Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 AM

58 posts, read 190,154 times

Advertisements

aThere is a large PR population in Northeast Ohio, particularly in Cleveland, as well$ numerous smaller cities including Lorain, and Youngstown. But, I was wondering if Akron has a significant Puerto Rican population like these cities in NE Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM

211 posts, read 519,371 times
From what I've heard and researched, they don't have a substantial amount. Puerto Ricans in Ohio tend to be in the big cities or medium sized ones in North-West Ohio.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
To be honest, I'm not that sure. I spent a good deal of time in Akron's North Hill neighborhood and I noticed a lot Hispanics around there. I'm not sure what nationality they were. They could be PR. I know UA has a couple PR basketball players.

Otherwise I don't think there are very many large Hispanic populations in Akron comparable to elsewhere in Ohio(eg, Puerto Rican neighborhoods on Cleveland's west side or Mexicans in Painesville etc).

Old 09-14-2013, 11:28 PM

33 posts, read 186,907 times
From Cleveland to Akron
From Lorain to Youngstown
From Elyria to Campbell
From Painsville to Shaker Heights
When it comes to Hispanics, Puerto Ricans own Northeast Ohio, they are the area's largest Hispanic group by far.
Though, Akron doesnt have as much of a Puerto Rican population as Cleveland.
Cleveland has the highest percentage of PRs of any major city outside the eastcoast, and Lorain has the highest percentage of PRs of all cities outside the eastcoast.
But back on topic, the section of Akron I would say has a significant concentration of PRs, or Hispanics in general, would be East Akron. Ive actually lived there briefly and still have family in East Akron, so im very familar with Akron, and I know that part of town has the most notable Puerto Rican/Hispanic presence. But Hispanics are kinda sprinkled in small numbers in most of the city.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:18 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,709 times
Puerto Ricans are mostly West Side (Cleveland) as mentioned before. Akron's hispanic population is mostly Mexican with a sprinkling of miscellaneous Central/South American people. They are kind of spread out although there is somewhat of a concentration in North Hill. Overall though you're talking a four or five thousand people total, just a few percent of the city's population. Obvious suggestion, but stopping in one of the neighborhood stores and just asking would probably be the best route - Servi Express on Cuyahoga Falls Ave in North Hill, San Miguel on North Main in North Hill, or La Loma in Goodyear Heights all have some nice folks that run them that could probably point you in the right direction, although I'm sure many of the other stores could as well. Or you could hit up HOLA at UA also.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
To be honest, I'm not that sure. I spent a good deal of time in Akron's North Hill neighborhood and I noticed a lot Hispanics around there. I'm not sure what nationality they were. They could be PR. I know UA has a couple PR basketball players.

Otherwise I don't think there are very many large Hispanic populations in Akron comparable to elsewhere in Ohio(eg, Puerto Rican neighborhoods on Cleveland's west side or Mexicans in Painesville etc).
Akron's hispanic population doesn't hold a candle to the West Side or Lorain County, but in sheer numbers it is much larger than Painesville. It just appears that way because Painesville is about 1/10 the size of Akron.

Also I think a lot of the foot traffic in North Hill these days are actually Bhutanese refugees.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_unknown View Post
Central American? Youll rarely find a Central American in Ohio, most Hispanics are Puerto Rican or Mexican. Now IDK about Mexicans, but I personally know many Puerto Ricans in East Akron.
Didn't take a poll, can only tell you from my own experiences. Bottom line, Mexicans are going to be your biggest individual group of hispanics in Akron.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:49 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Akron's hispanic population doesn't hold a candle to the West Side or Lorain County, but in sheer numbers it is much larger than Painesville. It just appears that way because Painesville is about 1/10 the size of Akron.
Yeah, that's true. Also, the fact that Akron's hispanic population is more dispersed throughout the area might also explain why it has less of a "presence" than in a place like Painesville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Also I think a lot of the foot traffic in North Hill these days are actually Bhutanese refugees.
Perhaps. Bhutanese are the last nationality I would have guessed!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
I drive through North Hill everyday on my way to work. I notice it's very diverse with different nationailities. Anyone know why North Hill became the area for these people to go to? Pretty cool regardless, but is there a certain reason they all gathered in North Hill?

And KSU Sucks, you moved to NC? I haven't seen your posts in a while and I didn't know you moved.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I drive through North Hill everyday on my way to work. I notice it's very diverse with different nationailities. Anyone know why North Hill became the area for these people to go to? Pretty cool regardless, but is there a certain reason they all gathered in North Hill?

And KSU Sucks, you moved to NC? I haven't seen your posts in a while and I didn't know you moved.
A big part of it is the International Institute on Tallmadge Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton