Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 36,051 times

Advertisements

Mspiggy, you are correct. I don't know your circumstances or what has led you to such a bitter opinion of the city in which you live. But, I hope your circumstances improve and that you find happiness in Tuscaloosa or somewhere else. Everyone deserves to be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:45 AM

10 posts, read 55,307 times
Tourian,

If I listed out each and every event, all of the research, everything that's happened currently and historically that makes me give this town my very negative characterization, then I would be here all day. If you've done your own research, and all you see is a few corrupt school board members and you simply perceive the hospital as being below average, then, no we aren't going to agree about my characterization, and you can confirm whatever thoughts you want about me. I can't control that, no more than you can control my negative views of Tuscaloosa. I just shared my experiences and what I see. Look around on here, and there is a poster who only stopped at a hotel for a night and found it "creepy". To me, it's a cesspool for psychopaths in education, government, and healthcare who are in power.

If the original poster loves it here, that will be great! If they run into problems, then at least they were warned,and maybe will know to go to Birmingham for medical care if needed.

Tourian, you are right that corruption and negative things happen anywhere. There are those of us who think it's overabundant here compared to some other places. It could be worse somewhere else. IDK and always said that from the start despite my negative views.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Tider,

Thank you. I honestly wish that I didn't feel this way about T-town. I was actually starting to feel better about living here and bad circumstances happened again. I've had a ton of patience and been told frequently that most people would have left here a long time ago if the same things happened to them. I hope they won't happen somewhere else, but I know they could given my life circumstances. I have honestly tried to be happy here and focus on what's going on with me inside. When the first bad things happened here, I did blame myself automatically, then I found others who had the same experiences. I am not alone in my negative experiences concerning certain institutions and people here. I just wanted to give a bit of a warning if it will be helpful. That's all. I admit my opinion is bitter.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.piggy View Post
To me, it's a cesspool for psychopaths in education, government, and healthcare who are in power.
Okay, you have now qualified the cesspool and pointed it in a very specific group of people. I read it the first time as the entire city and all its residents, which I think you realized as well which is why the statement has now changed. I don't think that's a very honest way to conduct oneself in a discussion, but hey you got me. I would honestly think any reasonable person would be sympathetic to someone who has been abused by someone in power in regards to government and education - but I still wouldn't paint a broad brush across an entire population.

As far as healthcare, I have heard it referred to as "Don't Come Here" But Birmingham is only 45mins away. I'd hate to have to think all clinics and all doctors down there are incompetent and don't think that is possible, but I don't take light that the hospital has a bad rep.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM

No, I didn't mean everyone here by any means, and I should have been more careful from the star when I used that phrase. I have used the phrase before talking in person to people here when we are talking about people in power that are corrupt. I could see the offense if you all thought I was talking about everyone that lives in Tuscaloosa but me. That made it look like I was trolling. There are good people here, and it is sad that I've sometimes witnessed their mistreatment by corrupt people in power. It does see like a larger scale here to me.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM

I most certainly wasn't trying to trick you Tourian! It was just poor communication on my part. You can find a good doctor or a compassionate nurse, but it's an exception here. We found a nurse practitioner at an urgent care center which is unusual to use for primary care, but if you find someone good here, you hang on to them. You do have to be careful. There are frequent referrals to Birmingham by doctors here because many of them know what it's like here so...Usually the medical profession is very careful about criticizing it's own, but the good doctors that are here often will admit that it's bad here and refer!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 36,051 times
In defense of DCH Regional Medical Center: My wife had elective surgery there a couple of years ago and our experience could not have been better. So, I choose to believe my own experience (and that of my wife) before I form an opinion from the abundance of good reports and the few negative reports I have heard. I find first-hand knowledge more accurate than hear-say. And that's enough said. Truly, I wish Ms.piggy the best in life -- in Tuscaloosa or somewhere else.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM

That's good. At the same time, I know a daughter who lost her father to elective hemoroid surgery, an aunt that lost her newborn nephew because a doctor at DCH refused to examine the newborn when something was wrong...only two of many examples. I, with my personality, on the other hand listen to warnings from others now...I admit before my negative experiences here, I brushed off the negativity. There are more than just a few negative stories that warrant the bad reputation of DCH, but if it worked out for your wife, that's wonderful! It would be nice if things could really change here. We're talking about life and well being here. I wish you the best too, and I'll refrain from commenting anymore.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 AM

8 posts, read 13,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrielmoraes23 View Post
Maybe I'll get a job transfer proposal, and I have to move there.
I know it's a college town, home of the University of Aabama. But for living, it's a nice place overall (jobs, education, cost of living, amenities, etc)? And also I noticed that Alabama have some high crime rates, but about Tuscaloosa particularly, how safe or dangerous is it?

Thanks!
I'm not much of a football fan, so I'm not really used to having so much "pride" about UA as others in T-Town, but I like living here. I'll give you some details on what to like and what to do and somethings on what not to do. 1st and foremost, go to the University of Alabama and see everything. It is a beautiful campus with plenty of stuff to do. They're currently going under a lot of redevelopment on campus and are making more attractable to see. You'll see along Jack Warner Pkwy that the new rowing facility is being built. As you enter the university, you'll see new dorms built, a new fresh food company building, the Ferguson being renovated, as well as many others.

As far as Tuscaloosa, I somewhat agree with Piggy about the fringe areas, but his/her post came off a little over dramatic on certain things and kind of seems bias towards a certain college. Yes, people here love their sports, and you'll end up seeing the pride on Thursdays-Sundays when you encounter the god awful traffic. But on the good side of things, this is one thing I love about T-Town because you get to see because your community gets up for sports and its as if the whole county is throwing one big party.

As far as fringe areas, yeah, stay out of Alberta City and Southside. Don't travel there for anything. But that's really the only places i have trouble. You'll see some bad areas, but as long as you mind your own business, you're fine. But there are some great places in Tuscaloosa. If you're into shopping, McFarland Blvd is where you go. Has the University Mall and then Midtown Village is right across from it. You can still see the path of the tornado there, but it will quickly get covered up as new retail stores are being brought in. ONe thing I'm liking about T-Town is the redevelopment going on around the city. Old McFarland Mall is now being torn down and 5-6 new retail stores are going to be put there. A lot of people are pushing for a Dave-n-Busters. Downtown has a lot to do. T-Towns night life is great, but be sure you remember that Thursday is the new Friday. For odd reasons, everywhere is packed out and partying on Thursday now and the bars are active.

If you're not into shopping, there's plenty of outdoor activities for you. Hiking trails, UA just built a new outdoor recreational building, beautiful parks, disc golf, good golfing courses, and music festivals at the t-town amphitheater and bars.

If you do have complaints, the city council is always open for criticism. Try and go to a meeting and express what you feel needs to be done.

I can't speak for all, but I really do like Tuscaloosa. Most people I've met love it here. The only people who end up hating it are fans are other colleges.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 13,766 times
As far as schools, there are improvements coming across, the one good high school I know of that I like is Tuscaloosa County High. The others are..."run down"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama