Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 19,745 times

Advertisements

Hi. My first time on here and if i did not post in the right place i am sorry.

I hope to move to Alaska within a couple of years. I want remote living with road access ( I dont like neighbors) Now i have found plenty of land for sale and good price. Now what i cant find is builders of cabins online. Does anyone have a website of a builder that builds cabins with prices? I just want to get an estimate of how much it cost.

One more thing. I have seen all the shows from Buying Alaska and one place just blew me away i loved it. Its called the Skycatcher cabin. I cannot find anything online about it or who manufacturers it. anyone know?? I would love that more than anything. Here is a link to the picture if the embed code does not work.
http://i47.tinypic.com/35b728m.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:45 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
The bad news: doing what you describe is not a good idea. There's way too much to learn about rural life in Alaska to learn on an internet forum. Particularly if you have some sort of dream to "live off the land." Not going to happen. Save up at least a couple months worth of living expenses, come up, rent a place, get a job, and THEN you'll be ready to start learning about buying land, building a cabin, and everything else about rural life here. One little hint though: if land is cheap, it probably has serious issues with permafrost, drainage, road access, or the availability of power and water (expensive to dig a well). You must address these questions before you buy anything here.

The good news: Several places around the state have rental cabins on back roads with few neighbors, as well as a large enough population base that you should be able to find work appropriate for your skill level. Places like the outskirts of Fairbanks, Palmer / Wasilla, and Kenai / Soldotna. You can find everything from beautiful nicely equipped cabins to one room shacks without running water and only a wood stove for heat. Seems like this will approximate what you're looking for in the short term, and allow you to see whether this is really where you want to live and put down roots.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
If it's cheap there's a good chance it ain't good and if it's good there's a good chance it ain't cheap.

Rural in Alaska means no roads, no power, no telephone, no cell service and no help if something goes wrong.

Here's a link to a local builder that specializes in cabins: Friesen's Custom Cabins

Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
That cabin by the way, was sold... And it wasn't cheap!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
That cabin was home built.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,253 times
http://www.friesenscustomcabins.com/faqspage.htm

http://www.creativewoodworksak.com/

http://www.timberlinelogcabins.com/

http://www.sbsalaska.com/support/sbscabins.html

Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The bad news: doing what you describe is not a good idea. There's way too much to learn about rural life in Alaska to learn on an internet forum. Particularly if you have some sort of dream to "live off the land." Not going to happen. Save up at least a couple months worth of living expenses, come up, rent a place, get a job, and THEN you'll be ready to start learning about buying land, building a cabin, and everything else about rural life here. One little hint though: if land is cheap, it probably has serious issues with permafrost, drainage, road access, or the availability of power and water (expensive to dig a well). You must address these questions before you buy anything here.

The good news: Several places around the state have rental cabins on back roads with few neighbors, as well as a large enough population base that you should be able to find work appropriate for your skill level. Places like the outskirts of Fairbanks, Palmer / Wasilla, and Kenai / Soldotna. You can find everything from beautiful nicely equipped cabins to one room shacks without running water and only a wood stove for heat. Seems like this will approximate what you're looking for in the short term, and allow you to see whether this is really where you want to live and put down roots.

That i know. I dont plan on living off the land except for fishing . The property i found is about 90 miles from Fairbanks on the road system and a cell tower within 6 miles with full 3G capabilities. I do plan on checking any property first before i buy by a license company like an inspector. Power i plan on going full Solar power for the summer and generators for winter if i need it. And if possible with enough wind also get a wind turbine. The property i was checking already has a well for water but i do plan on buying a large storage tank for water. The guy selling the property is in desperate need of money so probably why its so cheap ($50,000) for 40 acres. (I dont plan on handing any money over without first going to lawyers and making sure its legit) a few acres have been cleared for cabin or whatever. As for work. I own two scooter performance shops in Puerto Rico which are doing great and i also sell the parts on ebay and GY6 150cc RACING PARTS which do great also (ebay more) lol Plus i dont plan on living year round. Plan on most of the summer and would like to try a winter to see how it is. as for renting i do plan on doing that first before anything. Thanks everybody for all your help.

My reason for leaving is i am sick and tired of Puerto Rico. If it was not for my businesses i would leave right now. The crime here is just insane! So many thieves, drug dealers, project housing complexes, murders and very nosy neighbors. I dont go out at night ( i am 25 years old) After i close my store i go straight home. I am the type of person who prefers to be left alone. Plus i am sick of the 95 degree weather every single day of the year.

Last edited by scooterelements; 03-12-2013 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That cabin by the way, was sold... And it wasn't cheap!
Yea i saw the episode of BUYING ALASKA. I fell in love with it.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
It sounds like you have a decent plan.... We get a lot of people who post on these forums who want to hitchhike to Alaska and "live off the land" with no idea of what all is involved. So some of us tend to be a little dismissive of those with dreams of wild living.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
Yes, OP is further along than I had assumed. $50k for a large parcel is not unreasonably low in this part of the state. Although it's highly advisable to walk any property before you buy it, I can probably give some insight on the quality of the land if you link me to an aerial photo or give an address to plug into google earth, especially if you're on the Delta side of Fairbanks (I map wetlands for a living).

Again, if near Delta, you might want to talk to this guy about building. I don't have any personal experience with their products, but just know they're here:
http://daltonlogshells.com/Dalton_Log_Shells_LLC.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska