Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 07:53 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times

Advertisements

Apparently this is a new thing in the valley where you can register to cull a moose out of season that is being a 'nuisance' around neighbourhoods. One of the nurses at work today was telling me her husband and his brother were out to get their moose as they were 3rd on the list and had been called this morning.
Sounds like a good idea to me, we had a moose hanging around our home with a badly broken leg so called the animal control who informed us that nature would take care of it, seemed cruel to leave the animal in distress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Apparently this is a new thing in the valley where you can register to cull a moose out of season that is being a 'nuisance' around neighbourhoods. One of the nurses at work today was telling me her husband and his brother were out to get their moose as they were 3rd on the list and had been called this morning.
Sounds like a good idea to me, we had a moose hanging around our home with a badly broken leg so called the animal control who informed us that nature would take care of it, seemed cruel to leave the animal in distress.
Yes, that is a normal response. My brother has had a yearling bothering his goat for hay. It has threatened to kick him several times, rearing up and stiking out with front hooves. So far he has been able to get it to back off with a 2x4 but I think he better call these guys.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:41 PM

370 posts, read 882,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
That seems cruel and inhumane. I wonder if the State troopers may have been the better ones to call rather than animal control. If this was recent, maybe try the troopers. ?
Jen

Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
Nope, they wouldn't do anything about it either Jen.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:52 AM

370 posts, read 882,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Nope, they wouldn't do anything about it either Jen.
I suppose whoever hit it with a car, to break that leg, reported it. I find that wrong and wonder what legalities would happen to someone who shot a big game after possibly, "witnessing" a collision that broke its leg? Then again, no one witnessed that moose get its leg broken.

Jen
p.s. are there rules agains culling an animal that is distessed? I know in Texas there are rules allowing things like shooting your horse if it is mortally wounded/distressed...do they have something like that here? I don't think I'd call or turn anyone in for DOING the humane thing. However, BIG difference here is that it is a big game animal and there are rules about not wasting so, hmmm...that gets respect too.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Sounds like someone was listening and put together a program to take care of injured/nuisance animals. It is inhumane to let them suffer and a waste of meat to let "nature take care of it". Florida has recently put together programs to take care of nuisance Alligators and snakes, I can't see this being any different.

Marty - Next time your brother chases a moose with a 2x4 can you video that for us to see?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:39 AM

4 posts, read 6,930 times
I don't think I'd call or turn anyone in for DOING the humane thing. http://www.depin.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 AM

868 posts, read 1,426,095 times
It sounds like a good idea, particularly if it allows the humane killing of a mortally wounded animal, but I see some potential for abuse here, too, unless they provide a pretty clear explanation of what defines a "nuisance" moose.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Sounds like someone was listening and put together a program to take care of injured/nuisance animals. It is inhumane to let them suffer and a waste of meat to let "nature take care of it". Florida has recently put together programs to take care of nuisance Alligators and snakes, I can't see this being any different.

Marty - Next time your brother chases a moose with a 2x4 can you video that for us to see?
Nothing goes to waste by allowing nature to take care of it, particularly during the winter. A dead moose will feed dozens of other critters for weeks, when food is hard to come by.

While is it normal for us to have compassion for any injured critter, nature has no such emotions. We have a tendency to look at things from a human-centric position, which is why we consider it to be "inhumane." However, wild critters are not human and they live in a completely different environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJazzyP View Post
It sounds like a good idea, particularly if it allows the humane killing of a mortally wounded animal, but I see some potential for abuse here, too, unless they provide a pretty clear explanation of what defines a "nuisance" moose.
I tend to agree, there is certainly room for abuse with this policy. I would not want to see someone taking a moose out of season unless it truly was mortally injured or a nuisance. I would think it is reasonable to require a nuisance moose be reported no less than twice BEFORE it is shot for that purpose. Furthermore, I would want reports of a nuisance moose (or any wild critter) investigated.

If someone plants fruit trees in their yard and does nothing to protect them, for example, and moose are eating those trees, I do not consider that to be a nuisance. I consider that to be the stupidity of the person who planted the trees and did nothing to protect them, and they got what they deserve.

On the other hand, moose can be particularly ornery and can certainly be a nuisance when they want to be. If they pose a physical threat, or has repeatedly caused damage to property, then they need to be taken down. We already have State laws that permit such an action to be taken, particularly when someone's life is threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska