bloody wars, and internecine political warfare between them and their colonial rulers.

Today, few Afrikaners hold foreign passports. Only the rich ones can afford to journey back to Europe. (Yes, there are poor whites in South Africa). Their cultural ties to the homes of their forbearers has been broken - even more strongly than in the USA. About all that is left is the Dutch Reform Church. South Africans are as different, nay even more different, from Dutch people as an Irish Boston cop is from 5th generation cousins in County Cork.

South Africa is its own country and it was built by the Afrikaners over 450 years, for better or worse The language is their own, with Dutch and Flemish roots and a host of loan-words that don't occur in the Dutch language. It is difficult for the Dutch to understand, just as the country's racial history is hard for the sanctimonious dutch people to understand.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
Default Refugee status for white SA people

Thank you to the person that wrote this article. I'm a well educated 38 year old white male and would love to call it a day here in SA because of the hate towards white people here. Hate that has been created from before I was able to vote. I can immigrate yes, but there are allot of white people that do not have the financial means of doing so.

Our generation and the ones to come are paying the price for the enrichment of Germany, the Netherlands and the UK through colonialism. All about slave trade and minerals. The same money that is still in their system today. Surely they can see what hate has been created through their actions and surely they can realize that white people have no home here in SA. Another slaughtered white family in the news is nothing new in the papers. They sing and chant "kill the Boer" on a daily bases and they are being killed on farms all the time. Singing they will take back their land, organised Genocide to say the least. It's getting worse everyday. White people are not allowed to work at most organisations due to the BBE law passed by the ruling ANC regime. Yet they say we are now all equal.

The politicians use the hate speech to gather votes, it's scary what they promise the people. White land, white homes..drive the whites into the sea. We merely observe the political wave like sitting ducks. We know that even if they take all of our houses (5 million perhaps if each white person had a house) there will still be a population of 50 million black people that needs housing. The black people do not see this. They only see the politician's promises of wealth.

The above mentioned countries must realize that they left behind their own offspring. Offspring that thrived, going to universities, opening businesses etc. not hopeless individuals. At last a form of refugee that will contribute to the economy and will look great on your refugee statistics.

We were born on this land yet we are being killed like pests, driven out of the economic system and reminded everyday that we are not welcome in this place called South Africa.

When some of us tried to brake away from the crime, corruption, horror attacks and hate speech some formed a town called Oranje in the middle of nowhere. They ask nothing but to be left alone. They are self sustained and just wanted to have peace. This, according to the EFF party, is also not right. They will no longer exist when EFF comes to rule. I ask you what on earth must we do?

I don't know who will ever read this but if you do, remember we were once one of you. And we live like this every single day. In fear of tomorrow, will we be next to be slaughtered because of our father's sins? Will you lave this gene pool to be extinguished by the haters or will you help them? What is the difference between us and the Jews. Did we not promise each other that this will never happen again?

It's not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa