Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,747 times

Advertisements

I am from upstate NY and liberal and am a teacher. I am wonderng if someone or several people could paint a picture of Tuscaloosa. i am concerned about the education and the fact that I am not form the South. I am wondering about things like children's museums, science centers and programs that are free for families or children. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

763 posts, read 3,835,006 times
Due to the fact that the University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, you will find plenty of diversity of thought there. It is a campus with 25,000 students and a diverse faculty from across the country. I doubt you are going to find being a liberal will cause you to be a pariah....

Tuscaloosa County's population is about 180,000 people. Much of the cultural activity in the county is driven by the University, which has an excellent School of Music etc.

The Tuscaloosa Arts Council is the main driving force....

home (http://www.tuscarts.org/home.html - broken link)

One of the finest private museums in the world is located in Tuscaloosa...if you are looking for a science museum, you will need to drive 55 miles to Birmingham to the McWane Center. McWane Science Center: Science Museum, Aquarium and IMAX Dome Theater in Birmingham Alabama

Now to schools....honestly to get a good prep level education, I am going to recommend private schools. The public schools there are improving but are not as good as in other areas of the state. While many new high schools have been built and therefore the physical facilities are excellent, the test scores of graduates need to improve....

Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
I know several northeastern transplants who have lived here and are active in the community.

Like most places, test scores and so forth in the schools are largely along economic lines. No matter how nice the school facilities, students from poor, uneducated households tend to score lower on average. That said, there is tremendous reward in seeing people from such backgrounds "break through" and succeed. There are also some truly outstanding students who come through our supposedly mediocre schools who go on to the pinnacle of success in a variety of fields. A student who applies himself can succeed here or anywhere else. For instance, one of my relatives from a "bad public school" in rural west Alabama went on to earn a PhD from Harvard .

Anyway, a lot of the free family-related activities are church-based. Practically all the major churches have gymnasiums that basically fill the role of civic centers and other government functions in cities in other regions. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the church is heavily involved in everyday secular activities of the community to a degree that it might not be in other regions.

For the most part, you'll want to go to Birmingham for large museums (and Birmingham's are indeed very nice - things like McWane Science Center, Vulcan Park, zoo, botanical gardens, and art museum are "can't miss"), but
I would also suggest visiting the rural areas south of Tuscaloosa, like Eutaw, Greensboro, Demopolis, Marion, and Selma. Although the poverty and isolation might be a bit off-putting, there is a wealth of history that could fill a many "real" museums. There are huge, beautiful old mansions in various states of disrepair in seemingly the middle of nowhere.

The best free family amenity in Tuscaloosa is the great outdoors - rivers, lakes, trees, and parks.
I expect you'll also enjoy the amenities available for weekend trips to places like Chattanooga, New Orleans, Gulf Shores, and Atlanta. Birmingham is surprisingly attractive, and its "Southside" area definitely has a lot of northern transplants, liberals, etc.

An area you might like in Tuscaloosa is the group of "historic districts" along Queen City Avenue, between the university campus and downtown. This is probably the most "walkable" area of town, very convenient to everything, and people living there have the wide range of views you'd expect from a university-related neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 PM

116 posts, read 524,615 times
I can't believe that when she asked about museums, none of you mentioned the Bryant Museum, cultural Mecca of Alabama.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MullinsCurve View Post
I can't believe that when she asked about museums, none of you mentioned the Bryant Museum, cultural Mecca of Alabama.
Now, now - be niiice!
This is serious (no smart remarks please) - what is a liberal and what is the deal with liberal combined with art teacher? Having no little people sometimes puts a blank into my US education. OK, I missed out on 60s and 70s and 80s TV shows as well! Big loss?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

51 posts, read 214,493 times
It has been mentioned already but I just want to second the recommendation for the Bham zoo -- I don't remember what the admission fee is.
For science and education I think your children will really like it. I love to go there and I'm real old.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Oh yes-- You didn't say how old the children are but the Civil Rights museum in Bham is also definitely worth the visit.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Sorry for another message but I thought of something else. It's a little bit of a drive but the Shakespeare theater might be something they'd enjoy too. I don't remember the admission but I know my children really enjoyed going there when their school had field trips. (I'm not all that old really)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama