Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times

Advertisements

Brainwashed that they need to please The Lord? I guess it's just not part of how I grew up and I'll never understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 10:35 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
So, it does look the Census Bureau does do ongoing surveys, not just every 10 years.
Frequently Asked Questions about Our Surveys
To find out if you are in a legit one, contact the Regional Office: 1-800-992-3530 Los Angeles Region - U.S. Census Bureau

From the website:

4. How will you contact me?

For households, once we select your household for a survey or census, we send you an official letter from the U.S. Census Bureau director. We address the letter to “resident”.

• Depending on the survey, there are four options for responding: online, by completing and mailing back the form, in a phone interview, or through an in-person interview with a trained Field Representative at your home. We will provide you with specific instructions about how to respond to your survey.
  • If we mailed you a form, and we do not receive a completed survey from you, we may follow up with a phone call or personal visit from one of our trained interviewers. Sometimes, a Census Bureau Field Representative will contact you directly and provide information about the survey at that time.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
But if they are legitimately with the Census Bureau, they should have the official ID.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
That's the part I don't get. It's not about the money to them, so why is their investment so high in getting me to join the ranks?
I don't know. I stopped trying to figure out religious idiots long ago.

Many it's some sort of ego thing. It takes a lot of -- something -- to knock on a total stranger's door for the purpose of telling them how to think and believe.

I'm sure that most of them believe that they're saving souls, but I wonder how deeply they question themselves.

I don't believe anyone said that the Census only comes around every 10 years.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You are correct about not letting them come into your house. I politely ask them to get out of my property, but after reminding them that I already answered the survey. If they come back to the door, the dog will make such a racket that they never come back again

I found this on the Internet (relates to what to do when a census worker knocks at your door):
Ding Dong, Census Calling: What to Do When the Census Worker Comes Calling | Census This
I find that placing a few of these signs around the property works rather well at keeping most uninvited guests from bothering you.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I find that placing a few of these signs around the property works rather well at keeping most uninvited guests from bothering you.
You sound more like a terrorist than an actual terrorist. That kind of statement is dangerous to make.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:21 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
I was hit this year with one of the ongoing census deals. First letter I threw in the garbage. Second letter I opened (got mad) tossed it on the kitchen table for a few days to think about and then received a third letter (a little more emphatic about the consequences of non-compliance) so filled out the dang thing online. A few days later I had a message on my answering machine from the Census Bureau. I ignored it. A couple of days later I grabbed the ringing phone as I was walking in the door with my arms full of groceries and barking dogs, mewing cat raising a ruckus and it was a gal from the Census Bureau again wanting to go over my answers on the online form. Mildly annoyed with her I did agree to talk to her because some of the questions were quite odd/hard to understand what exactly they wanted to know. She insisted on going through it line by line in addition to an extended (and new section that hadn't been on any version of the previous forms) while telling me I had answered incorrectly. By this time I was getting quite angry, brought up the online form I had filled out, read her the question on my form and told her I answered the question as asked. I finally refused to answer any more questions, told her to take it as is or leave it and hung up on her. I continued for a month or so to receive the same census letters/threats in the mail because they had no record of me ever complying with the online form. I haven't received anything in several months now so I hope that is the end of it. I have always complied with basic information on the 10 year census that makes sense to me at the time since they vary so much from one to another. Invariably I end up annoyed about the follow ups if I don't answer any questions I don't think are appropriate or any of their business, every ten years is no big deal. This new one though is something else entirely and I am still quite uncomfortable about the whole process. I don't know how to explain it though other then to say it felt like it crossed a line and left me feeling that *ick* feeling.

Sweden if your friend is going through this type of situation it is beyond ick. I would call the local law enforcement office and talk to someone about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska