Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 PM

159 posts, read 442,938 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any stories of being stuck or stranded with your vehicle? Or helping people that were stuck/stranded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 07:41 PM

886 posts, read 5,716,872 times
Sure what kind would you like to here?

I am sure there is a member on here who has some about picking people up in a UFO around Point Hope!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Yes, why do you need to know this information?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 PM

868 posts, read 1,427,564 times
It struck me as kind of a "story-telling on long cold nights" kind of question.

Is that bad?

I don't have any of my own to share, the only place my car has been stuck is in my own driveway.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Ran a wrecker for awhile, got all sorts of scary stories... got a lot of moose driving the cars after jumping into the front windshield because they can't open doors without a thumb...

Somehow, to me that don't really "trick the trigger", unless of course you are looking for clients!

How about snow snakes attacking people that don't wear proper winter footwear in the snow.... AKA "Snowshoes"

Seriously though, anyone that has lived in Alaska for any length of time has those stories, if not, they never got out of the town they lived in.

When the temps are in the sub zero range, I always stop to make sure they are OK when along side of the road, now days, it's mostly making cell phone calls, so no big deal.

Sadly, most people driving away from home don't put Arctic Survival gear in their car/truck, and if they break down with their family in the vehicle, they stand a good chance to be in grave danger from their stupidity. You have some really lonely roads in Interior Alaska and some really nasty weather systems as well.

Up to the mid 1960's, the State use to have emergency shelters all along the Richardson Highway every few miles, had a stove, wood and emergency rations. Then people started to vandalize them and they shut them down and removed them... Last one I saw was on Eagle Summit if I recall correctly, may even still be there.

Anyway, the best protection is to be driving in a dependable car, proper seasonal tires, good lights, a flashlight and have the proper gear to wear... and the most important, drive slower in the winter, many people think they can do the speed limit and more because they have a four wheel drive car/truck... 4 x 0 is the same as 2 x 0 when you need to stop quickly...

BTW, in the summer that means bug dope and a can (or two) of Raid Yard Guard! If you ever have to change a tire on a warm day with no wind in the middle of nowhere, you will always remember the tens of thousands of Mosquito's that want to be your new best friend! I'm just saying......

Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Just pushed a guy out of the ditch tonight. I carry a little shovel in the back of my pt cruiser. Shoveled all the snow and pushed and out he came. I think he was talking on his cell phone or something. He went in the ditch in a strange location.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Just pushed a guy out of the ditch tonight. I carry a little shovel in the back of my pt cruiser. Shoveled all the snow and pushed and out he came. I think he was talking on his cell phone or something. He went in the ditch in a strange location.
I also carry a small shovel in my trunk. I have not stopped to help anyone this winter thus far, but I have in the past. Sometimes they are just high centered and cannot get traction. If they are not stuck too badly we can sometimes work them free. Most of the time it is like starlite9 said, they have their cell phones and they have already called for help.

I will stop if I see anyone stuck or has their flashers on by the side of the road in a remote location (not on the Glenn Highway between Anchorage and Palmer/Wasilla) during the winter, just to make sure they are okay. There are more than enough Troopers on the Glenn Highway between Anchorage and Palmer/Wasilla, they do not need my assistance.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM

One thing I didn't mention and forgot to. If I stop and someone in the ditch is drunk, I leave them there and I calll the Troopers to come save them with a warm room and three Squares a day. Have though taken the other passengers that weren't drinking to a safe place.

Have no use for people that drive drunk on the road, they kill too many people and the safest place for them is in the ditch or jail. Even at sub zero temps, i have zero sympathy for them, if they hit a family in that cold, an ablulance may take hours to arrive and free them with possible frostbite to a family that didn't do anything wrong. Could care less how nice a guy is sober, when he drives drunk, he is an A$$hole and too many good people have been killed by them in Alaska!

Don't care if they get drunk and can't walk, as long as they take a cab or stay put. I would bet everyone here has been affected by a drunk driver in one way or another.... And it wasn't a positive moment!

Last edited by starlite9; 11-22-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
One thing I didn't mention and forgot to. If I stop and someone in the ditch is drunk, I leave them there and. All the Troopers to come save them with a warm room and three Squares a day.

Have no use for people that drive drunk on the road, they kill too many people and the safest place for them is in the ditch or jail. Don't care if they get drunk and can't walk, as long as they take a cab or stay put. I would bet everyone here has been affected by a drunk driver in one way or another.... And it wasn't a positive moment!
Yep. Good point. Let the cops deal with them. I kinda wonder how the guy I pushed out got in the ditch. I wonder if he was texting or something. He had come out of a short culdesac to T on a subdivision road. He went through the stop sign and into the ditch on the other side. It was like he didn't even know there was a T until it was too late.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Yep. Good point. Let the cops deal with them. I kinda wonder how the guy I pushed out got in the ditch. I wonder if he was texting or something. He had come out of a short culdesac to T on a subdivision road. He went through the stop sign and into the ditch on the other side. It was like he didn't even know there was a T until it was too late.

Even texting, the police can pull your cell bill and find the exact time you sent a text...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska