Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 8,354 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm looking for information on Barrow. I'm currently a student in and longtime resident of Florida but am researching options for after graduation. I know almost nothing about Alaska, much less moving out there. I am looking for any relevant information, such as use of a vehicle and how to get one out to Barrow (I'm aware that there is no land route to drive into Barrow so knowing my options would be helpful), utilities available and rough estimates of prices (water, electric, tv, and internet), an idea of what's available to rent in terms of homes and price estimates, and other expenses such as groceries. I've done some research but could use any additional information that could help. Also, how long does mail take to get to and from Barrow to other parts of the US? That's a very specific question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you,
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,619,432 times
Brad,
Are you moving there for a job?
Here's some recent threads that'll answer some of your questions:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...-car-info.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...le-barrow.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/alask...lp-wanted.html

Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM

AKStafford,

I would be trying to acquire a job at the high school. I am currently working on my BA in History and would pursue a teaching job with that. I looked at those other posts but none had exactly what I was looking for (and while helpful I'm trying to collect as much information as possible).

Old 08-10-2015, 11:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1996 View Post
AKStafford,

I would be trying to acquire a job at the high school. I am currently working on my BA in History and would pursue a teaching job with that. I looked at those other posts but none had exactly what I was looking for (and while helpful I'm trying to collect as much information as possible).
Not a good idea, Brad. Barrow, like numerous small and remote towns, is very difficult to move to unless you already have a job. It's extremely expensive to move in, and housing is very difficult to find.

If you want to move to Alaska, move to Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Juneau, and before you do so, have a job waiting for you, plus: enough cash for2 months of renting an apartment, for food, and so on. You won't believe the high cost of living until you move up here.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:28 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Quote:
AKStafford,

You can't get a classroom teaching job in Alaska with just a bachelors in a content area. You have to have a teaching license, and for that you have to have completed an accredited teacher training program, which generally means either a bachelors in Education or a 4 semester post-bac program.

Social Studies teachers are the least in-demand field in Alaska; to get a SS job you generally also have to be certified in a content area of higher demand, or be bringing something great to the table, like being a skilled coach.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Social Studies teachers are the least in-demand field in Alaska; to get a SS job you generally also have to be certified in a content area of higher demand, or be bringing something great to the table, like being a skilled coach.
Social Studies teachers are the least in-demand field pretty much everywhere. Math, science and special ed teachers are what seem to be universally sought after.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times
Barrow has teacher housing. Otherwise all I can say about the housing situation there is, Good Luck!!!

Old 08-11-2015, 04:10 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Social Studies teachers are the least in-demand field pretty much everywhere. Math, science and special ed teachers are what seem to be universally sought after.
One major difference, however, is that in rural and bush Alaska, teachers generally have to teach multiple content areas, due to the small school size. Generally the teachers are SS/English and Science/Math but I have seen other combinations as well, including the daunting "Secondary Generalist" where one has to be legally able to teach basically everything. There simply are not very many SS-only jobs out there, so the competition for the small handful of them is even fiercer than average.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:32 PM

Thank you all for the input. My plan would be to finish my degrees and see if anything I have is certifiable in Alaska and can be applied to any positions in the school district at the time. Knowing housing is potentially available for teachers is certainly helpful so now it's just a matter of wrapping up my education and then seeing if it's applicable in Barrow. I'd also like to thank the people who pm'd me other information regarding Barrow, it's certainly helpful!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the input. My plan would be to finish my degrees and see if anything I have is certifiable in Alaska and can be applied to any positions in the school district at the time. Knowing housing is potentially available for teachers is certainly helpful so now it's just a matter of wrapping up my education and then seeing if it's applicable in Barrow. I'd also like to thank the people who pm'd me other information regarding Barrow, it's certainly helpful!
In order to get an AK certification there are classes related to Alaskan history / culture which are probably not offered in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska