Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM

51 posts, read 255,423 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I want a job as a fish processor. HAs anyone had a positive experience with yours? Any good reccomendations of companies?

What I want is decent pay, and a couple days off a week, at least one so I can hunt or fish or just do nothing.

Any come to mind?

Thanks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
I think that if you do a bit of snooping you would change your mind about "wanting" to work at one.
Desperate folks end up with jobs at those big processing plants.
I have heard horror stories about the floating canneries, Can't you do better than that ?
Even getting a job on a commercial fishing boat can be better and exciting work but strenuous.
The pay is worth the harder work.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Unisea Inc. Home

Trident Seafoods :: Home

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
It will be difficult to find one that will give you days off. i have worked in many processing plants, the slowest was only 12 hour days, 7 days a week, the busiest had me working from 7am to 2am 7 days a week during the peak. You will start at minimum wage, or close, but make a TON of overtime. It is pretty miserable work, and the reality is that at the end of the season, you are by no means swimming in the cash. It just isn't one of those jobs where you work, get a few days off and go back in on Monday, you work when there are fish, period.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
When I was 18 I had a job at a small fish processing plant. This was one where we did most of the work by hand. We had a "header" at the head of the table where he cut off the head and sent the fish down one side or the other of the table. The next guy gutted it, the next guy sliced the blood line and scooped out the blood, the next guy washed the fish and put it in a tote for the freezer guys. These fish were sold to restaurants whole and were supposed to be "pretty". One of my first days on the job I joined almost everyone else by puking into the gut bucket a few times a day until I got used to the blood and smell. On our longest day we worked for 26 hours with only a few 1/2 hour breaks.

You don't get days off unless there is a strike or no fish.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
I started working the canneries at age 14. Many kids used to skip school come April, just to go work herring at the local canneries. I have hundreds of hours on the gut line too. I used to work 18 hour shifts and sleep in my old ford van right in the parking lot of the cannery. If I was lucky, I had a slack day and could sneak home for a shower maybe once a week. The blood and guts never bothered me. But we stunk to high heaven when we ran to town for groceries, and would get some serious looks of concern from many folks who had to stand behind us at the checkout line!

It was miserable most of the time...but it was good money when I was young.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
But we stunk to high heaven when we ran to town for groceries, and would get some serious looks of concern from many folks who had to stand behind us at the checkout line!

It was miserable most of the time...but it was good money when I was young.
I worked a shrimp season in a plant in Kodiak in the mid 70's. Never got the shrimp smell out of my clothes so had to throw them away.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
I worked three days at a processing place in Hoonah before I went across the street and got a job in the grocery store. Best move I ever made...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I worked a shrimp season in a plant in Kodiak in the mid 70's. Never got the shrimp smell out of my clothes so had to throw them away.
Herring was really bad. They'd brine the fish which firmed the eggs, and after ripping the half rotten mushy fish in half for a week straight, there was no getting that smell out of clothes!

I think minimum wage was about $4.00 an hour back then. And we'd get 50 cents a basket of herring eggs picked. That and overtime was decent money for a teenager.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I think minimum wage was about $4.00 an hour back then. And we'd get 50 cents a basket of herring eggs picked. That and overtime was decent money for a teenager.
I was paid $20 a day. No overtime. I thought it was great until that 26 hour day. That's what they called it...one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska