Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 15,049 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot for your help, I talked to the company that we owe the car too today and they told me I need a permit to take the car to Texas??? is that true?? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 15,049 times
Out of Alaska

If you reread the post, this person has only been in AK for 4 mos and belongings are still in Texas. AND if you reread the post, Lulena is looking for assistance in the logistics and planning of this endeavor, not opinions on TX.

Anybody have assistance for Lulena on any of this?

Best of luck! Sounds like an adventure!!

Thank you

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulena View Post
Thanks a lot for your help, I talked to the company that we owe the car too today and they told me I need a permit to take the car to Texas??? is that true?? Thank you
Ok help me out here...your buying a car here in AK...but you want to take it to Texas? But the dealership says you need a permit to do that? Did they say where to get one, or what kind of permit? I've never heard of this but it may be true. Unless they are trying to sell you a permit. Then there may be reason to investigate a little further. I would think with a registration and insurance you should have no trouble getting into and out of Canada.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,009 times
I remember talking with my car insurance company, about making the drive with my truck - they said I needed an extra provincial "permit" - simply stating that while the truck was not completely paid off, (althought I am on the title, the lien-holder at the moment only) I needed a paper certifying that they were aware that I was driving it out of the United States, and that it was permissable.

Perhaps this is what they talk about with yours? Either way - it's not something you buy - it's just a certified notarized letter that whoever you are paying your car through sends to you, to add to your "important stuff" papers when you travel. *shrug*

Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,391 times
why not just get in your car and go and say @#@# all that, what would happen. Are they going to follow you. Sounds like your being sold something.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
Well if it's a free thing I'd get it. You never know. I've never had trouble at the border...but it would be a drag to drive all the way there...only to have to turn around for a peice of paper.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
I'm with Geico, I got a little card stating that I have the minimum amount of insurance needed for Canadians. You can log into their website or stop by one of their stores in Anchorage and get one of these cards.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 PM

201 posts, read 822,979 times
Lulena- it is customary to get a statement from our vehicle leinholder when moving out of the continental US and back into (because you don't have a title to show). We had to do this when we moved to Hawaii. It's free and just takes a phone call.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:51 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,841 times
LuLena we drove our truck out and back this April with a lien holder on the registration, nobody questioned it or ask for additional documentation. Years ago I purchased a car in California, I contacted the dealership to let them know that I was moving to Alaska and they told me I couldn't leave the state, it's a ploy for them to intimidate you and keep you close by in the event you default on the debt they won't have to send a processor down to TX.

I never needed a permit or anything to transfer either vehicle through the bordes and that was this year, last year and 26 years ago.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:06 PM

395 posts, read 1,716,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well if it's a free thing I'd get it. You never know. I've never had trouble at the border...but it would be a drag to drive all the way there...only to have to turn around for a peice of paper.
Something don't smell right. When U are at the border, the guard ask the usual ?s, like, Where are U going?, where is your home? Where did U come from? Any firearm? Large amount of cash? Have any certain food stuff from Canada?(beef, fish from NFL etc) If U are the registered owner, U ARE the the owner. It not the business of the guard to ask who you owe money to or your insurance Co or if U have insurance. Only the state or local authority of that state you are passing thru or stopping at can ask those questions and only if the police stop U. The exception, of course, is they suspect something is wrong. Then, it is questions galore where they try to trip u up. So, yes, sometime they do ask, "do U own this vehicle?" and U are the registered owner, the answer is a simple YES. No other explanation is need or should be offered. The person(s) is not leaving the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska