Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

When you hear people say that Africa or Africans need to unite what exactly does that mean? What is African unity supposed to look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 08:47 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Is a United States Of Africa the way to go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc4TDIlCcpM

Old 07-15-2017, 03:17 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
At a minimum, it means greater economic cooperation/reliance on Africa/Africans vs. on nations from other continents. Then there is the cultural aspect of it, with calls for greater cultural cooperation and understanding, which would foreseeably lead to less political instability in some instances.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:36 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
At a minimum, it means greater economic cooperation/reliance on Africa/Africans vs. on nations from other continents. Then there is the cultural aspect of it, with calls for greater cultural cooperation and understanding, which would foreseeably lead to less political instability in some instances.
That's my take on it as well, although the notion of African unity is harder to define since there are far too many distinct groups with little connection to one another over there.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:44 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's my take on it as well, although the notion of African unity is harder to define since there are far too many distinct groups with little connection to one another over there.
It's no different than America over here. There are many distinct groups with little connection to one another here as well. What gives them commonality is that they are African. What gives Americans commonality is that we're Americans.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
It's no different than America over here. There are many distinct groups with little connection to one another here as well. What gives them commonality is that they are African. What gives Americans commonality is that we're Americans.
Are you referring to America as a continent here or the US? I'm not sure how being African by itself is a commonality, other than the fact that they occupy the same geographic are, which is an entire continent in this case.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Are you referring to America as a continent here or the US? I'm not sure how being African by itself is a commonality, other than the fact that they occupy the same geographic are, which is an entire continent in this case.
It doesn't really matter but yes I was referring to the United States of America. However, we could also include all of the Americas for this analogy. I'm not sure that the term Africans unity is any different from any other group unity. Doesn't matter where it is. Unity simply meaning here, that uniting around one commonality or more is feasible.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
It doesn't really matter but yes I was referring to the United States of America. However, we could also include all of the Americas for this analogy. I'm not sure that the term Africans unity is any different from any other group unity. Doesn't matter where it is. Unity simply meaning here, that uniting around one commonality or more is feasible.
I understand your point about commonality, but I'm not sure I really see it in this case.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:23 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
Unity usually takes place when there is a common goal or objective.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
At best it is a coordination of economic, social and political policies and having joint positions in international forums.

It isn't culture because Africa is Morocco down to South Africa and the notion that there could be cultural cooperation between groups that diverse is not going to happen. Even as we speak Arabized blacks in Mauritania and Sudan are trying to enslave darker Africans. Ethiopians and Somalis are insulted if connected to sub Saharan Africans and have been known to spew anti black bigotry that would make David Duke blush.

I will not even mention Nigeria where various ethnic groups are at war or Kenya where the mere prospect of an election could result in extreme ethnic conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa