Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,803 times

Advertisements

After getting out of bed this morning to make a survey of the house, I come to find glass and pottery vases had fallen from atop the kitchen cabinets, broke on the counter on the way to the floor, and damaged the brand new flooring I had installed over the Christmas holiday. On the bright side, things could be much worse.

I hope no one else suffered anything worse out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:25 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
Oh man that sucks! What kind of floor is it? But like you say, could be so much worse. I hope everyone is okay.

We had quite the shaker up here around the same time and I slept right through it. Two people have said that it was a 6.4 but I am thinking they have to be confused or dyslexic. I do sleep pretty hard but could I really sleep through a 6.4??

Old 01-24-2016, 09:42 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
I think we felt it in SE. Around 2AM there was a wee bit of shaking.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Oh man that sucks! What kind of floor is it? But like you say, could be so much worse. I hope everyone is okay.

We had quite the shaker up here around the same time and I slept right through it. Two people have said that it was a 6.4 but I am thinking they have to be confused or dyslexic. I do sleep pretty hard but could I really sleep through a 6.4??
Vinyl plank flooring, not difficult to replace individual planks, but it is time consuming as I have to disassemble, then reassemble the floor. The pieces interlock somewhat like a jigsaw puzzle, for lack of better comparison.

We are fine, thanks for asking, just lost a little sleep. After the shaking stopped I had to go check the garage, where the gas fired boiler and water heater are located, to check that all was intact and not leaking water or gas.I did not want to get woken up again due to a gas explosion.

All in all, I think the biggest irritation was the fact that I had to clean up broken shards of glass and pottery from all over the kitchen counters and floor, before I had my morning coffee!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:00 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
I'm at work in Swanson River Oilfield. My living quarters is a trailer house mounted on a semi trailer. So it sits about 5' off the ground. Thought it was going to tip over. Pretty violent but exciting wake up. I'm 20 miles from our house in Sterling. I stay here at the rig my 2 weeks on. I will be making a mad dash home this evening to check on damage. The Mrs is still out of state so the house is empty. Hope the fridge doors are closed! I'm sure there are things on the floor. Biggest concern is the river rock front wall of the house and garage. They are heavy and they might be flopped over in the yard and roofs collapsed. Fingers are crossed. 7.1 is one heck of a ride!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:25 PM

Best wishes for a positive return home, Rance!

Old 01-24-2016, 12:25 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,679 times
ADN.com has a link to a facebook picture of Huffman Carrs that is scary. I'm not far from there but had no damage.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:11 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,762 times
Woke up my family in Anchorage and ER. I see that fires started on the Kenai and some gas and water lines broke.

Glad everyone here so far is OK.

Even though right now I am not there, I still got woken up because I got the phone call...

Riceme originally it was sent out as a 6.4 and then upgraded to a 7.1.

Sorry about the floor and stuff AK76. I hope Rance finds no damage as well.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:16 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,021 times
^According to the EQ maps we didn't have anything larger than a 2.0 here last night, so either it was right underneath us (which doesn't seem to be the case) or my friends felt the 7.1M. Based on my limited knowledge of Alaska geology, I am guessing it was option #2.

Rance, I hope all is well back at the homestead. Let us know!

Old 01-24-2016, 02:27 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Had the neighbor stop by and he said the walls are still standing! I just hope the guts are fine. Fridge might be open, but the water heater should still be upright. Lot's of stuff on shelves tho. Used to be at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska