Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 AM

6 posts, read 9,263 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I hope this isn't too much to ask, but my husband was offered a job in Akron. My nine year old is heavily in to musical theatre, so I would like to know the best children's musical theaters/dance schools, vocal coaches/agents for her, and my other daughter is a club basketball player and really into mock trial on the high school level. Both go to an incredible liberal arts college prep charter school,where participation and debate is highly encouraged, so would really like the most excellent schools rundown, and since we're moving across the country and won't know a soul, we want to meet a lot of really kind, good hearted people to be our friends, like we have here. And if the town has a town square, or a great community feel , where we can dive in and get involved, that would be so awesome!! Hubby will be working all the time, but as long as he's within 45-50 minutes of Akron, he's good. if any of you could help, it would be so greatly appreciated!! I'm criss posting with Cleveland because, got a very kind welcome from one of the members, but no answers as of yet and hubby has to get in his horse and leave very shortly. Thank you in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:19 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,371 times
Hudson comes to mind.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to Ohio View Post
Hi all! I hope this isn't too much to ask, but my husband was offered a job in Akron. My nine year old is heavily in to musical theatre, so I would like to know the best children's musical theaters/dance schools, vocal coaches/agents for her, and my other daughter is a club basketball player and really into mock trial on the high school level. Both go to an incredible liberal arts college prep charter school,where participation and debate is highly encouraged, so would really like the most excellent schools rundown, and since we're moving across the country and won't know a soul, we want to meet a lot of really kind, good hearted people to be our friends, like we have here. And if the town has a town square, or a great community feel , where we can dive in and get involved, that would be so awesome!! Hubby will be working all the time, but as long as he's within 45-50 minutes of Akron, he's good. if any of you could help, it would be so greatly appreciated!! I'm criss posting with Cleveland because, got a very kind welcome from one of the members, but no answers as of yet and hubby has to get in his horse and leave very shortly. Thank you in advance!!!
Jackson Township is about 30 minutes south of downtown Akron (w/traffic) and is home to Jackson High School, widely considered one of the best high schools in the region. JHS has a pretty good theatre program (not sure if it's what you're looking for, though), reasonable girls basketball programs (although the HS team itself is a little less than stellar) and one of the better mock trial teams in the state.
Mock Trial

Community feel might be a little less than exciting, as it's all suburban neighborhood (no downtown area to speak of), but it might be something to think about.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:45 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,819 times
You might considering living closer to Akron or in the city if that is your child's interest. If they are in 4th-8th grade Akron has an absolutely phenomenal performing arts middle school (Miller South) which also carries over into the performing arts program at Firestone HS (although Firestone isn't strictly a performing arts school; they also have International Baccalaureate program, an excellent Engineering program, etc.). On the plus side if you're more set on living in the suburbs or further out APS allows open enrollment, and also many of the suburban schools also have drama/theater/mock trial/debate programs available. They have a good chunk of suburban kids that open enroll to Miller South.

As someone who is somewhat familiar with the various local schools, I will tell you that absolutely no school in this area (Akron-Canton, not sure on Cleveland) can beat Miller South for performing arts programs at those grade levels, and also is rated Excellent by the state for general academics. It is audition only and applications start in December(or around there) so definitely something to think about. The only downside to Miller South is they haven't rebuilt that building yet (they have been on a major school building spree in Ohio) and the physical location isn't what I would consider choice. If you get out here beforehand I would highly suggest scheduling a visit.

If you're looking for something more generically suburban we do have a lot of excellent areas with great schools, several of which have been mentioned (Hudson, Jackson) although many lack a cohesive town center. Hudson does, as mentioned, but a lot of it is actually a lifestyle center-type of setup. North Canton, Green, Stow-Munroe Falls, Bath, Fairlawn, Tallmadge, etc etc all rank fairly well (schools, crime), although those by far aren't the only ones.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Wow, a lot to think about, thanks so much...does anyone know anything about chagrin falls or richfield?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, a lot to think about, thanks so much...does anyone know anything about chagrin falls or richfield?
Richfield is similar to a lot of the other suburban areas listed. Good schools, low crime, good access to I-77, not very diverse, car-centric. Chagrin Falls has more of a town dynamic so would fit the bill for "town center" and is similar to other suburbs with the good schools/low crime/low diversity aspect. The Cleveland forum should have more on it, like this post: Chagrin Falls

Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the info! Do you know anything about the children's musical theatre market at all?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Do you know anything about the children's musical theatre market at all?
Weathervane Theater in Merriman Valley in Akron is pretty well regarded for both adult and children's theater. Magical Theater in Barberton has put on excellent programs. Also Illusion Factory has various programs around. And of course Miller South which is school itself as I mentioned. I'm sure those are just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Oh this is awesome!! Thank you!!!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:26 AM

Default Narrowed down to Hudson and Jackson township

Ok, I've narrowed it down to Hudson and Jackson Township. Hudson is adorable, but the houses are super spendy and need a LOT of updating, and Jackson has absolutely beautiful homes, but doesnt't feel as cohesive. What am I missing?A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton