Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times

Advertisements

^Why am I not seeing Oak Hill Cemetery on there?

As for breakins and what not, just because there has been a burglary in a neighborhood doesn't mean it's a bad area. Usually druggies burglarize places and neighborhoods where they know they lay of the land, the houses and even the homeowners. When i lived in Niles my pot-head neighbors had their Xbox, dvds, etc stolen, my house was never touched and neither was anyone esle's in the neighborhood (i was was not afraid that my house would be broken into). My theory is that someone they knew stole the stuff to get money to buy drugs. If you hang around or are related to druggies, pill-poppers, or just bad people in general your house could be a target.

Cortland has very little crime, but as it turns out all communities have people that are addicted to drugs, those people need money, so they lie, cheat and steal. My boyfriend's parent's house got broken into last year (in broad daylight) and they live in a very safe area on a golf course w/$200k-$300k+ houses. There are breakins out in the country, in your neighborhood and mine.

In Cortland's case I believe the person responsible for the breakins is a kid that graduated w/my brother. This is the same kid that was doing sexual favors for money at a local state park (to buy drugs). He was also arrested several years ago for breaking into upscale homes in his grandparent's neighborhood in Bazetta (he was in prison for that for awhile). Then about a year and a half to two years ago the kid is out of prison and we're having breakins around town. Well after several breakins the Cortland and Bazetta Police Departments knew he was out of and they just had to catch him. Several months ago this person was caught red-handed breaking into Handyman Hardware on Route 5, big shocker, he used to work there! This kid has a drug problem, he mother and grandparents enable him over and over again. Whenever he gets out of jail his extended family and friends warn the police and neighbors that he's back out and to keep on eye out for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
I can tell you exactly why my brother keeps getting robbed. He is the only one on his street that has a job.

The rest of them are welfare recipients, convicts, and druggies.

It wasn't like that when he bought the place in 2000. It was still a decent neighborhood. That's how fast things are changing on the West side. He was the last hold out because he wanted to be able to walk to church. Luckily, his new house will be finished in another week, and then he will walk away from the crap hole we call the West side.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:57 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
^Why am I not seeing Oak Hill Cemetery on there?
That's a great question! Niver noticed that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I can tell you exactly why my brother keeps getting robbed. He is the only one on his street that has a job.

The rest of them are welfare recipients, convicts, and druggies.

It wasn't like that when he bought the place in 2000. It was still a decent neighborhood. That's how fast things are changing on the West side. He was the last hold out because he wanted to be able to walk to church. Luckily, his new house will be finished in another week, and then he will walk away from the crap hole we call the West side.
Well there you go! It shouldn't be too hard to find a street that isn't like that.

I never had the impression, in the time I've lived here, that the streets north of Mahoning and east of N. Maryland, were that nice. (not exactly sure if that's where your brother lives, or not.)

Tell him thanks for helping to add to the problems the city is facing. We all appreciate it!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Here's an example, from today's paper, of crime commited in the suburbs by druggies..........

Quote:
The OxyContin trafficking occurred early in 2010 in Mahoning County, and the burglaries occurred in late 2009 and early 2010 in Parkman, Hubbard, Boardman, Poland and Columbiana, according to the indictment.
Youngstown News, Brothers get prison terms for burglaries drugs

Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 PM

498 posts, read 1,508,036 times
ah the bickering, and the chit-chat trying to rationalize away crime. this is getting closer to the true youngstown than the responders want to admit. a provincial little town where "there are problems, but not where i live" though everyone still seems to know a biker or a junkie willing to give sexual favors and everyone feels comfortable discussing such in public. that should be more than enough for OP to know not to move here unless she is truly desperate.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
ah the bickering, and the chit-chat trying to rationalize away crime. this is getting closer to the true youngstown than the responders want to admit. a provincial little town where "there are problems, but not where i live" though everyone still seems to know a biker or a junkie willing to give sexual favors and everyone feels comfortable discussing such in public. that should be more than enough for OP to know not to move here unless she is truly desperate.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 AM

all this bickering is just making youngstown look bad. anyway, here is the biker quote. fyi, https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...otorcycle_Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
You know that my brother lives within walking distance to your "safe" West side house. He was robbed again two days ago . . . It's pretty sad that when somebody who rides with the Pagans has to abandon his house because it isn't safe to live there any longer.
this is the quote about knowing a junkie that gives sexual favors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
In Cortland's case I believe the person responsible for the breakins is a kid that graduated w/my brother. This is the same kid that was doing sexual favors for money at a local state park (to buy drugs).

Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
all this bickering is just making youngstown look bad. anyway, here is the biker quote. fyi, https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...otorcycle_Club

this is the quote about knowing a junkie that gives sexual favors.
Hmm, everyone I know is on the up and up. So what's that say about living in the city vs. living in one of its suburbs?

I don't like the bickering. But I'm tired of people being told to avoid the city for no good reason. (or, for any reason that doesn't also apply to any other city, anyway)

Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 AM

just as i am weary of people not being provided an accurate picture of the multitude of difficulties that face youngstown.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
just as i am weary of people not being provided an accurate picture of the multitude of difficulties that face youngstown.
What you seem not to realize is that just about every place would require the same sort of "warning label."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton