Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 13,103 times

Advertisements

I am an older single Italian/Latin US Army Veteran woman looking to retire in Alabama and wondering which county would be best.

I am looking to purchase a home and wanting to stay under $60k if possible and still be in a decent part of town. I can go up in my budget if I have to but would like to live beneath my means, but willing to spend more to be in a better part of town. I need a VA health clinic or hospital in the general area. Descent transportation as I don't want to drive anymore and plan a taking buses and Ubers.

I spent some time in southern Alabama in my youth and never had an issue with anybody. Everyone was always friendly. I'm hoping it's still the same.

I do enjoy warmer weather and miss humidity. I don't mind a sleepier town, but do enjoy having some things to do. I really don't like city noise and prefer the suburbs or country outskirts.

Which county and city do you recommend and which side of town?

Any input is helpful, especially stay away from these areas.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:17 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
Here is a list of VA locations:

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/f...=All&isflash=0

Taking buses is a bad plan in most of Alabama. Finding buses and living in country outskirts is probably unrealistic.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
be honest, biloxi ms, small sleepy town, big va hosp, a great bus system

Old 02-21-2018, 04:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Anything you find under $60k will likely be in a small town, where public transportation is nonexistent.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Here is a list of VA locations:

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/f...=All&isflash=0

Taking buses is a bad plan in most of Alabama. Finding buses and living in country outskirts is probably unrealistic.
Thanks for the 411 on the country outskirts and no buses. I guess it's the suburbs for me. Also thanks for the VA list

Old 02-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Anything you find under $60k will likely be in a small town, where public transportation is nonexistent.

Thanks, I may be driving longer than I thought.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
be honest, biloxi ms, small sleepy town, big va hosp, a great bus system

I'll check it out but doesn't look like a good property tax exemption for seniors like Alabama.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:24 PM

The problem will be that the VA clinics in south Alabama are all down near the coast, the one in Pensacola is down near NAS now (there used to be one on the north side of Pensacola but they closed it). With your budget you are going to need to be well inland, everything gets expensive the closer you get to the coast, including insurance.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The problem will be that the VA clinics in south Alabama are all down near the coast, the one in Pensacola is down near NAS now (there used to be one on the north side of Pensacola but they closed it). With your budget you are going to need to be well inland, everything gets expensive the closer you get to the coast, including insurance.
Good to know. I actually prefer inland to the coast. Thanks, knowing this helps.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:50 PM

I’ll suggest looking into Bay Minette, it’s about an hour to NAS Pensacola, but it’s a pretty easy drive. If you make a monthly trip to Pensacola, you can stock up on tax free groceries, all while enjoying the lower property taxes of Alabama.

And if it gets to that point, there is a VA retirement home there as well (William F Green).
http://hmrveteranservices.com/locations/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama