Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:16 AM

656 posts, read 594,569 times

Advertisements

There has been some engaging exchanges on this thread.
I would like to pull on a particular thread and that being the governing body of our state has lifted the mandate to wear a mask at the end of this day; April 9.

So each of us will have a decision to make on our own continuance to wear a mask for either our own safety or for the safety of others.

As previously mentioned, my fear is the ensuing chaos due to the governing authority is allowing businesses and organizations to establish their own rules & requirements for wearing a mask in their business or in or on their property.

If you believe masking should be continued then will you still frequent the businesses and organizations that are not requiring a mask or will you seek other likekind places that require a mask?

If you believe masking should not be continued then will you frequent businesses or organizations that require masks or will you seek other likekind places not requiring a mask?

I've asked a few local businesses (2 owners & 1 manager) what they will do post-April 9. One owner said he will not require masks unless the governor enacts the mandate again. The other two were uncertain. The coming weeks and months should create some interesting dynamics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 AM

13,682 posts, read 7,996,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
If you believe masking should not be continued then will you frequent businesses or organizations that require masks or will you seek other likekind places not requiring a mask?
It's absolutely critical that we support businesses that don't require masks, and refuse to support businesses that require masks.

The only way that this insanity will end is by mass resistance, mandate or not.

I've never worn a mask, and have only been denied service once - that was at the Men's Wearhouse in Spanish Fort, which I might add will never get a dime from me. I complained to corporate, and corporate told me that if I don't mask, then they don't want my money. Fine by me.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:38 AM

957 posts, read 747,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Is it, now? Seems to me that people dying from something that could have likely been prevented given the proper mask wearing and distancing is an emergency. Hell, Alabama basketball super fan Luke Ratliff (Fluffapotamous) died after contracting it watching Bama in Indy. He would likely be alive had he either stayed at home, or been more careful (or those around him had been more careful).

Wearing a mask is such a SIMPLE thing to do, that I just don't understand everyone's reluctance. You are literally willing to kill my grandparents just to not be inconvenienced for a few minutes in a store.... It is pathetically childish and selfish. Even if they are only 1% effective, that is 1% less (per person) chance of catching it or spreading it. Why is that so hard for the ignorant people of the US? You call other people idiots, while not even caring if you spread this to someone who later dies, all because you didn't want to wear a mask. Freedom and all, you know.... How friggin pathetic.
Hahahaha

Old 04-09-2021, 09:19 AM

458 posts, read 618,417 times
I imagine most businesses won't require masks anymore. If I ran a business I wouldn't require one. Too much hassle dealing with everyone who thinks they are the reincarnated Rosa Parks.

We also have to remember the federal order to wear masks is still in effect. This mainly affects workers on the military installations in the state but technically also applies to other federal sites (courthouse, post office, etc.).

Old 04-09-2021, 10:06 AM

32,967 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
This, coming from a Christian fundamentalist? That's rich....
Cue Norman Greenbaum. He knows where he's going to end up and isn't afraid to die. Conversely, my fundamentalist Christian sister is wearing her mask and doing her best to not get too close to anyone. She'd be devastated if she thought that she had caused someone to become ill.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:09 AM

32,967 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
The vaccine is only effective for 8 to 10 months

Link please. Absolutely no official info says this.
I read that somewhere a while back. I don't remember where.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:58 PM

656 posts, read 594,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post
I imagine most businesses won't require masks anymore. If I ran a business I wouldn't require one. Too much hassle dealing with everyone who thinks they are the reincarnated Rosa Parks.

We also have to remember the federal order to wear masks is still in effect. This mainly affects workers on the military installations in the state but technically also applies to other federal sites (courthouse, post office, etc.).
Good point with respect to federal versus state.

I know one "organization" on Redstone is going to go 50% strength by the end of April and almost full strength by the end of June. It is true; I can be standing outside in the middle of a practically empty parking lot, with nobody in even 600 feet near me, and by federal mandate have to wear a mask.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:50 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,410,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
There has been some engaging exchanges on this thread.
I would like to pull on a particular thread and that being the governing body of our state has lifted the mandate to wear a mask at the end of this day; April 9.

So each of us will have a decision to make on our own continuance to wear a mask for either our own safety or for the safety of others.

As previously mentioned, my fear is the ensuing chaos due to the governing authority is allowing businesses and organizations to establish their own rules & requirements for wearing a mask in their business or in or on their property.

If you believe masking should be continued then will you still frequent the businesses and organizations that are not requiring a mask or will you seek other likekind places that require a mask?

I've asked a few local businesses (2 owners & 1 manager) what they will do post-April 9. One owner said he will not require masks unless the governor enacts the mandate again. The other two were uncertain. The coming weeks and months should create some interesting dynamics.
I will continue to wear a mask until I hear otherwise from the scientists and medical experts at the CDC. Because I do not want to take the chance of infecting others, I will not frequent businesses that do not encourage their customers to wear masks. I feel morally obligated to do what I can to help protect my fellow human beings.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's absolutely critical that we support businesses that don't require masks, and refuse to support businesses that require masks.

The only way that this insanity will end is by mass resistance, mandate or not.

I've never worn a mask, and have only been denied service once - that was at the Men's Wearhouse in Spanish Fort, which I might add will never get a dime from me. I complained to corporate, and corporate told me that if I don't mask, then they don't want my money. Fine by me.
So, you don't feel an obligation not to endanger others?

Old 04-09-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatTails View Post

What in tarnation does Rosa Parks have to do with this infectious and deadly disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama