Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 PM

16 posts, read 61,871 times

Advertisements

I would like to know anything about Geneva like the winter temps,snow,places to shop,crime etc. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 06:42 PM

31 posts, read 296,895 times
We live just outside of Geneva. The weather in the winter is mild. You may hit freezing a handful of times all season. I think it snows once a decade... maybe. Summers will be hot and humid. It is a smaller town, but if you don't mind the drive, you can get to Florida or Georgia very quickly. You will also have some larger towns (Enterprise and Dothan to name two) that are fairly close. Dothan is the larger of the two and has most creature comforts. As I mentioned, Florida is close by so if you like the beaches, you can get down to Panama City or Destin in just a couple hours. Not sure about crime, but I would suspect it isn't very high.

Here is the website for the Chamber of Commerce: genevaalabama.com

Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 7,407 times
Thumbs down Geneva Al

Hi I am retired from the north
I just moved to Geneva al a few years ago. Although I was looking for a community like Chipley Fl or Bonifay fl. I settled not knowing Geneva. Let me tell you about this Part of America. a Dry county No beer sales a place controlled by the churches, not the masses. Rich own the liquor stores at the state line. Rich own the Politicians as well as the probate judge and commisioners . I thought this went out in the 30's
Most of the state and county jobs of this alabama town is given to people coming in from another people living in Florida.

Geneva is a County seat this is the link to all information reguarding the cityhttp://www.city-data.com/city/Geneva-Alabama.html Now for the truth
This does not tell you that the county is controlled by a few Good old Boys
High in Drug trafficing/ High Sales Tax 8%/ I have found allot of people here are nice but the peple in the court house are rude/ Probate judges office is terrible/ please don't bother us type/ if your from the north the war still goes on here/ I found that when I moved here it was like stepping into a time machine . I was transported into the 50/60's there is no entertainment here. Just a higher gas prices compare to other local comunities. Sure we have Enterprise 20 miles north Dothan 35 miles east Defuniak Springs Fl 35 miles south. But here you have a comunity that doesn't want to grow and is controlled by a few rich people. Here they have nothing for the kids to do but go accross the state line and buy beer and drink and do drugs. To me, this is still a stop over for my trip to a better community and friendlier people.

PS Thursday afternoon banks and most shops closes shop and goes home

Visit before you move I rank this town on a scale of 1-10
a 3

Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,007 times
I have lived here for 35 yrs and think that it is a wonderful place to be so if you do not like it then please leave.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 AM

3 posts, read 29,265 times
Default geneva alabama

i'm thinking about moving to Geneva, Alabama. First of all, I don't use alcohol so that part won't bother me. I like the idea of having rivers all around.

Very close to Florida, small town. What more could you want?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowwalkers View Post
...I settled not knowing Geneva....A Dry county No beer sales a place controlled by the churches, not the masses. Rich own the liquor stores at the state line. Rich own the Politicians as well as the probate judge and commisioners . I thought this went out in the 30's
Most of the state and county jobs of this alabama town is given to people coming in from another people living in Florida...Now for the truth
This does not tell you that the county is controlled by a few Good old Boys
High in Drug trafficing/ High Sales Tax 8%. I have found allot of people here are nice but the peple in the court house are rude/ Probate judges office is terrible/ please don't bother us type/ if your from the north the war still goes on here/ I found that when I moved here it was like stepping into a time machine . I was transported into the 50/60's there is no entertainment here. ...Here they have nothing for the kids to do but go across the state line and buy beer and drink and do drugs...
Is there a valid reason for why you did not visit before you moved there? If you had done some research, you'd find beer sales are controlled by the state...in Alabama liquor stores are owned by the state, not rich people...dry counties are abundant in Alabama...8% sales tax is NOT the highest in Alabama (nor anywhere else for that matter)...courthouse people who are rude are often that way because people are rude to them...yes the Civil War is visible because this is where it was fought..."nothing to do but buy beer and do drugs" - when was it required that small towns provide constant entertainment?
Sorry, but people who move somewhere without doing ANY research shouldn't complain.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,189 times
I think you will find that in many small towns in the United States, the local economy is not exactly hopping. This is especially true if you are in a small town that is not close to a metro area, where residents can commute to jobs in a nearby city. We see many, many posters on this board who are seeking small town living while commuting to urban jobs. Many small towns in North Alabama within a 40 mile radius of Huntsville and Birmingham are growing because of "commuters" who want a small town living environment and are willing to drive into the city to work.

Example: when the Hyundai plant opened in Montgomery, for the first time in decades, small towns south of Montgomery were able to get supplier plants to locate there, generating significant new jobs for the first time in generations. The last time I drove down 331, I saw several of these firms and you could tell that it had impacted the town very postively. Crenshaw County (Luverne) is an example.

I think this is the case all over the country, as the growth of remote small towns is low. In the absence of new, large employers, there's no 'economic engine' to drive substantial growth. This is simple economics and I think it is not exclusive to Alabama by any means.

Yes, Alabama (unfortunately) is a state where alcohol sales are state-controlled. And while I hate this fact, there are quite a few states that still do it that way. I was in the tony suburbs of Washington DC in Reston Virginia recently and wanted to buy a small bottle of liquor. I was pointed to a 'state store' just like we have here. Arcane yes....but certainly not controlled by anyone who is 'rich'.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:22 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
The alcohol issue is controlled by the residents in a way. Here in Arab, we are in a dry county and Arab is a dry town, but you can drive to Guntersvlle (in the same county) and buy alcohol because they voted it in. Arab voted to go 'wet' and it lost by 16 votes
There is no movie theater here either but I like the town and I just drive to Guntersville (10 miles away)and buy my booze.
You really need to list what is important to you before you decide on a place to live and find a place that you can live with.
Sales tax is high but property tax is low compared to other states. There is good and bad about everyplace.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-05-2007 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,139 times
Geneva is one of the dirtiest places I've ever seen. people have trash piled up in their front yards. Trailers with 10 cars parked outside. Piles of garbage . Dogs running loose and chasing cars. I've never seen anything like it in my life. I moved here from a large city and the ghetto's in the city look like palaces compared to Geneva Alabama.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Is there a valid reason for why you did not visit before you moved there? If you had done some research, you'd find beer sales are controlled by the state...in Alabama liquor stores are owned by the state, not rich people...dry counties are abundant in Alabama...8% sales tax is NOT the highest in Alabama (nor anywhere else for that matter)...courthouse people who are rude are often that way because people are rude to them...yes the Civil War is visible because this is where it was fought..."nothing to do but buy beer and do drugs" - when was it required that small towns provide constant entertainment?
Sorry, but people who move somewhere without doing ANY research shouldn't complain.
I think you missed this persons point and apparently do not know about Geneva? What they were saying is that it is a dry county, and the liquor stores that are about 5 miles outside the city across the Florida State Line are owned by the rich good ol' boys. That is a true statement.

As far as Geneva overall, it is true there isn't very much to do there and not a lot going on, but there have to be small quaint little towns somewhere in America, and this is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama