Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM

12 posts, read 37,078 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to move between Birmingham and Montgomery fairly soon. We would prefer to find a little land just off the beaten path where she could drive easily to either city (she will be working in the VA hospital in one or the other).

If you know of such properties please, let me know. If you know of a Realtor who might be able to help with this ask them to come here or to our website at Tree of Life Ministries Association - Home and to contact me, please.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM

763 posts, read 3,838,496 times
The right spot for you is the town of Clanton. It is halfway between the two and a nice town.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi,

I was just looking at that and Montevallo today. I even took an online look at the newspaper classifieds for real estate.

That will give me a starting place to build from.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
I think Montevallo would be a better town. It's a college town and very attractive.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 AM

Hi,

Thanks.
Everything that I have looked at online seems to be way over-priced in the entire area but that may simply be because I am currently living in a town in the middle of farm land. From what I see it will probably mean that we will not actually be living in any town. Where we pay about $1000 an acre they pay anywhere from $2400 to 6000.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semachiah View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
Everything that I have looked at online seems to be way over-priced in the entire area but that may simply be because I am currently living in a town in the middle of farm land. From what I see it will probably mean that we will not actually be living in any town. Where we pay about $1000 an acre they pay anywhere from $2400 to 6000.
You are correct....even though Montevallo is located 35 miles from Birmingham, it is still definitely a part of an urban area, therefore land prices are going to be higher.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM

136 posts, read 596,742 times
How many acres are you looking for? Also do you want just land or with a home? This is a start.

You may want to look at Jemison, Clanton, and Calera

Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustygulas View Post
How many acres are you looking for? Also do you want just land or with a home? This is a start.

You may want to look at Jemison, Clanton, and Calera
Hi,

Originally I was looking for nothing less than 20 acres but I would be willing to go as low as 5. I really am not looking to be in a town at all just near one. As for land or w/a home, there I have some flexibility. My wife would like us to put our own on it but.... It is possible that if there is a house already there we would use that until either I could alter it to meet my desires or we built another house later and kept the original as a guest house. A commercial building on the property might be usable even though the property will not be used for any commercial purpose. The advantage to a commercial style of building is that the inside can easily be changed to what I want. A small horse barn (looks a bit like a range style of home) may fit this desire as well. It does not need to be flat land or tillable either.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 PM

I would emphasize, Clanton, Jemison and Calera as previously mentioned.

An advantage of these areas is they are growing, therefore your investment should be a good one...it is going to be challenging (but not impossible) to find pure, isolated countryside....because from the southern edge of Birmingham to the northern edge of Montgomery is only about 65 miles now....about 100 miles from city center to city center....so you have a metro of 1.1 million to the north and one of about 350k to the south....

My belief is that you are going to have to go 15 miles east or west of I-65 in the Clanton or Calera area to get into cheaper land prices....away from the interstate where each interchange is steadily developing with light retail.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM

Shalom,

Thanks, that poses no problem. I like the back roads of America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama