Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times

Advertisements

There is a job that I am considering applying for in Skagway. I have read quite a few of the threads about the city, but still have some questions.

1) How dead is Skagway in the winter? Do most of the restaurants shut down altogether?

2) Given that the city is quiet the majority of the year, what TV and internet options are available in the City? I assume a lot of people use satellite TV. Also, is it true that the internet is metered?

3) How much more expensive is it to buy online and ship to a place like Skagway? For instance, does it become cost prohibitive, with shipping, to order a lot of things from places like Amazon?

Anything else that someone might want to volunteer would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Skagway is a tourist town and from what I've heard it is fairly dead during the winter. I don't know what is or isn't open during winter. As for shipping, some places will only ship 2nd day air to Alaska. Many times the shipping will be more than the item purchased. Over time, you learn what places offer reasonable shipping costs. For instance, Amazon.com will ship free on the noted over $25 purchase and others subsidize shipping with normal shipping charges. Other places will ship USPS, which is cheaper than 2nd day air. For big items, you can have them delivered to one of the barge lines in Seattle/Tacoma. They will then barge it up at a reasonable cost. It's really handy when they offer free shipping in the lower 48.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 AM

623 posts, read 959,129 times
It's dead in winter, but some people like it. Unemployment is pretty high and only a very few businesses stay open during the winter including the liquor store, food market, hardware store. I've lived a summer there and really enjoyed it but not sure how I would handle the Winter. Haines is much preferable IMO.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Skagway is pretty dead in the winter compared to the summer months, but there's an active local community that keeps busy. It's got an excellent school if you've got kids. Real estate is expensive and rentals are hard to find. I think that there is one restaurant that stays open during the winter.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Is this true about food in small-town Alaska in general or is it specific to Barrow? (Life in Barrow, AK)

Eating at restaurants in Barrow isn't like "going out" to eat in other places. Or at least it isn't for 1 or 2 people, though for a family it gets to be the same. The reason is because it's really difficult for 1 person, and barely possible for 2, to buy food cheaper than the food at a restaurant.

I could see where this would be the case economically. I don't have kids and I prefer to eat out, so it sounds like an ideal situation.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM

I don't think you'll find grocery store prices as extreme in Skagway as in Barrow. A lot of residents drive to Whitehorse once every month or two to buy groceries in bulk, which keeps food costs down. Prices in the local grocery store are pretty high, though, and they frequently run out of things, particularly when the weather is too rough for the weekly barge to get in. It's a good idea to keep your cupboards well stocked in the event that this happens. If you like dining out, you won't have many options during the winter.

If you don't already know this, you can read the local paper online here:

The Skagway News

Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I applied for the job (which is permanent) but I have no idea what will happen. I just like having as good an idea about a place from the outset as possible.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Oh, and if fresh fruits and vegetables are important to you, get to the grocery store as soon as they unload from the barge; they go quickly. You'll find out what day the barge comes in (I think it's on a Tuesday but can't recall). During the summer, don't even go in the local store if you can help it -- the lines and crowds are awful.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM

222 posts, read 389,854 times
And don't forget Costco is a short ferry ride to Juneau.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh, and if fresh fruits and vegetables are important to you, get to the grocery store as soon as they unload from the barge; they go quickly. You'll find out what day the barge comes in (I think it's on a Tuesday but can't recall). During the summer, don't even go in the local store if you can help it -- the lines and crowds are awful.
Fresh fruit and veggies don't matter to me in the least. As long as I can get frozen pizza, frozen meat, ramen noodles, peanut butter, bread, milk, coffee and beer, I'll be fine.

I'd be more concerned with being able to get TV and internet, which appears to be doable. Housing actually seems to be the biggest hurdle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska