Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:38 PM

25 posts, read 79,321 times

Advertisements

After selling our home for the third time this year we are closing on it Friday morning. I've been packing like a mad man. We are hoping to get on the road next Tuesday. We will be driving from the ArmPit of America (Detroit). We had hoped to be in Soldotna in April, but things didn't work out that way. I was wondering about driving? Will we be dealing with snow storms in the mountains this time of year? I have a new Dodge Ram 4x4 quad cab and will be pulling a 18' cargo trailer. We are use to driving in snow just not doing it in moutain ranges. Any advise? Chains?
We plan on taking Hwy 1 the Alaskan Hwy. Thanks ! I can't wait to get there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,165,020 times
Should be fine for now. Just remember to take your time and when you get tired pull over to a rest area and stretch or nap. Here are a few links on road conditions in Canada...

Canada and United States Travel - Highway and Road Conditions, Weather, Airports, Ferries, Traffic and Transit

Drive BC

Government of Yukon, Department of Highway and Public Works - Transportation - Road Report (http://www.gov.yk.ca/roadreport/ - broken link)

http://www.511.alaska.gov/ (broken link)

You MUST stop in Laird River Hot Springs, nothing like a soak in hot water to relax after a long day of driving.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:11 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
Defiately stop at Laird. You may run into some snow north of Edmonton and anywhere in between there and Soldotna. We've had 3 good frosts in Sterling already. This month, and termination dust on the Kenai Mountains. You can also see the Alaska road cameras at Road Weather Information, Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska , just highlight the area of the state and then go from there.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM

One other thing, if you think you have enough music, that means you don't! Bring a ipod with one of them fm adapters or if your if you have a mp3 cd player burn a bunch of discs. Can never bring too much music or take too many pictures.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,446,603 times
I was driving in a bit of snow tonight at the 2500 foot level, predictions for snow at 1000' here in Fairbanks, probably wont stick yet.

Make sure you don't overload the trailer, it may try to push you around. Don't get in a hurry and make sure your stops time for daytime in Watson Lake. Last fuel for a long ways.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 AM

I'd plan on staying over night if you can in Fort Nelson so you can do the Rocky Mountain portion in the day time, this is not a place to be at night. There are a lot of blind corners and animals on the road at night time, not only in this portion, but anywhere else on the road. Between Watson Lake and Whitehorse there are a few places open for gas year round, shouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,858,180 times
Watch for Bison and Elk on the road! Hitting a Bison is like hitting a fur covered brick wall. And grab me one of those pink quartz rocks just north of Muncho Lake. They will be on your left about 8 miles north of the lodge. I need one for my pond!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 PM

The bison are huge.....
they can be impossible to see at night and it would hurt to hit one. This is north of Laird hot springs. Like I mentioned before, try to do the Rocky mountains in the day time from Fort Nelson.

this is why you should do the Rockies in the day, a lot of blind corners and steep drop offs....

And plus, you can see Muncho Lake in the day time

Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM

Oh, Caribou are hard to see at night, too. They normally don't run off the road until you get right up to them.

Don't forget to take a break at Watson Lake and visit the Sign Post Forest

Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 PM

25 posts, read 79,321 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. Rance, you have my wife all worked up about Pink Quarts. LOL... We are taking our time driving up. I plan on doing all daylight driving to enjoy the ride. I plan on driving 8 t0 10 hours a day, I guess it will take us 7 to 10 days to get there.

We dodge alot of Deer here, but hitting a Deer would be nothing like hitting a Bison or Moose.

We are almost packed, We should be hitting the road Monday. After we get there and get back on-line I'll let you guys know how the trip went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska