Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:50 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times

Advertisements

like any area...until it affects a major populated area you don't hear about it and the people deal with it and move on....the major metropolitan area people whine and complain waiting for help to arrive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
Wasn't it the fear of a storm surge and severe beach erosion that were getting so much media attention, rather than high winds? 70 mile an hour winds aren't really a big deal anywhere immediately on the west coast, at least as far as northern California or so.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Wasn't it the fear of a storm surge and severe beach erosion that were getting so much media attention, rather than high winds? 70 mile an hour winds aren't really a big deal anywhere immediately on the west coast, at least as far as northern California or so.
Anytime there is a coastal storm you have erosion along the shore. Just nowadays it is blamed on man made global warming which has become a religion to the followers of Gore, and a major source of money to the scammers that push it (that would be Gore again)

Global warming has gone on for centuries, and will keep doing it long after we have eraticated ourselves off the planet. Twenty five thousand years ago (don't have specific dates) the Great Lakes were under ice sheets a mile thick, there were also Wooly Mamouths walking around Alaska. It's all gone now, so what, that is what Nature does, it evolves and at some point we are going to be evolved off this ride as well, sooner if we keep being stupid about cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Wasn't it the fear of a storm surge and severe beach erosion that were getting so much media attention, rather than high winds?
That's what I keep telling myself, and that's what I think a knowledgeable person would take away from the coverage. However, my comment was aimed more to point out that it appears the media are increasingly trying to manufacture crises before the fact, for their own nefarious purposes.

But to the point of the wind, I was down in Salt Lake City this week for a meeting. I had at least half a dozen people ask me how I was getting home since it obviously must be impossible to land a plane in those 100+ mph winds!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:12 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
Hasn't there been palm fossils, or some other similar tropical plant, been found in northern AK?
I seem to remember reading they were found along some river bed or something.
The Earth cools, warms, cools again, and warms again, over thousands of years.

And just to add something about the Great Lakes. It's been discovered that there has been 3 or 4 different ice sheets that formed the lakes, each time digging deeper and wider.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
In the past on the north slope when drilling for oil, many palm plant fossils have been uncovered. Alaska used to be a tropical zone before the poles shifted eons ago.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Hasn't there been palm fossils, or some other similar tropical plant, been found in northern AK?
I seem to remember reading they were found along some river bed or something.
The Earth cools, warms, cools again, and warms again, over thousands of years.

And just to add something about the Great Lakes. It's been discovered that there has been 3 or 4 different ice sheets that formed the lakes, each time digging deeper and wider.

There is a place on the Yukon River that is called the "Bone Yard"... There is a lot of fossils found there as well as a lot of wierd plants that come from a lot time ago that seem to thrive as the seeds thaw out. The seeds seemed to have done just fine when frozen all these thousands of years.

As the Yukon river cuts into the banks, you see an assortment of bones and Ivory Tusks sticking out of the banks. It is suppose to be illegal to dig them out, but seems if they don't they are just going to fall into the river and be lost.

Lots of the guys that mine gold will uncover them as well, but since they are found on their mine, they can keep them.

Funny how all the bones and ivory found are from mines....

Old 11-13-2011, 06:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Sounds like a fascinating place to visit Star...

Devils lake, in Wisconsin is another example of the glacier and the ice age.. some of the oldest explosed rock in the lower 48 on many of the trails there.

It's a shame we don't see more about the weather in your areas. I, for one, would like to see what it's like. I'm just going to have to experience it for my self I suppose

Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
That surely would be a fascinating place to visit Starlite! know of any photos around of that area??

Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,242,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
There is a place on the Yukon River that is called the "Bone Yard"... There is a lot of fossils found there as well as a lot of wierd plants that come from a lot time ago that seem to thrive as the seeds thaw out. The seeds seemed to have done just fine when frozen all these thousands of years.

As the Yukon river cuts into the banks, you see an assortment of bones and Ivory Tusks sticking out of the banks. It is suppose to be illegal to dig them out, but seems if they don't they are just going to fall into the river and be lost.

Lots of the guys that mine gold will uncover them as well, but since they are found on their mine, they can keep them.

Funny how all the bones and ivory found are from mines....
That sounds right. Think that is where I had heard/read about. I find it quite interesting in regards to what you said about the plants coming from seeds. Do they only last the summer and then another "crop" comes out from different type of seed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska